Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS 2 potential problems
Dear All,

On my Phantom Golds I’m listening mostly to Qobuz, sometimes CD entering optical to Dialog.

If I correctly understood, I will need to run simultaneously THREE applications for Qobuz, another one to listen to Radio Stations and I will need to wire very long optical cable to one Phantom to connect CD player. Perhaps LAN cable to Phantom will be needed.

It is highly inconvenient and contrary to Network Speaker Philosophy - no cables.

Did Devialet improved something in sound (for example time response) ?

Not being able to downgrade to DOS 1 is yet another argument against upgrade.

When we could expect a reasonable application having at least Spark functionality ?

Best

Andrzej
(12-Nov-2019, 18:42)Andrzej Wrote: Dear All,

On my Phantom Golds I’m listening mostly to Qobuz, sometimes CD entering optical to Dialog.

If I correctly understood, I will need to run simultaneously THREE applications for Qobuz, another one to listen to Radio Stations and I will need to wire very long optical cable to one Phantom to connect CD player. Perhaps LAN cable to Phantom will be needed.

It is highly inconvenient and contrary to Network Speaker Philosophy - no cables.

Did Devialet improved something in sound (for example time response) ?

Not being able to downgrade to DOS 1 is yet another argument against upgrade.

When we could expect a reasonable application having at least Spark functionality ?

Best

Andrzej

Well it depends what setup you are using.

Do you have a server?

If so you can use e.g. Bubble UPnp & MinimServer for a UPnP based workflow. Bubble UPnP (OpenHome) would stream the Qobuz playlists from your server as well as your local library. You then need an app as a control point which would also control volume (see also my thread on this). The good thing is you can test that configuration on DOS1 before you switch. There is a way to create radio station "playlists" as long as your Radio station has a webstream (you can also use any App that provides Internet Radio on your Phone and stream e.g. via AirPlay). There are pro's and con's for such a solution. I actually find it quite convenient now that it is running. 

If you do not have a server then you can also run everything from your phone e.g. the Qobuz App via AirPlay or UPnP streaming (e.g. mconnect). It is just that you stream to the phone and then from the phone to Phantom while with the above solution you stream from the server to Phantom (a flow comparable to Spark where Dialog took the "server" part).

The Dialog can still be be used as an input device for optical. Like before. I use it with Pre-AirPlay Phantoms and it works (I guess it works for the later Phantoms as well). So yes, there might be more apps, but each of them provides more features than Spark.

The question however is, how deep Devialet wants to get into this whole "App" thing. The more functionality, the more problems and the more frustration with customers who want certain things to be handled differently. Best example is Spark. Did it work? Yes - It took them a while though. Did it have it's flaws? Certainly so. The new DOS2 seems to be a more flexible OS that has a focus on processing , interfaces and standards. I expect them to integrate more features over time (they talk a bit about their roadmap on the support site). I am not sure though how much will end up in the Devialet app and what will be manageable by other Apps already on the market.

I tested the UPnP setup for a week or so before I switched. It worked reasonably well and the interface (Luminary's / Linn Kazoo) is so much better and responsive in managing my TIDAL streams and Music Library. The improvements in sound quality are an additional reason to switch. Many people talk positive about it and I experienced quite a substantial improvement with my Phantom White Stereo set (which was upgraded not only in sound profile, but also in output level).

So in the middle and long run there are certainly reasons to upgrade to DOS2. Right now it is not for everybody. I definitely recommend to read the Devialet instructions for Migration, their Help websites and the postings in this forum thoroughly. You are right, you cannot go back, but there seem to be some good things going on with DOS2.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)