Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For sale
(18-Apr-2017, 08:32)Mka Wrote: I still love the sound of my D1000pro but sold my OdA partly due to the fact that I lost faith in Devialet as a brand. Why:
- most horrible communication in the high end audio Markt
- a promises like a continuous software upgrade not being fulfilled
- devialet' a strategy seems to move away from high end to the OEM market
- did I mention that there communication really pxxxxxes me off?

With the fully integrated stuff (and `I keep it because of the WAF) compares to the digital camera market. nobody want's the two year old Modell.
I sold a lot auf HigEnd stuff used and after two years you tend to get around 65-70% of the original value. Just sold a 9 month old OdA for 50%.

I do not understand all arguments against devialet

- communication, ok but who is doing better ?
- I need no upgrade if the software is running well. What are your expectations regarding further software upgrade ? I'm missing nothing. Apple OS has less upgrades than microsoft, I still prefer  Apple.
- B&W makes high end speakers and low end headphones, where is the problem for the customer ? Mercedes builds cars for 40k Euro or for 300k Euro
- I know no company which is talkig about there plans during developement period, for competition reasons

Prices second hand ?  The problem is that devialet isn't a well know company, I didn't know it until last year and found ist by chance. Than I was frist impressed by the design
and later by the sound. Until this I prefered Linn , which is much better known. Nobody around me knows devialet and the demand is responsible for the prices.

The demand for apple computer raises with the Iphone, before it was for freaks. Maybe the same happens to devialet.
(09-May-2017, 14:44)frenek Wrote: I do not understand all arguments against devialet

I do.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Apr-2017, 08:32)Mka Wrote: I still love the sound of my D1000pro but sold my OdA partly due to the fact that I lost faith in Devialet as a brand. Why:
- most horrible communication in the high end audio Markt
- a promises like a continuous software upgrade not being fulfilled
- devialet' a strategy seems to move away from high end to the OEM market
- did I mention that there communication really pxxxxxes me off?

With the fully integrated stuff (and `I keep it because of the WAF) compares to the digital camera market. nobody want's the two year old Modell.
I sold a lot auf HigEnd stuff used and after two years you tend to get around 65-70% of the original value. Just sold a 9 month old OdA for 50%.

Well, its on you to sell your HighEnd stuff as you call it after short time and to be part of the issue to let the prices fall.

Cool
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(09-May-2017, 22:17)ßblair.athol Wrote: Well, its on you to sell your HighEnd stuff as you call it after short time and to be part of the issue to let the prices fall.

Cool
Cool, I Never considered myself as part of the problem. Now I do and this will keep me awake at night....

I just experienced an excellent communinication with Pass Labs. (and try answer to posts in their forum as well.....)
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
The problem started with the introduction of the Pro version and the imminent streamer board. When I bought my Od'A off Gentleman, a second hand D200 was fetching US$7000.- on Audiogon. So it didn't take too much convincing my wife the upgrade was affordable if we sold the D200. By the time I had my Od'A delivered, the new Pro series was introduced and there were up to ten old Experts for sale on Audiogon with much reduced prices; down an easy 2 grand for a D200.

FOMO of the 'best ever greatest streamer board' must have had an impact on the second hand prices of the Expert line. The upgrade path for 120 to 220Pro would have been the extra nail in the coffin for the D200/400 price. Similarly the introduction of the 1000Pro killed the Od'A off.

Devialet have been an annoying company to deal with way before the introduction of the Pro line and second hand prices were ok. It's not their communication that made prices plummet, it's the way they introduced new models; Just like a mobile phone company... They want to be like Apple but they seem to forget that their products aren't just worth a few hundred dollars. Mobile phone companies have a reason to keep introducing new models. The competition is fierce. Devialet's competition isn't that great. But they must have felt it was necessary to introduce the Pro series so early to stay ahead of the competition. They would have done well to introduce the Pro line later this year when they actually have a streamer board to put into them.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Nice post Pim as usual.

I don't think the issue was competition though to be honest.
My view is it's all about spreadsheets and 'fanfare' for investors. Current and future.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(11-May-2017, 09:01)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Nice post Pim as usual.

I don't think the issue was competition though to be honest.
My view is it's all about spreadsheets and 'fanfare' for investors. Current and future.

You make a good point there. Maybe they're just trying too hard.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Now we should assume Devialet Next Generation to be loaded with features like MQA and External Clock link.
Probably a dual Ethernet one for network and the other for AIR.
We could appreciate horizontal line of LED lite that we can change via Remote. Throw in two extra buttons for navigating the settings to make a 3k euros upgrade worth considering.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
It would be interesting to chart the price trends vs. Devialet's promises and deliveries.

Devialet creates interest with announcements, occasionally has sales incentives, and then delivers disincentives in delays and bugs. I think their marketing and sales have been dishonest long enough that they've saturated the market with disbelief even as the positive reviews of sound quality pile up.

So the cycle goes something like:
Devialet: "We've created the best speaker ever, which will be the size of a football and include multichannel, room correction, EQ, etc."
market: "Oh boy, I want that so I'll sell my equipment now."
reality: after many delays the Phantom is the best (and most expensive) bluetooth speaker ever but doesn't deliver what Devialet promised
Devialet: "We've created a unique, and exclusive one-off flagship based on a personal pet project"
reality: The O'dA is awesome, but only unique in color and only exclusive in the amount of torture inflicted by Devialet (delayed upgrades, instant depreciation, etc.)
Devialet: "We're creating the best streamer board ever, with every feature you've ever wanted."

After we fire him Devialet can hire Trump as a spokesman, "Trust me, it will be great!"
(12-May-2017, 14:08)deviousalet Wrote: It would be interesting to chart the price trends vs. Devialet's promises and deliveries.

Devialet creates interest with announcements, occasionally has sales incentives, and then delivers disincentives in delays and bugs. I think their marketing and sales have been dishonest long enough that they've saturated the market with disbelief even as the positive reviews of sound quality pile up.

So the cycle goes something like:
Devialet: "We've created the best speaker ever, which will be the size of a football and include multichannel, room correction, EQ, etc."
reality: after many delays the Phantom is the best (and most expensive) bluetooth speaker ever but doesn't deliver what Devialet promised
Devialet: "We've created a unique, and exclusive one-off flagship based on a personal pet project"
reality: The O'dA is awesome, but only unique in color and only exclusive in the amount of torture inflicted by Devialet (delayed upgrades, instant depreciation, etc.)
Devialet: "We're creating the best streamer board ever, with every feature you've ever wanted."

After we fire him Devialet can hire Trump as a spokesman, "Trust me, it will be great!"

The ultimate in "fake marketing" Tongue.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK