Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations?
As it seems, UPnP is the way to go whether you are on DOS1 or DOS2. I really liked Roon when I was testing it, but it is still a bit expensive for my taste and not fully supported yet. So what other options do we have? I am looking for some feedback and recommendations. 

Following some notes on this topic.

Info about the setup:
I have a Mac mini connected via Ethernet and optical to my Dialog (Airplay Enabled) playing via PLC to 2x Phantom White (BT but no Airplay). Spark allowed to stream from my Mac mini and from TIDAL without any additional load on my WiFi. So far so good. Only that the Spark App is not the most convenient, but we all know that. Unfortunately, for whatever reason not all devices (no Macs, only iOS devices) see the local Mac mini library (they did, but not anymore). But that is another discussion. Devialet Support could not find a working solution to that issue either. In addition I also have some Sonos speakers in my house which could potentially be managed by UPnP.

What am I looking for?
The best solution would be an UPnP server app running on my Mac mini that also would be able to stream TIDAL HiFi (maybe even Amazon Music HD, but there is no API as far as I know). In addition, I would like to have a macOS and iOS/iPadOS control point with a decent, modern and stable interface.

Is this the solution?
I tested a couple of servers and control points but ended up with this (temporary?) solution. A Twonky media server (I still owned a license and it would not put much strain on resources). As control point for iOS/iPadOS the mconnect app which seems to be more stable than others I tested. It has not the most beautiful interface, but it seems to work quite well. It also supports TIDAL but would stream it via WiFi (something I would like to avoid). I am still looking for an macOS app.

P.S. I also tried Linn Kazoo (Server, Control Point, Config app), but was never able to "create" a room in this setup and hence not able to play anything ...

What I also considered:
I have Amarra (running on Mac mini), but the Amarra iOS remote control app is not very reliable and responsive. I also have an eye on Audirvana which seems to have a new code base and appealing interface as well as UPnP support and TIDAL integration. It also offers a remote App. Seems to be a good offering.

Any thoughts on this topic are welcome,

Kind Regards,

seb

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)

Messages In This Thread
UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations? - by seb - 30-Oct-2019, 01:56