Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airplay VS optical conversion cable
Reactors are ordered and want to use them with my tv. Is airplay a better connection versus the optical cable to 3.5mm conversion or vice versa?

I use Apple TV and stream all my content. 

If the cable is preferred does it need to go in both or is one fine?

TIA
(04-Dec-2019, 15:09)BrookesBirds Wrote: Reactors are ordered and want to use them with my tv. Is airplay a better connection versus the optical cable to 3.5mm conversion or vice versa?

TIA
Hello,

Congratulations on ordering your Reactors, they are special speakers.

I have mine hooked up to my PC via optical. You only need to plug into 1 side (I have mine plugged into left hand side), the other side will work wirelessly in Stereo after you set the app up on your phone.

I would imagine this is more robust than Airplay but I am happy to be corrected wrong.

I use the Airplay from my iPhone. Put a picture on when it's set up!
Living Room: Devialet Dione
(05-Dec-2019, 09:44)RMK Wrote:
(04-Dec-2019, 15:09)BrookesBirds Wrote: Reactors are ordered and want to use them with my tv. Is airplay a better connection versus the optical cable to 3.5mm conversion or vice versa?

TIA
Hello,

Congratulations on ordering your Reactors, they are special speakers.

I have mine hooked up to my PC via optical. You only need to plug into 1 side (I have mine plugged into left hand side), the other side will work wirelessly in Stereo after you set the app up on your phone.

I would imagine this is more robust than Airplay but I am happy to be corrected wrong.

I use the Airplay from my iPhone. Put a picture on when it's set up!

My experience of using the analogue 3.5mm jack with a stereo pair hasn't been great.  I'm trying to use both aux-in ports on both speakers.  Whichever one you select will work for several days before dropping out of stereo sync.  Try selecting the other aux-in port as the source after the speakers have been powered up for 36+ hours and it will fail and also break the stereo pairing (for all sources).  Both issues can be solved with removing the aux-in cables, power cycling both speakers then plugging the aux-in cables back in but it's very inconvenient.  I've had this issue across 3x Reactor 900w speakers, currently discussing with Devialet.  Both speakers connected to my network via ethernet cable.
Interesting. I don't seem to have this issue although I must admit I turn them off after I've finished using them.

TIA
My Reactor 900 pair is connected via optical cable to my Samsung Frame TV and it works fine. Had it for a week now. My only complaint is that I no longer can control the TV volume through the remote and have to use the Devialet app instead. The Reactors are connected with each other through an Ethernet cable.
(06-Dec-2019, 12:11)Dreuther Wrote:

TIA
My Reactor 900 pair is connected via optical cable to my Samsung Frame TV and it works fine. Had it for a week now. My only complaint is that I no longer can control the TV volume through the remote and have to use the Devialet app instead. The Reactors are connected with each other through an Ethernet cable.
Very nice setup. Any chance of a photo!?
I have the issue with loosing connection between the to reactor 600 since about 2 weeks. It sucks and I don´t understand why they can´t fix it. I Mean, Sonos and Amazon don´t have any of these problems as far as I know. And Amazons speakers are much cheaper.

On a 2.000,- € - pair this has to work!!!

They are connected via Airplay for listening music an via optical cable in the left speaker for TV. They are not connected via ethernet between each other, beacause I baught wireless speakers and want to put them on different places at partys for example.
Today I put a network-cable to connect the left and the reght Reactor. Now they are working as they should. But in this case I can´t place them around my apartment in different rooms at a party.
These are all great to note. I’m going to buy the optical cable conversion for 3.5mm plug tomorrow and will try my luck at this setup.

I set them up with airplay and have noticed I no longer here feedback clicks when navigating my AppleTV which is kind of meh bc I like that feedback.

TIA
If you us an Apple TV I would go for using AirPlay as it will fully compensate for the Reactor's latency (the speakers advertise this information via AirPlay).
Best if used with everything connected via Ethernet.