Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2x Phantom Gold in Stereo Mode for Gaming and Home Theatre with lowest lag possible?
Hi,

when released I bought 2x Phantom Gold together with a dialogue .. but ultimately found out that they do not quite fit my purpose. My two biggest issues where:

1) Input Lag
I sometimes connect my PC to my 65" flat screen. HDMI to the TV and optical cable to the dialogue. Using this setup I noted some serious lag .. the audio was a bit "slower" than the image. When watching movies via my Apple TV this is not an issue because it is quite nicely synced but this obviously does not work for realtime gaming since you want your controller commands executed as fast as possible (TV latency around 20ms) and not wait for image and/or sound.

2) Power Consumption
The two gold phantoms had no real "Standby Mode". Even when not used and everything else off they took quite a lot of power so I always had to manually pull the plug.

Now for the input lag issue ... it seems like the "Direct Optical" mode is the way to go now? Has anyone measured the input lag when you connect two phantoms via an optical splitter to a TV + PC or console? So for this setup I would not need the Dialog anymore? How cumbersome is it to switch between Direct Optical mode and say .. if you want to stream just music from you iPhone to both Phantoms?

Is there a better Standby solution?

Messages In This Thread
2x Phantom Gold in Stereo Mode for Gaming and Home Theatre with lowest lag possible? - by pixelwave - 19-Jun-2019, 11:40