Poll: What is the one 'must have' feature that you would like the streamer board to feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Roon RAAT compatible
43.80%
60 43.80%
UPnP
5.11%
7 5.11%
HQPlayer compatibility
0.73%
1 0.73%
Spotify connect
2.19%
3 2.19%
Apple compatibility, iTunes / Airplay
2.92%
4 2.92%
Self-hosted configuration mechanism to allow changes to the Devialet's configuration on the fly
5.84%
8 5.84%
Support for SPARK, to include Phantom compatibility via PLC
2.19%
3 2.19%
A fully self contained streaming system, i.e. no need for a computer, just add NAS or USB memory with music.
19.71%
27 19.71%
I would accept any kind of functionality if sound quality is clearly superior to AIR
10.22%
14 10.22%
Virtual soundcard, much like AIR but with superior sound quality and stability
7.30%
10 7.30%
Total 137 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Streamer Board - What is the 'must have' feature
(22-Jan-2017, 14:12)mdconnelly Wrote: The Devialet site describes this new board in a more expansive manner than just as a streaming board... Here's what it says...

Thanks to its unique architecture, your new Expert Pro will be able to support Devialet OS in 2017 via the integration of a new electronic card.

This dedicated card will add more brain power to your Expert Pro and enable new features, such as UPnP/DLNA. It will be offered to you for free as soon as it is available, for all Upgrades before 31st December 2016 (value of $1,800).

Admittedly, this is mostly marketing speak, but I can't imagine UPnP/DLNA will be it's primary purpose, much less the primary feature customers want.  Has anyone seen a more indepth description?

I voted for Roon RAAT but in truth, I'd like to think that an $1800 board is being designed to provide far more capability and/or better sound quality integral to the future of the Expert Pro.

Your post made me realise that I'd missed DLNA from the options list!  Oh well, I guess this is not the end of the world because as you mention UPnP/DLNA are protocols that Devialet have already advised are supported.

I would suggest that my UPnP option is simply extended to be UPnP/DLNA.  Ironically sometimes I use DLNA myself, via JRiver and the microRendu, so I should have known better!

As to the 'more brain power' that Devialet refer to, this could of course mean many things.  As an example I am sure that a few folk would like the addition of room correction, but who knows what Devialet might have in mind.

As for your thought that a $1800 product should have decent capability and sound quality, I think you might have a point.  Time will tell, but I am actually quite optimistic that the sound quality will be excellent.  There are a few reasons for this.  One thing I know is that a large proportion of the cost of many hifi components is actually taken by the design and production of the case.  In the case of the Devialet streamer, this cost is zero, so the entire cost should refer to R&D and the actual electronics.  (assuming the figure was not simply made up by the marketing team).  The other reason I am optimistic relate to past conversations that I have has with Devialet's chief design engineer Mathieu Pernod.  I think I have met him three times now, and on each occasion it has been clear to me that his primary interest is sound quality.  Oddly enough, he has never appeared that keen on things like Roon & MQA, that is locking Devialet into anything that requires licensing, subscriptions from customers and similar.  But he does appear to be very driven with respect to things that matter to sound quality.  We will find out in due course, but there is reason to be optimistic I think. Shy  (Unless your primary interest is Roon & MQA) Angry
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Jan-2017, 16:45)Confused Wrote:
(22-Jan-2017, 14:12)mdconnelly Wrote: The Devialet site describes this new board in a more expansive manner than just as a streaming board... Here's what it says...

Thanks to its unique architecture, your new Expert Pro will be able to support Devialet OS in 2017 via the integration of a new electronic card.

This dedicated card will add more brain power to your Expert Pro and enable new features, such as UPnP/DLNA. It will be offered to you for free as soon as it is available, for all Upgrades before 31st December 2016 (value of $1,800).

Admittedly, this is mostly marketing speak, but I can't imagine UPnP/DLNA will be it's primary purpose, much less the primary feature customers want.  Has anyone seen a more indepth description?

I voted for Roon RAAT but in truth, I'd like to think that an $1800 board is being designed to provide far more capability and/or better sound quality integral to the future of the Expert Pro.

Your post made me realise that I'd missed DLNA from the options list!  Oh well, I guess this is not the end of the world because as you mention UPnP/DLNA are protocols that Devialet have already advised are supported.

I would suggest that my UPnP option is simply extended to be UPnP/DLNA.  Ironically sometimes I use DLNA myself, via JRiver and the microRendu, so I should have known better!

