Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review
This has been an enjoyable thread. 

At one time, I owned a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator, so the mention of the device brought a grin to my face.  Bob Carver was quite a presence in the hi-fi world for decades and a great marketing guy (said with admiration).  I loved his ad copy and probably got sucked into the Sonic Hologram by one of his dense ads.  Anyway, the Sonic Hologram process was embedded in upper-end Carver preamps but I got my version as a stand-alone processor.  As CAH mentioned, the process worked well on some songs but was not as profound on others.  I well recall listening to CCR's "Suzie Q" and it cast a wide, wide stage.  In the rawest of terms, it used digital processing to eliminate acoustical cross-talk; the effect was somewhat akin to wearing headphones.

In my opinion, having listened a lot (in the past) to music altered by Sonic Holography and having owned both the Devialet 180 (later a 200 virtue of a firmware upgrade) and my current Devialet Expert 220 Pro, the comparison is a non-starter.  Again, this is my opinion but I can't find anything similar in what I recall hearing and what I hear today from my D220.

Now, if @rooze wants to have some fun, let him evaluate Sweet Room!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 01-Apr-2021, 12:46
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 01-Apr-2021, 20:42
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 01-Apr-2021, 20:33
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 02-Apr-2021, 00:01
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by ogs - 02-Apr-2021, 15:23
RE: Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by Flashman - 08-Apr-2021, 23:02
Audio Resurgence - 220 Pro Review - by NAS1819 - 26-Aug-2021, 02:43