Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shunyata Research
(19-Aug-2016, 17:44)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Aug-2016, 17:03)Antoine Wrote: Great reading about your first impressions Guillaume! And I love the picture you posted, these Shunyata PC's look so cool (though a bit over the top IMO)! Smile

My "measly" (Wink) Shunyata zi-tron Alpha Digital power cord has been delivered last Tuesday. Though I'd love to have the Sigma I really can't afford it, as in I don't really want to spend €3300 on a power cable. They are rumoured to be considerably better than the Alpha's though so I guess I'll just have to live with that knowledge! First impressions of the Shunyata are favorable. It's clearly the more transparent and precise cable compared to the one it replaced (Lessloss DFPC Signature) and there's a lot more extension in the top end. I need to spend more time with it though to form more firm impressions/conclusions.

Earlier today I've also ordered a Shunyata zi-tron Anaconda Digital XLR (1,5m AES/EBU) interlink to use between the Mutec and D250. Can't wait to receive it!

I have a couple of Alpha HC cables here and am burning them in on my Linn system. In a week or so I will swap them with the Sigmas and see what they do. 

I probably should have gone the other way round but as I said earlier I am always impatient with these things!

Yes they look brilliant. It's when you look at them closely that you see the wonderful build quality, makes a lot of other aftermarket cables look shabby and "home made"!

The UK connectors are great - it's a very firm connection with the wall socket and they don't drop out as do many other audiophile ones I have evaluated. I guess it's reassuring when they stay perfectly in situ. The connection into the Devialets was perfect I have to say, although please note I am not using the backplate (and never have done).

There was a funny moment last night when the sound went a bit funny, the top end was almost fuzzy and the sound a little congested. Now everything is fine again. I expect this will happen intermittently for a few more days as things settle. 

Without a doubt the best mains cable I've ever heard in my system. Despite only having a day or so on the clock I was already exceeding the performance of my trusted Entreq Atlantis cables which are considerably more expensive. What really surprised me was the additional detail, literally hearing new things in recordings. I thought I had already reached a pretty good place in this regard, but this is a whole new level of performance. Staggering I'd say. Certainly puts a massive smile on your face!

Guillaume

Very interesting report Guillaume! Have you had a chance to audition their latest generation of cables, the Atmosphere pc and sc?
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(21-Aug-2016, 04:40)Duomike Wrote: Very interesting report Guillaume! Have you had a chance to audition their latest generation of cables, the Atmosphere pc and sc?

*cough* Synergistic Research *cough*
Quick update re the Shunyata snakes...

The Sigmas I am currently running in with the O d'A have definitely settled down nicely. They are without doubt the very best mains cables I have ever used with the Devialet and have taken the sound to an altogether new level.  Smile

The cables have very powerful mains filters in the IEC connectors, possibly a reason why I am hearing more detail and generally more into the music. It's basically a mains conditioner with none of the disadvantages of a mains conditioner, in fact you just get more of everything including better transients. It's not a subtle improvement.

The reason that they are so thick is that they are a hollow tube construction, a bit like a hoover tube. The conductors themselves inside are 8 AWG which is 3.26mm. I run 6mm T&E from my dedicated consumer unit to my hi-fi sockets. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Are you mening 3,26mm in diameter? 8 AWG is 8,35sqmm if you convert AWG to sqmm.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(01-Sep-2016, 09:49)octaviars Wrote: Are you mening 3,26mm in diameter? 8 AWG is 8,35sqmm if you convert AWG to sqmm.

yes diameter 

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(01-Sep-2016, 10:24)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(01-Sep-2016, 09:49)octaviars Wrote: Are you mening 3,26mm in diameter? 8 AWG is 8,35sqmm if you convert AWG to sqmm.

yes diameter 

Guillaume

Ok. I as a electrician seldom speaks about the diameter of the wire, only the area hence my question as I thougt 3,26 was a bit smal to be the area of a Shunyata Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

The Shunyata PC's were like installing a new component in my system, the change was that big. Once you have them there is no going back. Shunyata's IC's are fantastic to.
(19-Aug-2016, 17:44)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have a couple of Alpha HC cables here and am burning them in on my Linn system. In a week or so I will swap them with the Sigmas and see what they do. 

We're still in suspense. Did you every compare the Sigma with Alpha or Venom?
(26-Oct-2016, 18:46)deviousalet Wrote:
(19-Aug-2016, 17:44)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have a couple of Alpha HC cables here and am burning them in on my Linn system. In a week or so I will swap them with the Sigmas and see what they do. 

We're still in suspense. Did you every compare the Sigma with Alpha or Venom?

Apologies...

The Alpha HC got pretty close to the Sigma. In fact you will often see Shunyata recommend the Alpha HC over and above the Sigma models since it offers the greatest bang for buck in the range.  

My Devialets had to be returned to France at the end of September since they developed a fault which is frustrating since (among other things) I had to put all testing on hold. Sad I am hoping to get them back soon though.

I should point out that Shunyata are about to revamp the whole range and there are going to be quite a few changes which may affect recommendations to Devialet owners moving forward. Some new models and performance hikes to the existing range are coming... anyway I can't really say much more than that at the moment (and no, I didn't have to sign an NDA  Angel ). I am really hoping to get my hands on the new range in early December.  Smile This is a period of unprecedented innovation in the history of Shunyata and I can't tell you how excited I am.

Guillaume

UK
That is very exciting. Thanks!