Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hiss on Phono
(25-Nov-2015, 20:21)theaudioguru Wrote:
(15-Nov-2015, 21:38)f1eng Wrote: A lot of LP enthusiasts prefer a sut to an extra active amplifier for MC cartridges. Whether that is because "everybody loves the sound added by transformers" as I was told decades ago when asking the same question I don't know. As you know, I would not expect an additional non-broken cable to make any difference Smile but one does need to sort out earthing and positioning carefully to avoid hum.

I bought a SUT ,can someone post their MM configuration please? I'm using the cm1254 with 1.20 ratio into MM on the devialet but I'm getting distortion /hash at high volumes/crescendos. Cartridge is the ortofon bronze.
Thanks
Theaudioguru

I recommend monitoring the level meters on the Devialet and adjusting the gain until the peaks are around -6dB. This will be best for sound quality but not very competitive in the "loudness wars" Smile

The gain can nowadays be changed on the remote without needing a new config burning to a SD card.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks F1eng, just to clarify do I adjust gain in the RAM settings , max level setting?
Thanks
theaudioguru
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.
(27-Nov-2015, 17:52)theaudioguru Wrote: Thanks F1eng, just to clarify do I adjust gain in the RAM settings , max level setting?
Thanks
theaudioguru

Yes. Adjust the max level setting. Try playing the loudest part of your loudest LP and see what the meters show. They are pretty tiny though...
I would start with about half of the rated 0dB output of your cartridge since at middle frequencies greater than 0dB levels can be recorded.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(27-Nov-2015, 23:58)f1eng Wrote: Yes. Adjust the max level setting. Try playing the loudest part of your loudest LP and see what the meters show. They are pretty tiny though...
I would start with about half of the rated 0dB output of your cartridge since at middle frequencies greater than 0dB levels can be recorded.

Thanks f1eng, just to add to the knowledge base, this was the advice I received form the SUT manufacturer,

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze (0.4mV, 5 ohms): Use the HI setting (1:20) for an 7.3mV output level - perfect for the Devialet preamp set to standard MM settings. Loading, linearity, SNR, and frequency response looks great

I redid my config on the sd cards to make sure that there wasn't an error, I'm using my slave as a MM input, 4mv as my max level, things are much improved.
I'll report back on my experience,
thanks,
theaudioguru
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.
Solved my slight hiss with a Rega Aria preamp.  Seemed an easier solution than trying to figure out those fandangled step up transformers.

Vinyl "noise" seems to have been reduced overall which makes me happy as well!  Big Grin
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Hi there !
Happy to come across this thread, as I have been experiencing hiss as well with my Linn Troïka MC.
Devialet said I should not have hiss, but Despite Trying different settings, I cant seem to get rid off the noise :-(
I used to have a Linn Linto phono stage, which was very silent in comparison...
Any advice here on the best way to cope with this issue ?
SUT, external Phono stage, switch to MM cart?
Many thanks for your help
JC
I had the same issue with my Dynavector as per earlier in the thread and went for a SUT with great results.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks wiresandmore... Not a cheap solution though !
Devialet advises to connect the ethernet plug to a router and not to let it unplugged ... Will give it a try and report here if this improves the hiss level
(24-Feb-2016, 08:21)tof Wrote: Thanks wiresandmore... Not a cheap solution though !
Devialet advises to connect the ethernet plug to a router and not to let it unplugged ... Will give it a try and report here if this improves the hiss level

I have always had my Ethernet socket hard wired to a router.  I also get some hiss on the phono input, set for an Ortofon Cadenza MC.  So I am not optimistic Devialet's suggestion will help much.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(27-Nov-2015, 23:58)f1eng Wrote:
(27-Nov-2015, 17:52)theaudioguru Wrote: Thanks F1eng, just to clarify do I adjust gain in the RAM settings , max level setting?
Thanks
theaudioguru

Yes. Adjust the max level setting. Try playing the loudest part of your loudest LP and see what the meters show. They are pretty tiny though...

I use ortofon cadenza Black and i have too turn the wolume Up , i Think too bye a SUT. To my caridge , use more Money øvvvv. Any other thing i Can do.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,