Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading from stereo homepods
Hello all. I have decided that I want to upgrade my living room system from a stereo pair of Apple homepods as I feel they are somewhat lacking in the midrange. Right now I'm considering a pair of Phantom Reactor 600s. My main concern is my room is rather small (20 square metres perhaps) and I prefer to listen to music at a level where I can still have a conversation. Would I be wasting my money on the Reactors in this case? Do they sound impressive at low volume levels? Thank you for any insights.
Quote:What impresses me more than this, though, is what happens when you turn the volume right down. Even the best passive standmount speakers and amplification tend to shed some of their musical mojo at late-night levels, especially at the frequency extremes. Not so the Devialet. The famous double-bass intro on Simply Red’s Sad Old Red sounds just as rich, thickly textured and resonant, Mick Hucknall’s pipes just as pure and expressive. The bass bomb on McDonald’s God Rest? At two clicks above a whisper it still goes through the floor, but in a localised, un-boomy way that wouldn’t wake a light sleeper in a Japanese bedroom with paper-thick walls. What’s more, the dynamic structure of the track is kept perfectly in proportion.
This is from a review of the Devialet Phantom Reactor 900 by HiFi-Choice.
(28-Jul-2020, 14:00)fsxfan Wrote: Hello all. I have decided that I want to upgrade my living room system from a stereo pair of Apple homepods as I feel they are somewhat lacking in the midrange. Right now I'm considering a pair of Phantom Reactor 600s. My main concern is my room is rather small (20 square metres perhaps) and I prefer to listen to music at a level where I can still have a conversation. Would I be wasting my money on the Reactors in this case? Do they sound impressive at low volume levels? Thank you for any insights.

I´m not a Reactor owner but i had several listenning opportunities and they sound beautifully at any level.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
I have the 600's in a small room and they sound great at any level.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2