Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom support after 2 years.
I understand that the Phantom cannot be repaired and in effect it becomes a large paperweight if it goes pear shaped. I would imagine if this happens in the warranty period Devialet would replace it or them. What happen after two years? My understanding is that EU legislation requires a product to be supported for a period of time and any court would definitely rule against Devialet if they failed to replace or repair assuming it is not damage caused by the consumer.

My Phantoms are coming up for two years old and whilst they have worked perfectly (software aside) I am a bit worried.
Good question ...and one I never got a straight answer for when emailing their support team when I considered purchasing Phantoms but needed clarification about product support during and after warranty. They just strongly suggested I contact them if disaster struck after warranty.

I'm still struggling with the decision to purchase a product that may have zero support after the warranty period. Personally I don't see why they can't extract and retain the usable parts from unrepairable units, build new units from those parts and reserve them for customers with Phantoms that break outside of the warranty period at a substantially reduced price perhaps for two years after the extended warranty runs out.

It's ridiculous they've designed a ground-breaking product but have no way to repair it and no published back-up plan to assist customers outside of warranty!
I love my Silver Phantom and thought about to buy 2 Golds and Dialog.
After reading that the Phantoms can't be repaired I am now downgrading my investment and found that I have to look for another brand even the soundquality can't match the Phantoms.
I'm disapointed that the extended warranty should be bought within 30 days from purchase as it wasn't known last year that repair wasn't possible.

I do hope my Silver will last more than 2 years.
I personally do expect a minimum lifetime of 10 years of my 2 Golds and 2 Silvers. That's why I do not worry at all - further I simply expect that Devialet after warranty will offer an individual exchange of faulty Phantoms against a flat rate fee. I definitely would recommend to approach Devialet support in a friendly manner in case of an after warranty incident and discuss the issue.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(08-May-2017, 15:39)Taucher669 Wrote: I personally do expect a minimum lifetime of 10 years of my 2 Golds and 2 Silvers. That's why I do not worry at all - further I simply expect that Devialet after warranty will offer an individual exchange of faulty Phantoms against a flat rate fee. I definitely would recommend to approach Devialet support in a friendly manner in case of an after warranty incident and discuss the issue.

I like your point of view.
However I would like to add that Devialet could make it possible to extend the warranty within the first 2 year and not 30 days from purchase.
I was not aware of this problem. I can hardly imagine that Devialet could take such a risk. It would ruin the reputation of the brand if no technical or commercial solution was available beyond the period of garantee. This being said, having bought 2 Silver and 2 Gold,  I do have some argument in case of negociation.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
It will be a problem for dealers because they are legally required to provide good aftercare to the customer. I pointed them out, but this was not responded
In Norway the guarantee is 5 years by law.
The manufacturer has to agree to this in order to sell their product.
Hopefully they will last three times as long, but at least we have 5 years.
Good to hear that Devialet is selling Phantoms to a country with 5 year of warranty. So they are confident that they work for this duration. I'm also not so worried. We are talking about electronic components that have in most cases a life expectancy of 10+ years and of metal materials that have a much higher life expectancy. Then there is silicone (the window and bath sealing material, not IC) with 10+ years of stability. All moving parts are magnet suspended, so no friction wear. And what else? Yes, software and internet/manufacturer dependency. This I consider as the highest risk. What's happening when Devialet closes down? Will the necessary SW go open source or the technology go obsolete. What are nokia/ microsoft phone owners doing with their phones in 5 years?
I think this is the general risk we have with IoT and the Phantoms are a IoT device. So let's see how this develops.
I believe I've read somewhere on Devialetchat that Devialet estimates a life span of minimum 7 years for the Phantom.

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...8#pid57148

@MountainGuy: Could you please tell us where you got the estimate from?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage