Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best turntables
This comment is a bit tongue in cheek!

Although I have been 100% Roon for some time, I am still tempted by vinyl only to realize that I don’t want to deal with the physical space needed to store them.

But the I see a great looking turn table and I am tempted again... :-)

But then I read some reviews of really good turn tables and all the qualities that differentiate them from cheaper ones (lack of noise, darker background,...) are things that pure digital does basically perfectly, especially if you own a Devialet.

What is the point?

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(01-Aug-2020, 01:02)bernardl Wrote: What is the point?

Cheers,
Bernard

Sound quality concerned for new recordings? There is no point going vinyl.
(01-Aug-2020, 01:02)bernardl Wrote: things that pure digital does basically perfectly

I moved my vinyl collection (only around 500) to new storage the other day and briefly looked at some of the albums. I re-realized that many of the records I own are not available as CDs or downloads. Among those that are, transfer to digital on some is so bad that it's unlistenable, but some are great!. So if I want to play the music I must play vinyl.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Interesting.

Would you happen to have a couple of examples of such albums? I would like to try listening to them in my system to see how unlistenable they are. Who knows, it could one again awake my interest for turntables. :-)

There have been times when I found some albums painful to the ear, but it has nearly always ended up being issue with the system, some components not yet burned in, some cable mismatch,... as of now I am not aware of any album in my 3,000+ albums that I find impossible to listen to. Of course some recordings are much better than others obviously.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1