Poll: What is the one 'must have' feature that you would like the streamer board to feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Roon RAAT compatible
43.80%
60 43.80%
UPnP
5.11%
7 5.11%
HQPlayer compatibility
0.73%
1 0.73%
Spotify connect
2.19%
3 2.19%
Apple compatibility, iTunes / Airplay
2.92%
4 2.92%
Self-hosted configuration mechanism to allow changes to the Devialet's configuration on the fly
5.84%
8 5.84%
Support for SPARK, to include Phantom compatibility via PLC
2.19%
3 2.19%
A fully self contained streaming system, i.e. no need for a computer, just add NAS or USB memory with music.
19.71%
27 19.71%
I would accept any kind of functionality if sound quality is clearly superior to AIR
10.22%
14 10.22%
Virtual soundcard, much like AIR but with superior sound quality and stability
7.30%
10 7.30%
Total 137 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Streamer Board - What is the 'must have' feature
(22-Jan-2017, 14:12)mdconnelly Wrote: The Devialet site describes this new board in a more expansive manner than just as a streaming board... Here's what it says...

Thanks to its unique architecture, your new Expert Pro will be able to support Devialet OS in 2017 via the integration of a new electronic card.

This dedicated card will add more brain power to your Expert Pro and enable new features, such as UPnP/DLNA. It will be offered to you for free as soon as it is available, for all Upgrades before 31st December 2016 (value of $1,800).

Admittedly, this is mostly marketing speak, but I can't imagine UPnP/DLNA will be it's primary purpose, much less the primary feature customers want.  Has anyone seen a more indepth description?

I voted for Roon RAAT but in truth, I'd like to think that an $1800 board is being designed to provide far more capability and/or better sound quality integral to the future of the Expert Pro.

Your post made me realise that I'd missed DLNA from the options list!  Oh well, I guess this is not the end of the world because as you mention UPnP/DLNA are protocols that Devialet have already advised are supported.

I would suggest that my UPnP option is simply extended to be UPnP/DLNA.  Ironically sometimes I use DLNA myself, via JRiver and the microRendu, so I should have known better!

As to the 'more brain power' that Devialet refer to, this could of course mean many things.  As an example I am sure that a few folk would like the addition of room correction, but who knows what Devialet might have in mind.

As for your thought that a $1800 product should have decent capability and sound quality, I think you might have a point.  Time will tell, but I am actually quite optimistic that the sound quality will be excellent.  There are a few reasons for this.  One thing I know is that a large proportion of the cost of many hifi components is actually taken by the design and production of the case.  In the case of the Devialet streamer, this cost is zero, so the entire cost should refer to R&D and the actual electronics.  (assuming the figure was not simply made up by the marketing team).  The other reason I am optimistic relate to past conversations that I have has with Devialet's chief design engineer Mathieu Pernod.  I think I have met him three times now, and on each occasion it has been clear to me that his primary interest is sound quality.  Oddly enough, he has never appeared that keen on things like Roon & MQA, that is locking Devialet into anything that requires licensing, subscriptions from customers and similar.  But he does appear to be very driven with respect to things that matter to sound quality.  We will find out in due course, but there is reason to be optimistic I think. Shy  (Unless your primary interest is Roon & MQA) Angry
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: The new Streamer Board - What is the 'must have' feature - by Confused - 22-Jan-2017, 16:45