Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hiss on Phono
(01-Jul-2015, 22:20)Confused Wrote:
(01-Jul-2015, 22:09)Dr Tone Wrote: Maybe it's something to contact Devialet about, step up transformers being much quieter than the devialet alone.  They might be able to tweak and improve their phono preamp for low power MC cartridges.  They do take pride low noise/quietness.

I am a little intrigued by your earlier post re phone hiss, because it does look like you suffer a little less than I do with this.  Plus, we have cartridges with very similar output levels.  I have an Ortofon Cadenza Black, which outputs .35mV.  When you say you have to go right up to the speaker to hear this, what volume setting do you have on the Dev?

I wonder if there is another factor at play here?

I think in the -15db range.  That said, it could be a difference in rooms, I seem to have a rather noisy room when measuring the noise floor and add in my half shot tired ears.

It turned out I needed a replacement table, so I don't have it home right now to confirm.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

In comparison, I need to drop the volume to -20dB or so before I can't really hear the hiss from the listening position, this is with a D800 and 91dB efficiency speakers. Maybe I have super cat ears or something! Although I don't think so, and the more I think about this, the level of hiss is rather more than is desirable?
(29-Jun-2015, 21:57)wiresandmore Wrote: Hi

Using a Dynavector XX2MkII on my LP12 .... I get a fair amount of hiss on the phono input. My speakers are quite a tough load for the D200 (PMC 20.26) so the volume on the phono input is around -10db so quite loud.

Anyone else hear/experience the same thing?

Thanks

I have the same cartridge and get more hiss than I'd like too from my 200, it's the main reason I continue to use my Dynavector P75 phono stage which is just acceptable for hiss.

I wonder if the 200 and the 250 behave differently with this?
OK, as a matter of interest I tried a config for my A90 without the SUT. The A90 is no longer in production but the Xpression is identical except the mount, so I chose that in the "automatic" cartridge specification.
It chose (automatically Smile) 300 microvolts, MC gain and 60 ohm loading, which is about right.
Well I may have screwed up some other aspect of the config, but to get a reasonable listening volume needed 30dB more on the volume control than usual, and the meter showed peak levels of around -60dB!!!!! with my system set manually to MM, 400 mV and high loading (for matching to the SUT) I get peaks of around -15dB, as I want.

The hiss was just audible at -10dB from my 109dB/watt Animas but I had to listen with the volume set at at 0dB, rather than -35dB or so.

This performance is very much worse than my D-Premier in terms of gain and hiss.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Jul-2015, 18:53)f1eng Wrote: OK, as a matter of interest I tried a config for my A90 without the SUT. The A90 is no longer in production but the Xpression is identical except the mount, so I chose that in the "automatic" cartridge specification.
It chose (automatically Smile) 300 microvolts, MC gain and 60 ohm loading, which is about right.
Well I may have screwed up some other aspect of the config, but to get a reasonable listening volume needed 30dB more on the volume control than usual, and the meter showed peak levels of around -60dB!!!!! with my system set manually to MM, 400 mV and high loading (for matching to the SUT) I get peaks of around -15dB, as I want.

The hiss was just audible at -10dB from my 109dB/watt Animas but I had to listen with the volume set at at 0dB, rather than -35dB or so.

This performance is very much worse than my D-Premier in terms of gain and hiss.

Did you confirm your new setting were actually being used after popping your SD card back in?  I set my new cartridge voltage but for some reason my 200 kept using the voltage setting from my old cartridge.  I had to fix it with the remote and the new awesome menu.

It seemed like maybe it was a safety feature going from a rather high voltage to a minuscule one.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(02-Jul-2015, 20:39)Dr Tone Wrote:
(02-Jul-2015, 18:53)f1eng Wrote: OK, as a matter of interest I tried a config for my A90 without the SUT. The A90 is no longer in production but the Xpression is identical except the mount, so I chose that in the "automatic" cartridge specification.

Did you confirm your new setting were actually being used after popping your SD card back in?  I set my new cartridge voltage but for some reason my 200 kept using the voltage setting from my old cartridge.  I had to fix it with the remote and the new awesome menu.

It seemed like maybe it was a safety feature going from a rather high voltage to a minuscule one.
I didn't think to look. I re-confirmed the settings on the stored configuration on my page of their web site though.
I had not looked at the new "awesome" menu until I read your post, I haven't used it myself though I did have a quick look when I first loaded v8...
Anyway I am back to my sut and enjoying music without audible hiss...

I think you are being very charitable saying it is a safety feature rather than a bug Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have done a bug report on the phono config getting the gain wrong but I am sticking with my SUT and MM input, sounds great and is totally silent with no music playing, the meters show the inaudible background noise to be between -80db and -90dB which is well more than the dynamic range of any LP, so effectively as perfect as necessary
Oxfordshire

Hello
Just wanted to share my experience dealing with Devialet support team regarding phono hiss. To make long story short, their support wasn't er... quite supportive. They responded to couple of emails, then dissapeared alltogether. To be fair, I wasn't terribly polite ( which doesn't mean I was exactly offensive), but being professional and all that you expect them to act accordingly. I don't think it is quite all right to simply stop responding no matter how frustrated we might sound. Bottom line - they assured me that this excessive hissing is not normal and given proper setup and such , the amount of hiss should be pretty much non existent.I personally consider this not true, to put it mildly. From what I gathered around the web, professional reviewrs included, hiss from  phono input IS an issue with Devialet. Anyway, I went SUT route and problem is solved. I could've used external phono stage but opted for SUT instead - the hissing is almost negligible , sound quality is superb and I am still using Devialets phono stage, which is the whole point. I use miajima Shilabe( 0.23  mV) and Benz Ruby (0.32 mV.
(11-Sep-2015, 02:50)Diomid Wrote: Hello
Just wanted to share my experience dealing with Devialet support team regarding phono hiss. To make long story short, their support wasn't er... quite supportive. They responded to couple of emails, then dissapeared alltogether. To be fair, I wasn't terribly polite ( which doesn't mean I was exactly offensive), but being professional and all that you expect them to act accordingly. I don't think it is quite all right to simply stop responding no matter how frustrated we might sound. Bottom line - they assured me that this excessive hissing is not normal and given proper setup and such , the amount of hiss should be pretty much non existent.I personally consider this not true, to put it mildly. From what I gathered around the web, professional reviewrs included, hiss from  phono input IS an issue with Devialet. Anyway, I went SUT route and problem is solved. I could've used external phono stage but opted for SUT instead - the hissing is almost negligible , sound quality is superb and I am still using Devialets phono stage, which is the whole point. I use miajima Shilabe( 0.23  mV) and Benz Ruby (0.32 mV.

Hi,
Which SUT are you using? Thanks!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(11-Sep-2015, 12:52)wiresandmore Wrote:
(11-Sep-2015, 02:50)Diomid Wrote: Hello

Hi,
Which SUT are you using? Thanks!

Hi,
I am using German made Silvercore MC. It used to be distributed by Oswald Mills Audio in US, but not anymore. Also, their website stopped working. I called Mr. Kraus (Silvercore owner) and he told me that due to his very busy schedule he is not able to support his product properly here, in North America. Anyway, it is very high quality SUT and works as proper hi-end product should. Here's link to Stereophile review for you:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/liste...tVDqzOu.97