Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro 220 or D400
(29-Dec-2016, 11:04)egg1dog Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 20:46)woodstock Wrote:
(19-Dec-2016, 01:11)Dr Tone Wrote: True.  Great time to move to a D400.  It wouldn't help my speakers or small room unfortunately.
Interesting discussion. I'm one of those who has not warmed to the new Pro version. Actually I'm probably the only one who has not. I understand completely why everyone is praising it but thru the Gallo's it lacks the being there in the room with the musicians. The pro line is easier on the ears but has less emotional impact. When I say easy on the ears I am not insinuating that the D250 is hard on the ears, it's just not as laid back as the Pro. The Pro has staging galore, the D250 in my case. has more slam and attack which is what I love about it. For me the only way I'm going to resolve this is to have both and live with them for awhile.

Hi Woodstock,

From what you are describing it sounds like the upgrade for me would be in the totally opposite direction, as previously mentioned i like to be challenged when i listen with plenty of bite and snap in the treble. If the pro is easier on the ears then i have just saved myself an awful lot of money and heartache by sticking with my 400. 
Thank you for posting your thoughts and i hope you get the sound you love back very soon.

Hi,

I just went from a 200 to a 400. The difference is amazing. Resolution is dramatically better. The extra power really improves the sound quality. I was lucky enough to audition the 220 at my local dealer. I listened to the 200 and 220 side by side. Yes the 220 was better , with more richness and detail. The 400 is just much better than a single 220 in my opinion. It is dead quiet and instruments are easily singled out. The control is so solid compared to a 200. I am very happy with the 400.
[size=x-small]D1000pro, Sonus Faber Amati anniversary, siltech ls88 cables, direct tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sony projector.

Second system.. d440pro, Sonus Faber Cremona speakers, Mitchell gyro se turntable with cadenza blue, direct tv, Apple TV , sunfire subwoofer, Sony tv.

Third system... d-premier, Opera sp2 speakers , direct tv, Apple TV , Xbox, Sony tv.
Same experience here, Samsca. Same comparison and same conclusion too.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
If your speakers are easy to drive, e.g. Seldom goes less than 4ohm, going for Pro 220 make more economical sense.

I have the opportunity to evaluate 200 to 400, and down to 200, and then to Pro 220 and finally Pro 440 over the stretch of past few months, with different combinations at durations of 1 to 2 months each.

From 200 to 400, there is better grip in bass and more details and dynamics. My previous speakers are easy to drive, but the music is more in the face (difficult to explain with my limited vocabulary).

From 200 to Pro 220, I feel there are more details and transparency as compared to 400. Dynamics is slightly less, but I feel just right for easy to drive speakers. I think that was the perfect match then.

Since I had 2 x 200 master then, there is an impulse for me to upgrade both to Pro 440 (actually 2 x 220).  Big Grin

From 200 to Pro 440, the upgrade has the gain effects of the combination of 400 and 220 Pro upgrades. To repeat all again, I would have stop at Pro 220 if my speakers are easy to drive.

Hope this helps!
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
Great addition. Double mono brings a lot extra and it really does depend on what your speakers demand (and what music you favour; classical music demands more Dynamic bandwith). Considering the cost of upgrade, I think I will have to wait for the next upgrade to go from 400 to double mono 'whatever model comes next'. Hope Devialet uses the same upgrade strategy then as it did with the current upgrade to Pro versions.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I took the path 200 -> 220 Pro -> 440 Pro.    Absolutely no regrets (despite a significantly lighter wallet ;-)

In truth, before the Pros were announced, I had been giving serious thought to expanding my 200 to a 400.   But then the Pros were then announced which just muddied that decision process asking the same questions this thread has presented.   No right or wrong answers, but no clear path either.

So I decided I really need to compare my 200 to a 220 Pro to see if all the Pro "hype" had any merit.  Back in early October I acquired a 220 Pro for such a comparison.  Sure enough, for me (my ears, my system, my room), the hype was real.   I definitely preferred the 220 Pro.  Lots of descriptions as to what makes the 220 Pro better for many so I won't belabor that.  In addition to the improvement in SQ, there was also the fact that that 200 is now a legacy product unlikely to see any further firmware updates.  Last but not least is the promise of a free new OS/streaming board (whatever/whenever/ifever that is).

But still, having the 220 Pro was not the same as knowing if it was as good as a 400.  And of course, having the 220 Pro was a self-inflicted desire to upgrade to a 440 Pro just as having the 200 was toward a 400.  

