Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was a new DAC installed for the those who had an upgrade to Expert Pro?
Yeah, it would probably be really time consuming and expensive to change it all.

I guess demand for these super high res formats like 768 kHz and DSD512 is rather small. We cannot stream any of these formats from any streaming service today. It's unlikely that this would dramatically change anytime soon as most of the non-audiophiles aren't interested in these formats. I'm not sure can we even buy these as downloads.

So, usually we get to play these super high res formats happens by doing upsampling / format conversions and filtering. This procedure certainly makes a difference that I can hear but the difference/improvement is quite small (in comparison to, let's say a room correction for example). That has been my experience at least. Tweaking and trying out different filters can be fun though! From this point of view only, supporting these super high res formats in Devialet wouldn't probably be worth the trouble / R&D investment / upgrade cost to us. I think a new DAC should offer more than just a format support. It would make more sense to me if it would come for example with a new master clock, increased performance of the Magic Wire / ADH etc. Then I would be more interested in spending some money for the upgrade Smile

Support for the PCM 384 kHz and DSD128 would be nice additions if these could be achieved with our current DAC chip and architecture.

I haven't yet seen any good evidence that MQA would give any real benefits to us. Especially the published measurements and articles of the MQA have been quite underwhelming so far.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was a new DAC installed for the those who had an upgrade to Expert Pro? - by petrik - 12-Jul-2018, 11:04