As to the 'more brain power' that Devialet refer to, this could of course mean many things.  As an example I am sure that a few folk would like the addition of room correction, but who knows what Devialet might have in mind.

As for your thought that a $1800 product should have decent capability and sound quality, I think you might have a point.  Time will tell, but I am actually quite optimistic that the sound quality will be excellent.  There are a few reasons for this.  One thing I know is that a large proportion of the cost of many hifi components is actually taken by the design and production of the case.  In the case of the Devialet streamer, this cost is zero, so the entire cost should refer to R&D and the actual electronics.  (assuming the figure was not simply made up by the marketing team).  The other reason I am optimistic relate to past conversations that I have has with Devialet's chief design engineer Mathieu Pernod.  I think I have met him three times now, and on each occasion it has been clear to me that his primary interest is sound quality.  Oddly enough, he has never appeared that keen on things like Roon & MQA, that is locking Devialet into anything that requires licensing, subscriptions from customers and similar.  But he does appear to be very driven with respect to things that matter to sound quality.  We will find out in due course, but there is reason to be optimistic I think. Shy   (Unless your primary interest is Roon & MQA) Angry

Glad to know that Mr. Mathieu Pernod is most concerned in SQ. More functions are bonus but SQ is the king IMHO.
What would be the point of fantastic SQ though, if there were no connectivity feature anyone wanted to use? Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(22-Jan-2017, 16:45)Confused Wrote: . .. (assuming the figure was not simply made up by the marketing team). 

Well, I think we can all relax safe in the knowledge that Devialet aren't the sort of company that would have their marketing team make something up.... Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(22-Jan-2017, 21:47)Bownose Wrote: If on the other hand it integrates with Phantom to offer surround sound then... perhaps

+1
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I am presently not using Roon and/or MQA. Heard some MQA on the last High End but was not convinced of the sound superiority of MQA but one reads a lot of positive comments in the audiophile press (and a lot of negative ones on CA). If MQA leads to a better recording/mastering process it could be something I will be interested in. I would be quite disappointed if the new streamer board can not decode and unfold MQA files in the future at least to 24/96 if MQA really takes off. Of course if MQA stays a marginal file format I will not care.
So I understand that Devialet is not presently embracing MQA but not allowing a future implementation MQA decoding via the streamer board could make this quite obsolete.
Not hearing any obvious and/or life changing improvements in any MQA albums I'm trying on the Explorer2, through headphones.

It just occurred to me that despite it being called the 'streamer board' it would most likely host any potential room correction. I wonder if many votes would change if that were an option?

(22-Jan-2017, 17:20)G51 Wrote:
(22-Jan-2017, 16:45)Confused Wrote:

As for your thought that a $1800 product should have decent capability and sound quality, I think you might have a point.  Time will tell, but I am actually quite optimistic that the sound quality will be excellent.  There are a few reasons for this.  One thing I know is that a large proportion of the cost of many hifi components is actually taken by the design and production of the case.  In the case of the Devialet streamer, this cost is zero, so the entire cost should refer to R&D and the actual electronics.  (assuming the figure was not simply made up by the marketing team).  The other reason I am optimistic relate to past conversations that I have has with Devialet's chief design engineer Mathieu Pernod.  I think I have met him three times now, and on each occasion it has been clear to me that his primary interest is sound quality.  Oddly enough, he has never appeared that keen on things like Roon & MQA, that is locking Devialet into anything that requires licensing, subscriptions from customers and similar.  But he does appear to be very driven with respect to things that matter to sound quality.  We will find out in due course, but there is reason to be optimistic I think. Shy   (Unless your primary interest is Roon & MQA) Angry

Glad to know that Mr. Mathieu Pernod is most concerned in SQ. More functions are bonus but SQ is the king IMHO.

Erm... I hate to disappoint folks!

Mathieu Pernod told me in no uncertain terms that there was NO WAY a fancy streamer could make any difference to the SQ of the Devialet. Admittedly this was a couple of years ago but it is clear that he doesn't believe that reclocking etc will have any effect. After all he has been quite happy conducting demos using a MacBook connected via USB. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I am sure Monsieur Pernod is right! We are all fools investing in streamer hardware and reclockers. Damm! I must hurry up and cancel my Mutec order. I wonder if Sonore will take my microRendu back... I also wonder if Earth is flat after all...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Agree fully with Ogs! He should talk about this stuff with some of the great engineers out there, a Rob Watts comes to mind.

I've said it before and still feel it's true; Devialet's 'raison d'être' is ADH, everything else they do is mediocre or outdated at best.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands