Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good quality Toslink cable for Phantom Gold...?
Looking for people with experience of using the Toslink port in the Phantom Gold's for 192/24 quality tracks  with no problems, drop outs, etc....that can recommend a good cable...?

To give some context, after waiting and waiting and waiting for Roon support in our Phatom's and to solve my need to have good Chromecast integration for voice control (Spotify) I bought this fantastic all-in-one box the Primare NP5....when I thought I finally found my nirvana and just could star enjoying my music...new problem...not all Toslink cables are made the same and at High Resolutions around 176k+ things get messy with the signal transmission and I'm having issues playing 192k tracks with the Golds, it loses the connection all together "no cable connected", etc....this High Res world it's just a mess... ? ....if I set things to 96k all works fantastic, not a prob with my Toslink standard cable...but I don't need this system for that res and just feel like selling the all thing and go back to my "normal" analog speakers world I came for....
Sorry to hear about your problems. Are you on DOS2?
I'm using an Allo DigiOne with Ropieee as a Roon Endpoint and I've had no problems with 24/192 streaming with a cheap ebay toslink connected to one of the Phantoms. I'm still on DOS1 though.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(19-Jun-2020, 12:14)ragwo Wrote: Sorry to hear about your problems. Are you on DOS2?
I'm using an Allo DigiOne with Ropieee as a Roon Endpoint and I've had no problems with 24/192 streaming with a cheap ebay toslink connected to one of the Phantoms. I'm still on DOS1 though.
Yes, I'm on DOS2...hummm start building the case to reach out to the Devialet support...read a few things around the Toslink connector on the speakers not always be up to scratch....thank you for the feedback thought.
(19-Jun-2020, 12:14)ragwo Wrote: Sorry to hear about your problems. Are you on DOS2?
Sorry, one more question...how long is your cable? I'm using an 1.5m...wondering if a smaller cable could help...
(19-Jun-2020, 12:31)rsemedo Wrote:
Sorry, one more question...how long is your cable? I'm using an 1.5m...wondering if a smaller cable could help...
I'm using a 2m cable.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
are your Golds sitting on Tree stands? I had troubles like that until I realized the tree stands included a Toslink extension cable wired to the speaker. When I removed that and just cabled directly, my RPI worked at high res with Roon like a charm.
(20-Jun-2020, 00:33)diamar Wrote: are your Golds sitting on Tree stands? I had troubles like that until I realized the tree stands included a Toslink extension cable wired to the speaker. When I removed that and just cabled directly, my RPI worked at high res with Roon like a charm.
Yes, I read that as well...no, I'm using the Tripods...

...the strange thing is that if I'm playing with the config on the app, I'm able to setup/play 192/24 tracks etc, but after a while the "no cable connection" happens and the sound it's gone...this never happens if I just leave it at 96k...
I used this (cheap) cable from Amazon, and it worked at high resolution. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...=UTF8&th=1
(20-Jun-2020, 06:07)diamar Wrote: I used this (cheap) cable from Amazon, and it worked at high resolution. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...=UTF8&th=1
Thank you for the feedback...I might give it a try... meantime ordered a Lifatec based on on-line reviews...but it's out-of-stock so need to wait a while...
I'm using the lowest tier of optical cables from AudioQuest and are really happy with them.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante