Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Devialet dilemma
I'm currently in the market for an integrated amp for 2 channel listening and discovered the Devialet. I admit i was 1st intrigued by the looks but as i started reading more and more, I'm impressed with the reviews and tech behind these little amps.

I wish i could afford to buy the maxed out expert pro 1000 and call it a day but unfortunately my budget is more beer and deviled eggs than champagne and caviar. Im looking to be under 5k usd on this purchase.

I have been trying to peruse the Devialet website, but i do not find it very user friendly for trying to compare current and previous models. my main priority will be to make sure i don't make this purchase and find out i can't do everything i want to be able to do.

My current setup consists of: 
1) Marantz SR7012 avr (that i will be doing 10.1 auro 3d or 9.2 atmos as soon as i hook up these final 2 height speakers), 
2) My main speakers that i will be using as part of my 2 channel system are Kef LS50's. 
3) I have an OPPO 203 for movies and SACD (i do enjoy surround SACD's from time to time)
4) Apple TV for video and Apple Music subscription.
5) xbox and Playstations for gaming
6) Phono player WILL be added to the 2 channel system
7) Tidal or some other Hi RES streaming would be nice to do as well and would possibly replace the apple music subscription

so what i need help with is to make sure what ever i choose, that it will place nice with my 2 channel audio source listed items(#'s 2, 3, 4 and 6).

HT pass thru is a must, so that i can use my KEF's in both 2 channel and HT modes.  From what i can tell, all Devialets have this ability, so i think if i go with a 120 or 200 (non pro) or a 130/140 pro or 220 pro, i would be good to go for HT pass thru. If at some point I can create a 2 channel only listening room. I will likely buy a second set of LS50's or maybe upgrade to Focal Kanta's or Sopra line. 

for the Phono, it seems that the Devialet is an excellent and highly configurable phone stage that would support almost any MM or MC cart. is the Phono stage configurations the same on all models?

for streaming Hi Res music subscription. what is the best way to do this? do i Air Play from apple tv to the Devialet amp or use an older APPLE TV that has the optical audio out? I also have a few newer 4k models but they only have HDMI out and ethernet port. I think i understand that the newer PR CI's support uPnP but i think that is only for large network NAS type streaming, correct? if i am correct then it may not benefit me as i use subscription based services mostly and don't have a very large library of music. when i buy music I generally use the physical CD, SACD or LP to listen.

I have found a few online listing for new expert 130 pro in the low 4 k range. the listing states:

• PLEASE NOTE: The 140 is a 130 that was increased in power to 140 WITH A FIRMWARE UPDATE!!. These Core 130's can be changed to a 140 with the latest firmware update. FREE!! These Core 130’s include the Output Board ($595) which the 140 DOES NOT. 

does this mean that the expert 140 pros already have this board included or this particular seller only is throwing in on the 130's to make it more sattractive. also. is there any real difference between the 130 vs 140 except that the 130 had the firmware update that made it a 140? 

all of these differences really gives me information overload and I'm having trouble reconciling all the lingo to be honest. 

I have seen listing for "new" 120's in the low 3k range, but from what i have read and being future proof, it seems the Core13/140 option may be a better bargain for the extra 1k.

if I went with more power, i know i would have to go used. I have seem a used expert 200 (non pro) listed for just under 4k. this seems like it has potential to be the one. there is some cosmetic issues if you get up close. so I'm hesitant for this and also to make sure I wouldn't miss out from a 130/140 Pro CI vs a 200 non pro for about the same cost.  

what are the main differences between the 120 vs 130/140 pro ci vs a 200 (non pro)? when i tried to look myself it seems the 200 and up have extra set of inputs and the balanced input that the entry models do not. besides these inputs and the power rating are there any real differences?

thanks for any input and feedback as i try to straighten all of this out.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
My Devialet dilemma - by mmorrison55 - 31-Oct-2018, 20:22
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by Vivialet - 31-Oct-2018, 21:08
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by kylevuong - 01-Nov-2018, 01:41
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by mmorrison55 - 09-Dec-2018, 17:54
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by Damon - 01-Nov-2018, 03:43
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by mmorrison55 - 01-Nov-2018, 04:12
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by mdconnelly - 01-Nov-2018, 13:16
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by mmorrison55 - 09-Dec-2018, 02:26
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by baconbrain - 09-Dec-2018, 09:35
RE: My Devialet dilemma - by NickB - 09-Dec-2018, 11:10