Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions, questions & questions! New 220pro
(10-Jan-2019, 11:21)Gerronwithit Wrote: Might as well just buy Roon. That way you can get access to all of your music as long as it is on your LAN. My Devialet is connected via Ethernet to my router and Roon runs from my MacBook Air. I only use Tidal these days as I got fed up with having stuff on a NAS. The only limitation is having to have Roon open on the MacBook to access it, say, from my iPad or iPhone. Maybe a Roon nucleus would resolve that at a price. Depending on what speakers you use, these might be SAM’d so check that out and configure it on your 220 and give it a try.

In purchasing my Devialet I was trying to get to the optimum sound with the minimum of hardware and complexity. This is as simple a route as you could get but not necessarily achieving the absolute capability of your system, but it will get you firing on all cylinders very quickly and satisfactorily.

Thanks for the SAM note - yup - have enabled SAM for my speakers. I am in complete agreement with your philosophy of optimum sound with minimum complexity - so so important and is exactly what I'm striving for - do not want extra components, reclockers. Want to have a simple setup that just works and is stable. The big issue is currently trying to get AIR to function through ethernet. I think I've given up on AIR functioning over wifi! Would love for anyone who has AIR over wifi working to help a brother out. 
So far what I've done
I've installed Devialet AIR on my mac and it's showing properly on my audio midi config window.
In Expert Configurator: 
enabled the ethernet option
dhcp - on and let it have whatever options it has (not tinkered around with it); haven't changed anything in special modes
Ensured the other things on configurator specific to speaker/ sam are correct - save the file into the sd card
Question - I bought a used unit and the SD card had a bunch of stuff in it outside of the cfg txt file - should I be formatting the SD card and just load the configurator text file on it?

Got the ethernet cable hooked between the devialet and my router. When I log into my mac and go to the devialet air menu, I find a DEVIALET-ETH entry showing up - but upon clicking it, it keeps blinking every 10-15 seconds (shows an IP address and then apparently loses connection). 
I have the preferred output path selected to the Devialet AIR through my audio midi, but can't seem to get any audio going out.

Is there something I need to be doing with the router? Do I need to give the devialet a fixed IP? Is Devialet support/ customer care helpful? Really a bit lost. In the interim,have usb and airplay options working so I managed to hear some hi-res songs last night thru USB - but I definitely do want AIR as my primary transport layer. Any advice? Sad
Would Roon be much easier to manage the AIR transport layer? The Devialet would still probably need to be connected through ethernet to my router for a stable Roon AIR connection (should I choose to buy Roon - correct?)

Lesson #1: You actually need to select the ports in the "Expert Configurator" page and make them light up - it wasn't immediately apparent! I just thought that some of them were dim 'cos there were no configuration options/ details to tweak in them! Perhaps I'm just a dimwit too - very possible! I had optical (to my TV) not work because of that all day yesterday!
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions, questions & questions! New 220pro - by zambie - 11-Jan-2019, 20:15