Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
250 Pro
Bonjour Gerronwithit - as well as looking at the speaker thread(s) here, if you have the stamina, why not have a chat with the nice people at OAC about what speakers they recommend? I'm sure they'd be able to give you some ideas to get started with. Since the choice is so wide if you give us a few concrete starting points it will be easier to gauge the kind of thing you might like, and then I'm sure the recommendations will come flooding in from here too!

Interconnects is another topic entirely, and - in my view, others may differ - one that can be safely left alone until you've got the speakers sorted out.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I just got my upgraded 250 back and I am quite impressed with the further improved resolution. If the speaker can profit of that one will hear more how the recording and mastering is implemented and often music does not survive well that process. I find no artificially enhanced soundstage with well made recordings which are often puristic 2 microphones and no mixing like the ones of MA records. A lot of albums have an artificially produced soundstage (at the mixing process) and that will become more evident as the quality of the audio chain is improved. It also shows the limitation of the recording equipment of older albums.
I am not blaming Devialet for the faults of the recording industry!
Listening to every one here is starting me to question myself, so i'll just have to come to terms that I'm not like every one else. The Pro 250 definitely throws a much deeper sound stage but to me it sounds a bit homogenised. It lacks a sense of life. Also while reading some of these posts, I was looking for anything that was different in the set up beside the up grade. It dawned on me the power cord they included was not the old monarchy audio power cord I'm normally using. So back in it goes and to my surprise there was a subtle improvement. Voices where more filled out, base was tighter and articulate, treble had more sparkle, and yet that in the room with me sensation was still missing. Still an improvement, but I really miss the holographic images the d250 could produce. The only thing I felt was lacking in the D250 was the upper register refinement. Horns could sound unpleasant sometimes where the pro version nails it.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
Woodstock,

I don't think that you should be questioning your own opinions or preferences, or your reactions to the Pro sound. In my view, it really is different, and in all honesty, I can fully believe that some will not like it as much. And I would not say that to prefer the plain old Expert presentation is wrong. I can say honestly that I am adjusting to the Pro sound, but I really do like it. But I also think that the Pro is really, really revealing of other parts of the system. So, if you noticed a difference in sound with a power cord change, it may be that you now have the pleasure (ahem) of going through speaker cables, and speaker placement, and all the other hi-fi baubles that may fine-tune the sound for you. I know that is the direction I'm heading, and that was not something I was anticipating.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Woodstock - So what's the plan now? Oddly enough, it looks to me like you might actually be in a very good position. From what I am reading it looks pretty clear to me that you liked the 'old' Expert, but you are not at all happy with the 250 Pro, and much like Damon, I can understand this. So lets put this another way, you don't like the brand new expensive version of the product, but you do like the old and now devalued version. So why not try to do a trade? Either yourself, say using the 'for sale' section of this forum, or maybe even direct with a dealer. I am sure that someone somewhere would be happy to trade, with a few dollars your way of course!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Good advice from Confused as always. Why stick with it if it's not for you and you know you like the previous version?

Being a passionate Devialet forum you'll always find more people here that love their Devialet's, so not liking yours as much might at times feel like you're just doing something wrong or whatever, but the fact of the matter is the only relevant thing is what you like - even if you were the only person on the planet not liking a Pro it doesn't really matter - it just means it's not for you.

I personally never felt the 200 was great and just couldn't get why everyone loved theirs so much. But of course if you search outside this forum not everyone loved it. I stuck with mine and thankfully the upgrade paid off for me - I much prefer it. But if I didn't it would be an easy trade to get back to an older model.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Why I don't try and trade? Mainly because I wont be able to completely recoup the money I've invested. I don't have much in the way of disposable income. I would loved to have own 2 D250s, but the $ just isn't there. If only I hadn't upgraded the DPremier last April, then I wouldn't had known what I was missing. Still, the upgrade to the D250 was the best $ spent on anything audio in the last 42 years and I should had stopped chasing it then. the Pro is still a great piece, i'm just not connecting to it emotionally like I was to the older 250. O well.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
(14-Dec-2016, 01:10)woodstock Wrote: Why I don't try and trade?  Mainly because I wont be able to completely recoup the money I've invested. I don't have much in the way of disposable income. I would loved to have own 2 D250s, but the $ just isn't there. If only I hadn't upgraded the DPremier last April, then I wouldn't had known what I was missing. Still, the upgrade to the D250 was the best $ spent on anything audio in the last 42 years and I should had stopped chasing it then. the Pro is still a great piece, i'm just not connecting to it emotionally like I was to the older 250. O well.

