Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shunyata Research
(08-Jul-2017, 09:54)zdenes Wrote:
(07-Jul-2017, 17:06)Tremayne Wrote: Shunyata Alpha SPDIF digital cable which replaced the DHLabs Silver Sonic D110 hybrid Devialet chain cable in my 1000Pro.

I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

So I ended up using the Oyaide spdif with a converter at the companion end but I have already bought an AES/EBU plug and planning to replace the RCA at that end. I wouldn't want to DIY plugs on such an expensive cable as the Shunyata so my question is, do you compromise using the RCA-RCA connection or do you use an adapter which is another compromise?

Zoltan
There's no compromise necessary Zoltan. Shunyata are working on an RCA to AES/EBU digital cable especially for use with Devialet. You can audition both and use the one that you prefer.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
(08-Jul-2017, 12:27)Tremayne Wrote:
(08-Jul-2017, 09:54)zdenes Wrote:
(07-Jul-2017, 17:06)Tremayne Wrote: Shunyata Alpha SPDIF digital cable which replaced the DHLabs Silver Sonic D110 hybrid Devialet chain cable in my 1000Pro.

I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

So I ended up using the Oyaide spdif with a converter at the companion end but I have already bought an AES/EBU plug and planning to replace the RCA at that end. I wouldn't want to DIY plugs on such an expensive cable as the Shunyata so my question is, do you compromise using the RCA-RCA connection or do you use an adapter which is another compromise?

Zoltan
There's no compromise necessary Zoltan. Shunyata are working on an RCA to AES/EBU digital cable especially for use with Devialet. You can audition both and use the one that you prefer.

This is excellent news! Any idea when it will be available?

Zoltan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(08-Jul-2017, 13:22)zdenes Wrote:
(08-Jul-2017, 12:27)Tremayne Wrote:
(08-Jul-2017, 09:54)zdenes Wrote: I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

Zoltan

This is excellent news! Any idea when it will be available?

Zoltan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Zoltan,

I'll be getting a SDC prototype in a week or so which I will send to Tremayne so that he can make a direct comparison and report back his findings. 

Confused is very kindly lending me his Audioprana hybrid cable which will he helpful in evaluating the new Shunyata "Devialet" cable (SDC).

Up until now the Transparent Ref XL has been generally acknowledged by many on various fora (and by reviewers) as one of the best SPDIF (and AES for that matter) available. It's certainly never failed to impress me and both AES and SPDIF variants have been a core part of my setup for many years. Rufus also owned an Ref XL SPDIF for a while and he also got to compare it to quite a few others.

Therefore for me an interesting test will be Audioprana v Ref XL v Alpha SPDIF v SDC - as a link between the dual monos.

The prototype that Tremayne has has apparently already been improved on - this was confirmed to me last night! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the details. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the test results.

It would be really good to know what the link cable actually does. Does it synchronise the two units somehow or merely transfers digital data to the right channel? The latter would be really less than ideal as the two channels will never sound the same. But Devialet says that AES can only be used as an input, so if that is the chaining link, how is data transfer bidirectional? Can anybody shed some light on this?

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(08-Jul-2017, 21:58)zdenes Wrote: Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the details. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the test results.

It would be really good to know what the link cable actually does. Does it synchronise the two units somehow or merely transfers digital data to the right channel? The latter would be really less than ideal as the two channels will never sound the same. But Devialet says that AES can only be used as an input, so if that is the chaining link, how is data transfer bidirectional? Can anybody shed some light on this?

Zoltan

I've often wondered about this. As Zoltan says, if the link is unidirectional, using a top quality cable will only improve the sound in the right hand channel.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(08-Jul-2017, 21:58)zdenes Wrote: Hi Guillaume,

Zoltan

This has been discussed at length in the past but unfortunately without any clear conclusion.  See link to thread below, 37 pages of posts, the above question does arise, but no clear technical answers.  Although post #324 might hint at something.  Shy

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=151
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Jul-2017, 17:40)GuillaumeB Wrote: Confused is very kindly lending me his Audioprana hybrid cable which will he helpful in evaluating the new Shunyata "Devialet" cable (SDC).

Up until now the Transparent Ref XL has been generally acknowledged by many on various fora (and by reviewers) as one of the best SPDIF (and AES for that matter) available. It's certainly never failed to impress me and both AES and SPDIF variants have been a core part of my setup for many years. Rufus also owned an Ref XL SPDIF for a while and he also got to compare it to quite a few others.

Therefore for me an interesting test will be Audioprana v Ref XL v Alpha SPDIF v SDC - as a link between the dual monos.

The prototype that Tremayne has has apparently already been improved on - this was confirmed to me last night! 

Guillaume

I had a bit of free time this morning, which is significant as I am not expecting to have too much free time in the very near future!  So I have taken the hit now, my beloved Audioprana hybrid cable has been unceremoniously removed from my system and shoved into a little box ready to be sent off to Guillaume. Sad

Although it is not all bad.  I do have the 'official Devialet' Audioquest Carbon directional RCA to RCA cable that comes with the 1000 Pro.  This cable has remained sad, unloved and unused in a box since I received the Pro.  This is being used with a Neutrik XLR to RCA adaptor, so I am not going away from the RCA to AES/EBU connection method.  Trying the 'new' cable now, I thought I could hear some strange distortion in the companion channel, which was disturbing.  On reducing the volume I realised it was some guy up the road using a strimmer.....    This stuff can drive you crazy sometimes.

Back on topic, I have always had a little hunch that the using the RCA to AES/EBU  chaining method is the key, maybe more than the actual cable itself.  Even then though, the Audioprana does have the little 75 to 110 transformer, does that make a difference?  So I think the Guilluame's planned trials with both his own Transparent Ref XL, the Audioprana and the new Shunyata prototype (also with transformer) could be very interesting and enlightening.  Good stuff!  Meanwhile, any listening I do for a while will be RCA to AES/EBU with no transformer.  Will I notice any change?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
very interested to hear at what price point the hybrid cable will sell for. Also waiting for the introduction of the Digital Alpha cables in continental Europe.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Hi, I have just returned 3 Shunyata cables that were kindly loaned by Guillaume. The cables in question were a Venom HC which I ran between wall socket (dedicated spur, Supra mains cable) and Shunyata UK6, and 2 x Delta EF UKs from the UK6 into my D400s. The Shunyata cables were a BIG step up in cost compared to my previous power cables but I wanted to try once and for all to scratch the itch that I could get more out the D400. 

At Guillaume’s suggestion I started with the Venom HC and could immediately hear a calmer, less strident, but with a nice increase in detail, as the UK6 feeds my TV/AV system as well there were benefits noticed across the piece.

Now to the interesting bit…

After a few days familiarisation I decided some serious listening was required, but I threw convention out of the window and did it at when we would normally call the worse time of the day, early morning. Time of day - 8.30am, so there was no ‘late night music feeling’, Mood - Ok’ish, Weather outside poor, No lotto win, No effects of alcohol to ‘distort emotions’, the system had not been running for hours and the curtains were open so lots of window glass around, Oh and the listening room is a wooden suspended floor….

I chose recordings which I am familiar with but not new ones, they were CD standard rips and a few hi-res downloads. I started with Kate Bush ‘ Running up that Hill (Make a deal with God)', standard CD rip. This track has a lot of focus on the drums used, marching type at times, and the detail, weight and the ability to hear the different types of drums used was fantastic, you could hear the double tracking/voice manipulation clearly towards the end of the song as it builds and the complexity of the arrangement. I also listened to Kate’s ‘King of the Mountain' and found similar improvements.

Next up ‘the Best of Little Feat’, I like this album but have often felt it sounded a bit bland, with the Delta EFs in place the whole album became so much more interesting, engaging, and enjoyable. Again weight, detail, space etc.

Then lastly onto Springsteen, I often find the test of a good system is the ability to deconstruct the wall of sound that Bruce likes to bombard us with (in a nice way). Various tracks listening to, (all hi-res), various tracks from the High Hopes album, 'American Skins(41 Shots)' -  the details on the background vocals made everything much clearer and at the same time deeper and atmospheric, ‘Harrys Place’ - menace in the vocals, lush strings…, then finally ‘Prove it all night’ of the Live Helsinki concert from Bruce’s own download site. This track is one of the few guitar fest tracks that Springsteen does and the interplay between Bruce and Little Steven is sometime hard to follow, not this time, much easier to follow the guitars, and all other instruments as well.

Other albums listened to whilst I had the cables included U2’s Zooropa, I have often found U2’s music on CD to be less inspiring or engaging than on vinyl, but now I could hear the many effects used by Brian Eno and the real electronic side of the album.

The Delta EFs were a revelation, their construction and quality build along with the cooper conn connector fitted the D400 with lids perfectly. The increase in sound quality was marked, across the sound spectrum, particularly noticeable in the bass region which I felt had been lacking previously.

All in all, enjoyable listening experience… so I placed an order with Guillaume and my shiny new Shunyatas will be with me on Saturday, Happy Days..
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
Are there any updates on the Shunyata Devialet Chain (SDC) cable? Costs? Availability? Seems like all went quiet....
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA