Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News from Devialet - Promising?
I do recall talking to Devialet's chief engineer at a dealer event last year, and he stated that full range SAM was possible. So maybe this will be the supprise SAM related announcement next month?

I can't help thinking that this is a very inefficient way of going about things though, after all, Devialet would then have to get all those 200 SAM'd speakers back in for re SAMing. Or maybe not? Perhaps they collected all the speaker data and measurements first time around? In which case SAM 2 could be a very rapid roll out. How optimistic is that!
(02-Apr-2015, 07:43)Confused Wrote: I do recall talking to Devialet's chief engineer at a dealer event last year, and he stated that full range SAM was possible.  So maybe this will be the supprise SAM related announcement next month?

I can't help thinking that this is a very inefficient way of going about things though, after all, Devialet would then have to get all those 200 SAM'd speakers back in for re SAMing.  Or maybe not?  Perhaps they collected all the speaker data and measurements first time around?  In which case SAM 2 could be a very rapid roll out.  How optimistic is that!

Fingers x-ed! Not sure how it would be a benefit as the perceived effect of SAM 1 is that even the rest of the freq spectrum becomes more coherent at least in my system (2 different speakers). 
Of course, being able to measure your own room and then having that applied to a full freq correction (SAM2) would be nice. Then we would have the new Devialet members introduced, 'Corrector' and 'Mike'.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Odd that they mention the RIAA curve too. I suspect most of us vinyl users know about this, and while interesting, it's hardly big news.

My guess is that they felt they had to reach out to expert range owners, as we've been a bit neglected of late.

Looking forward to hearing what's going to be announced at Munich though. TBH I'm still very happy with my 250, so anything new would be a bonus.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
My biggest hope is that they sort out the issues with AIR.........now that would make me happy.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Full range speaker correction will improve at least some speakers but the most effect for digital speaker correction comes from low frequencies! Devialet may have already the measurements done past 200Hz on many speakers on the SAM list. But that would restrict SAM improvements to a few hundred speakers (200 now and maybe a few hundred more in the future). I wonder how many speakers will be left out because only one to few D-users will have one. So a more universal solution is required for these speakers.
I just wonder if it commercially wise to expand SAM to cover the full frequency range.

There may then be claims and counterclaims that it makes "all" speakers sound the same, or it doesn't, or it sanitises them: might be better to clearly leave lots of choice in the customer's hands and just "correct" certain "shortcomings".

Devialet has plenty of issues to mop up with both Expert and Phantom/Dialog/Spark - and plenty of new stuff anyway - and I suggest nothing would give them better praise than getting all that right by 13th May.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Short of providing some type of room measurement tool when implementing a full SAM, I assume they might flatten out some peaks and valleys in certain speakers as measured in an Anechoic Chamber. Maybe some timing issues further up the frequency spectrum.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(02-Apr-2015, 14:41)Womaz Wrote: My biggest hope is that they sort out the issues with AIR.........now that would make me happy.

Agreed... The white noise problem needs to be corrected big time
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

There is talk of Fletcher–Munson curves being included in the Phantom. In my view, this would be an excellent addition to the expert range, maybe combined with SAM. This could be a real game changer if implimented properly.
(12-Apr-2015, 00:31)Confused Wrote: There is talk of Fletcher–Munson curves being included in the Phantom.  In my view, this would be an excellent addition to the expert range, maybe combined with SAM.  This could be a real game changer if implimented properly.

It would probably have to be part of SAM since the exact speaker sensitivity needs to be known to know at what volume level each shape of correction curve is appropriate.
T'would be interesting indeed.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire