Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hiss on Phono
So - since I started this thread I should share an update !

I have just had my 400's upgraded to 440's and also moved to a Lyra Kleos Cart......which is higher output than my old Dynavector - I can use it straight into the Devialet MC phono input and it works great without any hiss.

So, not sure if it is firmware 10x, or a higher output cart, or the 440 upgrade - but things are definitely better than before. I may experiment with the SUT into MM to see if it is any better, will post any updates if it is ......
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Probably the higher output cart, it has the 'magic' 0.5mV output.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Im using a Benz Ebony L into the Devialet 200 phono and the it's too noisy at -15db, at 0db if I close my eyes I can imagine i'm in a rainforest during heavy rainfall.

Using a PS Audio nu wave phono into line 1 it's only marginally better. Every amplifier I've ever owned is quiter, the specs lie. There must be an answer to the issue of excess noise, maybe it's earthing. If it's firmware then I personally have no knowledge.

Most are content to accept some noise at acceptable listening levels but this shouldn't have to be. Why should you have to buy an SUT to achieve silence? Devialet is state of the art so should provide a state of the art noise floor.

I borrowed a DPremier two years ago, in the same system i have now it was earily silent, no power conditioning required. Why is the D200 a retrograde step from the DPremier as far as noise floor goes and why are owners settling for it by listening at low volumes or using SUT's? The level of noise i'm experiencing i'd be as well buying a budget tt set-up because so much low level info that my expensive tt set up is providing is being drowned in white noise.

I adore the general sound (to my ears the D200 phono is also far superior to the DPrem phono) Now I have the cartridge tuned into the confusing advanced configurator settings (what happened to simple gain and loading or perhaps internal impedence) Sadly however unless I can lower the noise floor i'll return the unit for something else.
Feickert Blackbird, AO pu7, Benz ebony L, Graham Phantom, Koetsu Rosewood sig', Tom Evans SRX, Apple MacAir, D Premier. Kef blades. 
(22-Nov-2016, 23:07)runforfree69 Wrote: Im using a Benz Ebony L into the Devialet 200 phono and the it's too noisy at -15db, at 0db if I close my eyes I can imagine i'm in a rainforest during heavy rainfall.

Using a PS Audio nu wave phono into line 1 it's only marginally better. Every amplifier I've ever owned is quiter, the specs lie. There must be an answer to the issue of excess noise, maybe it's earthing. If it's firmware then I personally have no knowledge.

Most are content to accept some noise at acceptable listening levels but this shouldn't have to be. Why should you have to buy an SUT to achieve silence? Devialet is state of the art so should provide a state of the art noise floor.

I borrowed a DPremier two years ago, in the same system i have now it was earily silent, no power conditioning required. Why is the D200 a retrograde step from the DPremier as far as noise floor goes and why are owners settling for it by listening at low volumes or using SUT's? The level of noise i'm experiencing i'd be as well buying a budget tt set-up because so much low level info that my expensive tt set up is providing is being drowned in white noise.

I adore the general sound (to my ears the D200 phono is also far superior to the DPrem phono) Now I have the cartridge tuned into the confusing advanced configurator settings (what happened to simple gain and loading or perhaps internal impedence) Sadly however unless I can lower the noise floor i'll return the unit for something else.

You're probably way ahead of me here, but are you aware that you can change gain and loading on the fly with the remote control?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Try these settings:

1. The Ebony L uses a machined and vented African Ebony wood body. It features a nude, Fritz Geiger S line-contact diamond, mirror polished and bonded to a 5.5mm solid boron cantilever. With an output of only 0.26mV at 3.54cm per second, the Ebony L is the second lowest output Ebony Series cartridge that Benz offers (the lowest being the Ebony TR @0.1mV). Internal impedance is a very low 3.5 ohms and the cartridge weighs 9.6 grams. My personal estimate is that loads ranging from 50 to 600 ohms will serve the Ebony L best.

After experimenting with different gain and load settings on the battery-powered Nova Phonomena, I found that a load of 243 ohms worked very well, along with 57 dB of gain. But realize that the load setting is listener dependent, while the gain setting is system dependent. Many systems will require 60 or more decibels of gain to attain adequate listening levels. As it turned out, I achieved the best tracking at about 2.2 grams, which is at the high end of the recommended range and can vary as the cartridge breaks in.
On the fly trying indeed.

2. Another point of attention is the Vertical Tracking Angle. Try different settings to reduce noise.

3. Third install audacity and measure the silence via usb on the Devialet Phone entrance after the suggested settings. Ca. -80dB without noise and -66 dB must be possible at ease. Try different sub filters via the Devialet untill its quit. (pre out at 12Hz 24/oct for example). In this way you can "measure" your silence until it's done.

Succes!
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

(22-Nov-2016, 23:07)runforfree69 Wrote: Im using a Benz Ebony L into the Devialet 200 phono and the it's too noisy at -15db, at 0db if I close my eyes I can imagine i'm in a rainforest during heavy rainfall.

I'm having Benz Wood SL and I'm having exactly the same problem. Note: this is with my Devialet 1000 Pro. I didn't have similar noise earlier with Le 800. The phono settings are exactly the same. I wonder what is causing this noise.

I checked this noise level with iPhone and it's showing about 63 db at volume level -15. This is when the cartridge is not even touching surface of a record.

I contacted Devialet support on this but they are on the opinion that this is just normal and there is nothing wrong Sad But there was no noise on my Le 800...
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
petrik - Where are you taking this measurement?  At 1 meter?  The listening position?  The hiss levels you are measuring do look high.  For comparison, I have copied this from a post I made earlier in the month in the 'New phono stage in the Pro models thread':

I did check my D800 once with a iPhone app sound pressure level meter. With the Devialet at +2dB, the hiss + background noise just about hit 50 dBA. I tried this again yesterday with the 1000 Pro, this hit the 50dBA mark with the amp on about +1 to 0dB. Mindful that the 1000 Pro is more powerful, this looks more or less an identical result to me. OK, not a truly scientific test, as the ambient noise level is not that far below 50 dBA, but based on a sample of one amp, I would say the Pro is no different.

(for the record, this is with the phono stage set to 400uV)

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...s#pid52138
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Nov-2016, 18:00)Confused Wrote: petrik - Where are you taking this measurement?

I took those in front of speakers, like at 15 cm from the speakers.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
After i upgrade too 220 Pro i try my turntable ( before that I play cd i 3-4 days ) so i Think i play about 50 hours . Well i put a record on noo noo hiss very good Sound bass better In low wolume everything is better , i am much satisfied about 220 Pro
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(08-Dec-2016, 23:19)Finn Wrote: After i upgrade too 220 Pro i try my turntable ( before that I play cd i 3-4 days ) so i Think i play about 50 hours . Well i put a record on noo noo hiss very good Sound bass better In low wolume everything is better , i am much satisfied about 220 Pro

Hello Finn.  No hiss on phono at all?  Nothing?  I find your post of particular interest because you are using an Ortofon Cadenza Black, which not only is the same as my cartridge but it is also firmly in the low output MC category, which is most problematic with respect to hiss. 

So to be clear with the facts, with the phono input selected and the volume set to 0dB (obviously with no record actually playing), are you saying you can hear no hiss whatsoever?  Nothing, zero?

Also, if you would be happy to post, I would be interested in details of your cartridge settings and any other details of your configuration that might be relevant, such as inputs that you have not enabled, this kind of thing.  Thanks!

I'm pleased to read you are happy with the Pro upgrade by the way!

EDIT. Doh! I have just read your signature! I see that you are running an Ortofon Verto step up transformer. So that answers my question above, clearly the SUT mitigates the hiss issue, as you would expect. OK, but this leads me to a different question, can you provide any advice as to how the step up transformer impacts sound quality? Clearly it provides a stronger signal to the Devialet, which I'm thinking could well have a positive benefit, but of course you are also adding another component and cable into the chain, which is a negative. Have you ever done a comparison with and without the step up transformer, or perhaps you may have other observations?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12