So I bled my piggy-bank dry and bought another 220 Pro just before Christmas to form a 440 Pro.  it was a demo unit with a pricetag that I could justify rationalize.  And, wow - what an amazing upgrade!   I do think that the 220 Pro to 440 Pro was a bigger upgrade - or at least further exceeded my expections - than the 200 to 220 Pro jump alone.

And I know that if I had the 400, no matter how much I loved it, I'd still wonder how much better the 440 Pro is.

And no... not even thinking about the 1000 Pro.  Seriously, go away.  I'm done.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Think many have wondered the same McDonnely. With limited budget though it seldom was a choice between upgrading to Pro AND going double mono. At least for me it was. Glad you were able to hack that though. I for one had to choose between the two upgrade paths.

Even after the months that have passed, I still wonder how the 440 Pro sounds. I heard the 1000 Pro and was really impressed. The performance of that machine is mind boggling good. If the 440 Pro even comes close to that performance, you are a lucky man.

The Netherlands
as upgrade program stops in MAY.... I wonder if 440 would have been a great step
or maybe 2 more 200 to get 4 D400 chained ?? is more power meaning accurate music ?
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(25-Apr-2017, 20:59)jfp Wrote: as upgrade program stops in MAY.... I wonder if 440 would have been a great step
or maybe 2 more 200 to get 4 D400 chained ??  is more power meaning accurate music ?

More power to your speakers might mean a bit more  / tighter bass but the Pro will most likely sound better without that extra power.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi fellas,
I would like to share my experience with all of you, and specially to guys like me who didn t choose to upgrade to pro series.
My dealer loaned me a companion to test on my system for the week end.
Some troubles to make it configured properly was fast fixed after the help much appreciated of #brit# thumb5# confused#
To make the story short : dev400 is a superior amp to dev200, in every way, specially in bass and soundstage.
I ve notived also it is a quiter amp, and dynamically better.
Honestly speaking i like it very much, but not outstanded to a degree of saying: this amp need to stay here.
This is mostly due , i think, to my speakers wich need more quality than quantity!
I m not saying that the dev400 is only about power, but in my system dev 200 delivered the good.( i can t imagine dev 440 pro or 1000pro performance)
The price suggested by my dealer before discount is 4360$,3350£,3900€.
I m waiting now for the end of munich high end show to end and see what are the streamer solutions available and what about os streamer for the new pro .
In my dealer showroom, i listened to 220pro with sopra 2 briefly , and i wasn t at all impressed, specially by bass.
Before leaving, my dealer told me that i can t leave without listening to these: sasha2 + Dan d agostino nstream: i listened to one samba style track, what i can say is just amazing! The speakers where white, and they diffused the sound in such an organization and rhythm and dynamic... ouffffffffff
My dealer was laughing cause i was transported to a life concert!
He concluded by saying pro1000 is even better....

Macbook pro -roon-tidal-Devialet200 frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina
(23-May-2017, 16:55)samsoum Wrote: Hi fellas,
I would like to share my experience with all of you, and specially to guys like me who didn t choose to upgrade to pro series.
My dealer loaned me a companion to test on my system for the week end.
Some troubles to make it configured properly was fast fixed after the help much appreciated of #brit# thumb5# confused#
To make the story short : dev400 is a superior amp to dev200, in every way, specially in bass and soundstage.
I ve notived also it is a quiter amp, and dynamically better.
Honestly speaking i like it very much, but not outstanded to a degree of saying: this amp need to stay here.
This is mostly due , i think, to my speakers wich need more quality than quantity!
I m not saying that  the dev400 is only about power, but in my system dev 200 delivered the good.( i can t imagine dev 440 pro or 1000pro performance)
The price suggested by my dealer before discount is 4360$,3350£,3900€.
I m waiting now for the end of munich high end show to end and see what are the streamer solutions available and what about os streamer for the new pro .
In my dealer showroom, i listened to 220pro with sopra 2 briefly , and i wasn t at all impressed, specially by bass.
Before leaving, my dealer told me that i can t leave without listening to these: sasha2 + Dan d agostino nstream: i listened to one samba style track, what i can say is just amazing! The speakers where white, and they diffused the sound in such an organization and rhythm and dynamic... ouffffffffff
My dealer was laughing cause i was transported to a life concert!
He concluded by saying pro1000 is even better....

Macbook pro -roon-tidal-Devialet200 frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina

The Dan d agostino nstream.... is that a streamer or does it do amplification too?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.