Thank you for sharing your story !

Can you please describe if possible the difference in sound?
I know it must be pretty hard..
But maybe some tracks you like more on Expert and your perception?

I am asking as I own D250.

Thank you !
(14-Dec-2016, 01:21)johnsap Wrote:
(14-Dec-2016, 01:10)woodstock Wrote: Why I don't try and trade?  Mainly because I wont be able to completely recoup the money I've invested. I don't have much in the way of disposable income. I would loved to have own 2 D250s, but the $ just isn't there. If only I hadn't upgraded the DPremier last April, then I wouldn't had known what I was missing. Still, the upgrade to the D250 was the best $ spent on anything audio in the last 42 years and I should had stopped chasing it then. the Pro is still a great piece, i'm just not connecting to it emotionally like I was to the older 250. O well.

Thank you !

Literacy is not a skill I'm well versed at. I'll give it a shot. First of all replace the power cord the Pro comes with temporarily. It almost like all those molicules need to get reacquainted with the new Devialet. This one small detail has convince myself to give it more time. The old D250 thru my set up was as if you where physically in the recording studio with the musicians where you literally felt the vocal cords.... forget it, i'm no good at this. I'm just a plumber! I sensed more body in voices and instruments and this might be due to the 5th row presentation of the D250 compared to sitting in the 15th row. This depth of sound stage is more pronounced in the Pro version. I'm listening to "Concert a Deux Violes Esgales by Sieur De Sainte Colombe" and the best way I can explain the difference is this; I'm playing the instrument with the D250 as to listening to someone else playing the instrument with the 250 Pro. Both are relevant and both have a place in my listening enjoyment. I like both presentations and ever since I've changed power cords as of yesterday my discomfort with the 250 Pro is diminishing. Makes me wonder what a good power source could do to the set up. I think you can rightfully assume that I'm liking more what I am hearing as each day goes by. Both units suffer from a slight ringing in the upper frequency's, this just might be caused by other factors such as a small 12 by 17 foot cinder block room with bookcases along side walls with Tankas on end wall. Almost near field listening. This is what happens when you leave town for 5 years. I also prefer horns on the 250 Pro. The pro sounds more relaxed compared to the D250, making the Pro perfect for acoustic and chamber ensembles and the D250 great for blues and rock.
(14-Dec-2016, 02:44)woodstock Wrote:
(14-Dec-2016, 01:21)johnsap Wrote:

Thank you !

Literacy is not a skill I'm well versed at. I'll give it a shot. First of all replace the power cord the Pro comes with temporarily. It almost like all those molicules need to get reacquainted with the new Devialet. This one small detail has convince myself to give it more time. The old D250 thru my set up was as if you where physically in the recording studio with the musicians where you literally felt the vocal cords.... forget it, i'm no good at this. I'm just a plumber! I sensed more body in voices and instruments and this might be due to the 5th row presentation of the D250 compared to sitting in the 15th row. This depth of sound stage is more pronounced in the Pro version. I'm listening to "Concert a Deux Violes Esgales by Sieur De Sainte Colombe" and the best way I can explain the difference is this; I'm playing the instrument with the D250 as to listening to someone else playing the instrument with the 250 Pro. Both are relevant and both have a place in my listening enjoyment. I like both presentations and ever since I've changed power cords as of yesterday my discomfort with the 250 Pro is diminishing. Makes me wonder what a good power source could do to the set up. I think you can rightfully assume that I'm liking more what I am hearing as each day goes by. Both units suffer from a slight ringing in the upper frequency's, this just might be caused by other factors such as a small 12 by 17 foot cinder block room with bookcases along side walls with Tankas on end wall. Almost near field listening. This is what happens when you leave town for 5 years. I also prefer horns on the 250 Pro. The pro sounds more relaxed compared to the D250, making the Pro perfect for acoustic and  chamber ensembles and the D250 great for blues and rock.

Hey woodstock,

your signature says  'Jrivers for media streaming / Dell 8900 special edition with 250GB SSD, 2TB hard drive with 24GB memory'

Is the Dell dedicated to Audio only or do you use it for something else?
If you can make it an Audio only PC it might bring you back to the 5th row experience. I would suggest to build it up with Windows 10/Audiophile Optimizer/jPlay/Process Lasso (your motto 'less is more') and eventually to try an alternative player for jRiver. I've experienced that going this way it took me a way nearer to the original of the musical presentation. As the 250Pro is more transparent in his performance it is also more transparent to influences like jitter and others (as with the power cable). Jitter might blur the musical presentation and moves one away from the actual musical scene.
Just my 2c

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin