Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various NAS Server used on the Forum
Hello All - going through various threads i m little confused which NAS server is good/best/does not matter as long as intermediate boxes (NetP-Network player, apps, other means ) work well.

Is there any difference in each feature? some NAS also gives out audio USB, some have USB but dont do audio ?.
Following is the Request.
1) For now I m just polling various NAS servers used by members on the forum.
2) If you have Network server with storage (Like Aurender X100L etc) please quote the same too to help folks make right choice
3) Welcome if you want to share additional details like how each NAS being used in their setup- Wired to same router as Devialet or NAS is else where on the network etc
--------------------
My current setup : Western Digital 3TB wired << AE >> wired Devialet.
audio stream, AIR_ETH, and also Toslike from AE to Devialet = both work well.
WD NAS (the one i have) USB port - used to connected external HDD and not for audio streaming.
I also use WD App to browse folders to send over Airplay to AE and toslink to Devialet.
-------------------
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
No response Smile ? is this already a existing thread ?. Kindly let me know so i can remove this one.

However few i have for now. If folks interested please add to the list.

QNAP NAS - HDD
Seagate NAS - HDD
DroboPro NAS - HDD
WD NAS - HDD (I have this)

Can some one help me to list SSD NAS too? I m thinking this might help to stop the drops in our listening.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
+ NAS: LaCie Cloudbox ( HDD? )
Sometimes I use:

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo2 2Tb running Minimserver UPnP server - excellent Smile - wired ethernet to
Netgear GS105 switch wired ethernet to
Naim NDX streamer wired ethernet to
Netgear DGN 2200 wireless router.

Most of time I use:

iMac (Qobuz or iTunes, internal HDD) / Wi-Fi AIR / D200 which works perfectly - no dropouts, no white noise and sounds better than wired AIR
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks Phil. Update the list.

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo2 2Tb
QNAP NAS - HDD
Seagate NAS - HDD
DroboPro NAS - HDD
WD NAS - HDD (I have this not happy with this)

folks using SSD NAS ?
(06-Mar-2015, 10:57)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks Phil. Update the list.

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo2 2Tb
QNAP NAS - HDD
Seagate NAS - HDD
DroboPro NAS - HDD
WD NAS - HDD (I have this not happy with this)

folks using SSD NAS ?

Hi Jnan_devi I'm not really sure I understand the purpose of this poll, sorry! Are we trying to identify specific models of NAS from a functionality point of view? Or are we trying to identify optimal network topologies or are we trying to compare streaming from a NAS (using a UPnP renderer such as the MiND 180) to streaming from an Aurender? I think we are almost covering too many areas here. 

Regarding your list "QNAP NAS -HDD" doesn't really tell us very much. What model of QNAP are you talking about? Which disk drives are you using with it (brand of HDD, HDD or SSD etc), what kind of disk redundancy do you have (i.e. RAID), and how is the NAS being used? As a UPnP music server (for e.g. Minimserver) or a transport (for e.g. Synology via USB)? 

As an example the QNAP HS-210 is fanless and could be used with two Samsung 840 EVO SSD 1TB drives and a Teddy Pardo 12/4 power supply. It would be a completely different beast from my QNAP 419 with 4 x 1TB (WD RED) HDD with three disks configured as a RAID 5 and one disk as a backup volume. There are some on here that would argue that the use of SSD disks and a quiet power supply might have a positive impact on sound quality. 

I also don't think that you can blame dropouts on specific NAS models or types of drive. With my QNAP 419 I never experience them. On the other hand I experience dropouts when streaming Via AIR Ethernet using the built-in SSD of my MacAir. I think dropouts are much more likely to be caused by network-related issues and software, i.e. the context in which the NAS is used. Having a NAS configured in RAID 5 and streaming music from it right after uploading 100GB of music might cause dropouts due to excessive scanning of the drives. 

I'm also not sure I would include the Aurender x100 in this list, although it is technically a "Network-Attached Storage" device, most people on here would probably view it more as a high-end transport (optimised for audio storage and playback). 

The other point to consider is that given that the Devialet amps do not support UPnP it is unlikely that many forum members will have much of a need for a NAS, except in cases where they are using an external renderer such a Auralic Aries or MiND 180.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hello Guillaume - Thanks for keeping me honest here Smile. Truly appreciate it.

Plain simple i wanted to collect various NAS drivers used by forum members and their experience. I was looking for - is there a high end NAS? is the SSD NAS better than HDD  and if so which one out there is better than the other.

I doubted my WD NAS is the culprit for drop outs as i use AIR_ETH. i never used AIR_wifi. thanks for clearing the air ( Smile sounds funny air/AIR ) around this.

In fact thanks for clearing lot of gross cloud i had in my mind about NAS drivers. I almost said Amen in my mind when you wrote all the above.

Also when i sent email to Support-Devialet, about if one can directly connect NAS HDD to Devialet through USB (I thought WD NAS USB will do, but looks like your explanation about Sinology can do it - see i did not know about it). My question to them was miss-understood/ or i was not clear, and I got response that connecting a NAS  directly to USB of Devialet - this is something they might work for future upgrade (see email copied below)

Network Streamers maybe excluded from this list Smile these are truly high-end. I m looking for the once Dialog thing gets settled (usage model truly understand + SQ)

Regards and truly appreciate all inputs,
/Jnan
------------------------
email copied here
Streaming music directly from your NAS to the Devialet without a computer in between, just by selecting the file from your iPad is not yet available.

This functionality is called UPnP (or DLNA which is a version of UPnP) compatible. We do not support this functionality for the moment but we will probably have a version of it in the future. We just want to have the right version of it as the current UPnP protocol isn't appropriate.
(06-Mar-2015, 17:21)Jnan_devi Wrote: This functionality is called UPnP (or DLNA which is a version of UPnP) compatible. We do not support this functionality for the moment but we will probably have a version of it in the future. We just want to have the right version of it as the current UPnP protocol isn't appropriate.

Yes they've been saying this for a long time! UPnP was designed for printers etc etc...  Rolleyes

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I see. when WD NAS did not work (had not checked then), sent email to D, however i did finaly check the WD site, the USB port is for connecting to Printer or for another HDD (at least another HDD works). T

Will hang in there until Dialog verdict is clear, and then Audender, Bryston BDP, Antidote , Naim - NDS/NDX etc ... Lets see how it goes.
Having had Netgear,Synology,WD and the last a full blown Qnap tvs 471 with ssd storage i now use a Melco N1A, supurb quality, far better sounding, less cumbersome.
Give it a try.
TOYS:- Devialet 400, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, Melco N1A, Boenicke W8's, cabled throughout Chord Signature tuned aray. Intel I7 NUC Roon Rock/Tidal.
Mains supply, dedicated consumer unit, 5Kw balanced transformer,
. plenty of IFI accessories, Melco Ethernet cables, Townshend isolation throughout, All furutech mains cables.
Recently added. PS Audio PP5, Townshend Audio 5 tier Seismic table.SBooster psu for NUC,