Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 220/440 review
https://www.audiostream.com/content/devi...r-review-0

It's a nice review.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It is a very nice review. Thanks for providing the link.
I am reminded strongly of what I miss most from the 250 Pro I recently sold: Bass. With SAM, the Devialet 250 Pro is stupendous in bass resolution. I used room correction on top of SAM so I removed most of the room/speaker irregularities - which brought out a definition and clarity in the bass range that was quite addictive. With a D1000 it would be even better!
With my current Tannoys I can have the same amplitude response in the bass that I had in my previous setup, but never the quality I had with the 250 Pro and SAM.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Very few reviews seem to try out all the available inputs. I get much nicer sound through my MIT USB cable than I get through Roon RAAT or AIR. And then there's the AES/EBU input, supposedly the best input to use.

So nice review, but incomplete.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
It's curious that a) AudioStream decided to review the Expert Pro series, and b) Devialet decided to send the reviewer a second amp for a dual-mono review possibility. This suggests to me that the Expert Pro series is at least on life support and not dead. The upcoming putative firmware fix for the Devialet-Roon gigabit handshake issue is further proof.

It's also interesting that the reviewer chose to use AIR (as he used Roon, I am assuming it was Roon AIR) for his listening tests. Had he done some checking, he might have discovered the problem many of us have had with a direct gigabit connection for Roon Ready listening. I think that was a bit of a miss not to report on this but maybe that's too much to expect.

Finally, it's puzzling that the reviewer said he chose asynchronous BitPerfect as the preferred output of AIR, with the other possibility being asynchronous fixed broadband. My understanding is that the choice between the two is made by the Devialet OS and is not a check-the-box option.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(15-Mar-2020, 13:55)Flashman Wrote: It's curious that a) AudioStream decided to review the Expert Pro series, and b) Devialet decided to send the reviewer a second amp for a dual-mono review possibility.  This suggests to me that the Expert Pro series is at least on life support and not dead.  The upcoming putative firmware fix for the Devialet-Roon gigabit handshake issue is further proof. 

It's also interesting that the reviewer chose to use AIR (as he used Roon, I am assuming it was Roon AIR) for his listening tests.  Had he done some checking, he might have discovered the problem many of us have had with a direct gigabit connection for Roon Ready listening.  I think that was a bit of a miss not to report on this but maybe that's too much to expect.

Finally, it's puzzling that the reviewer said he chose asynchronous BitPerfect as the preferred output of AIR, with the other possibility being asynchronous fixed broadband.  My understanding is that the choice between the two is made by the Devialet OS and is not a check-the-box option.
I think he did use Roon AIR. In three of the photo’s, especially the last one on page 2, you can see this on the screen.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Also quite curious that he used rather low end turntable and MM cartridges.

Wonder that he had to tweak the phono configurations as he indicated, there aren't much to tweak on a MM input as far as we know.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(16-Mar-2020, 12:35)alaw Wrote:

Personally, I can't hear a difference between Roon Air, and Devialet Air, and if we accept that the data delivery transport (ethernet cable/route) can't change the sound, then why should it change it at the protocol level? - especially when all inputs are immediately "converted to 24-bit/192kHz before being passed along to the DAC".

I don't think I've seen anyone claim that there's an audible difference between Roon AIR and the Devialet AIR app. What lots of people have said is that Roon AIR works and that Devialet AIR does not work reliably. I guess you could say there is an audible difference if you get music playing when using Roon AIR and you get silence when using Devialet AIR.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I just bought The 440 a couple weeks ago. I haven't noticed a degradation of sound after a few hours. The only complaint I really have is that their instructions on the website could be clearer. I haven't been able to get the wireless streaming going yet. I am a bit of a non tech person though. The prices on Audiogon for Devialet have really come down. I bought for that reason.
(06-Feb-2021, 07:09)glionameghan Wrote: The only complaint I really have is that their instructions on the website could be clearer.
Congrats on your 440.
I am amazed that that is your only complaint! To be honest, I have found this forum to be the most helpful forum ANYWHERE (and the friendliest)- there is real experience and expertise here so hopefully your questions will be answered quickly either in search or if necessary by asking questions here.
All the best.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(16-Mar-2020, 13:19)David A Wrote:
(16-Mar-2020, 12:35)alaw Wrote:

Personally, I can't hear a difference between Roon Air, and Devialet Air, and if we accept that the data delivery transport (ethernet cable/route) can't change the sound, then why should it change it at the protocol level? - especially when all inputs are immediately "converted to 24-bit/192kHz before being passed along to the DAC".

I don't think I've seen anyone claim that there's an audible difference between Roon AIR and the Devialet AIR app. What lots of people have said is that Roon AIR works and that Devialet AIR does not work reliably. I guess you could say there is an audible difference if you get music playing when using Roon AIR and you get silence when using Devialet AIR.

Hum... I haven't tested recently but in my environment Air used to sound better than Raat... but was a lot less stable. I know it's different from what many people reported.

I would need to test again one of these days now that Raat is 100% stable.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1