Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fixed IP address.
My question is:

What is the advantage, at this moment, of changing the fixed IP in the configurator and what value do I put there?
Just change this number, copy to SD card, and it´s done?
It´ll solve interruption problems and other connectivity issues?
Thanks.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(08-Oct-2020, 23:32)BoyScout Wrote: My question is:

What is the advantage, at this moment, of changing the fixed IP in the configurator and what value do I put there?
Just change this number, copy to SD card, and it´s done?
It´ll solve interruption problems and other connectivity issues?
Thanks.

No. It almost won’t impact anything. Just a fix IP or random IP your router give it to Devialet.

Usually most of the network configurator will offer fix IP option. Good thing is it’s easily to remember if you or another device have to access it very often. Let say you create a program to access it and do something then you probably want the IP fixed.
It can solve some interruption problems and other connectivity issues but not all such problems, and it's not necessarily as simple as just specifying an address number in your config file. A fixed address also includes a network mask address and you may need to also supply IP addresses for a Gateway and DNS server. Depending on why you're doing it, you may also have to give supply a fixed address for another device. For example when I tried connecting my Devialet via ethernet directly to a second ethernet port on my server, I needed to have them on a separate subnet so I had to give separate fixed IP addresses and a new network mask address to both my Devialet and to the port on my server to which I connected the Devialet.

If you're not having any problems and you aren't doing something which actually requires you to assign a fixed address to your Devialet, my advise is just to leave it up to your router to assign the address. If you're having problems with interruptions or other connectivity issues, a fixed address for the Devialet won't solve all of the possible causes of such problems. You should try to identify the actual cause and fix it. Don't use a fixed address if the problem isn't an address issue. If you're trying to do something which actually requires you to use a fixed address, then follow the instructions for doing whatever it is that you're trying to do when it comes to assigning the address because you may have to assign an IP address in a specific series and you may need to specify a mask and other addresses as well.

Basically, there is no advantage to using a fixed address if you aren't having problems or if you aren't trying to create a connection and your router can't supply a DHCP address for some reason.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
There is also the option of assigning a fixed IP address to each device in the router! You can easily change this again in the router, without any major fuss!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Thank you very much, gents.
Allways a pleasure to learn from you.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.