Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headless Mac as a music server/streamer - hints and tips
As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts, I'm in the process of setting up a Mac Mini to run "headless" as a music server/streamer.  Although I'm fairly happy in general with setting up a Mac, I'd be really grateful if anyone has any hints and tips, dos and dont's, about running a headless system in particular.  Hopefully they might be useful for others following the same path.

For example, it was news to me that not having a display connected could slow down remote access, possibly because the GPU would be disabled.  The solution is to use an HDMI display emulator.

A couple of specific questions that I have in mind at the moment include:
  • is it better to set up a separate (non-admin) user account to run music streaming software and own the music library, rather than (for example) using my own account)?
  • is it sensible to enable automatic log-in (to avoid having to manually log in after a power cycle)?
I'm thinking more along the lines of ease of use rather than sound quality, at least for the moment.

But please feel free to just throw in anything you think might be helpful.

Looking forward to hearing advice from those that have "been there, done that" - thanks in anticipation!

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Headless Mac as a music server/streamer - hints and tips - by thumb5 - 11-Jan-2017, 19:14