Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parametric EQ Suggestions / DSP in Roon?
Hey folks, I ran a few searches of the forum and didn't seem to find posts regarding a couple of questions I had about the DSP functions in Roon and how they cooperate with the sound of our systems.  I've often felt that the Devialet was meant to run as-is, and to let the unit and attached hardware provide the voice. 

A few nights ago I was reading something, and a suggestion was made to use a parametric EQ if available to make low-volume listening more pleasant.  I had decided initially to just let my hardware "be"—no treble or bass adjustment, room correction, etc., so a really low-load for my ROCK NUC—but the low volume issue is something that I've been dealing with.  So, I jumped in and entered the suggested settings in the Roon DSP Parametric EQ (bump of 7db at 100hz and 10000hz) and definitely noticed that lower-volume listening with my smallish standmounts (B&W 707s2) became more engaging, although it definitely introduced a coloration that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.  

I'm running the settings now, along with an addition—a high-pass filter set at 30hz at 6db, the depth to which SAM can allegedly drive my speakers.  I believe the Devialet has a 20hz high-pass filter set by default, but I may be wrong.  My rationale for the high-pass filter caters to a realization I came to when listening to the opening track of "You Want It Darker"—which I have fondly named "You Want New Speakers" as the pulsing and undulating bassline is essentially inaudible with my current setup when set to defaults.  I figured that removing some of that low-end, barely-audible load from the main drivers might improve the overall presentation of things.  It seems to have worked.  That said, I did some googling, and apparently the crossovers inside most speakers include a high-pass filter designed to match the abilities of the speakers—but if that is the case, how can SAM work its magic by dropping the bass floor in so many models?

I also set it to upsample to 24/192 (well, the system max showing as 24/192).  

So who here is running the Parametric EQ, which settings and why, and do you upsample and why or why not?  Also, does anyone know what the story is re: the high-pass filter in speakers, and is my thinking off at all?  

I've been demoing new cables and speakers in search of the sound I want, and I certainly see the possibility of emulating some of the improvements you would realize with improved speaker cable, for example.  There are certain things a quality set of cables can do that the EQ can't emulate, but the balance between the value of upgrades vs. EQing your way to satisfaction seems like a rabbit hole that I don't quite have the knowledge to navigate.  Would appreciate any input or advice.

Messages In This Thread
Parametric EQ Suggestions / DSP in Roon? - by awkaplan - 04-Mar-2019, 01:29