Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries G1 with Golds
Hi 

Just wanted to share with you how the Aries G1 (streamer) was able to improve the soundstage and bring in more detail and warmth to my Phantom Golds.
The difference in clarity is pretty significant in my opinion. It sounds like more Analog than Digital.
You should give it a try.

Cheers
Hi
How do you hook up the G1 to the Phantom Golds?
Through optical (toslink)
Olivier4444 thanks for sharing. Had did you decide on the Aries g1? I ask because given my budget and I have been looking at lower cost streamers like the Yamaha wxc-50 but if they don’t take full advantage of the phantom’s DAC then I am willing to save up.
(13-Nov-2019, 14:20)JDtheJD Wrote: Olivier4444 thanks for sharing.  Had did you decide on the Aries g1?  I ask because given my budget and I have been looking at lower cost streamers like the Yamaha wxc-50 but if they don’t take full advantage of the phantom’s DAC then I am willing to save up.

Hi
I didn't really know much about streamers and what they were capable of. This link is what made me decide on the G1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bO1RHX3LuQ
Know perhaps it is overdoing it at that price range for phantoms but I do feel music sounds more alive and yet relaxing.
Aside from that, the Aries G1 comes with a great streaming app "DS lightning" which to me is far better in use than Spark and almost at par with Roon.
Hope it helps.
(14-Nov-2019, 08:04)Olivier4444 Wrote:
(13-Nov-2019, 14:20)JDtheJD Wrote: Olivier4444 thanks for sharing.  Had did you decide on the Aries g1?  I ask because given my budget and I have been looking at lower cost streamers like the Yamaha wxc-50 but if they don’t take full advantage of the phantom’s DAC then I am willing to save up.

Hi
I didn't really know much about streamers and what they were capable of. This link is what made me decide on the G1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bO1RHX3LuQ
Know perhaps it is overdoing it at that price range for phantoms but I do feel music sounds more alive and yet relaxing.
Aside from that, the Aries G1 comes with a great streaming app "DS lightning" which to me is far better in use than Spark and almost at par with Roon.
Hope it helps.

Hi Olivier4444,

I realize this is an old thread... but I also have the Auralic Aries G1 working with my Phantoms.  I agree it is probably overdoing it and it is totally overkill from a cost perspective, but it sounds surprisingly better and is much more relaxed.  Not sure how this is possible exactly, but it is true.  Roon implementation has been improved on the Aries G1 and now sounds on par with the Lightning DS.  The Aries sounds much more coherent and less "edgy" than the new DOS2 implementation of Roon in my opinion.  Just wanted to put my two cents in as I think the Aries G1 and the Phantoms are most likely a rare combination, but it really works.  I took the Aries out of my system for a month when the DOS2 Roon update was released just to be sure (and with the plan to sell it - as it was less than a year old and I could make back some good money) but after putting the Aries G1 back in I enjoyed listening that much more and the "Can't wait until everyone's asleep so I can stream lots of music all night," energy and sound came through the whole system...
Roon Core on headless Mac Mini i5 via wifi --> Auralic Aries G1 --> Audioquest Forest Optical --> Devialet Phantom Premiere Classics, stereo pair DOS 2.14.4