Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is upgraded Power supply beneficial for Audio Server and why?
Hi all

I have a Mac Mini as my media server feeding my Devialet. I am using Roon as the server software processing my FLAC files.

I have a JS-2 Linear Power Supply from Uptone that I facilitating on whether to install or not.

The reason for the doubt is that with audio streams being delivered to the Devialet over Ethernet, in what portion of the preparation of the data file delivery, would the JS-2 provide benefits to the audio quality?

As I understand it, Roon takes the FLAC file, processes to deliver a PCM file or if DSD, a DSD file to the Devialet. There is no-where in the process that the power supply will impact the quality of audio playback.

Is this a true statement? If not, where is my thinking wrong.

Secondly, once we all get our upgrades for the Devialet Streamer, Does having a super Linear Power Supply on the Mac Mini make any difference at all?

Hopefully my question is fair.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
It's a very fair question but one that's not likely to get a definitive answer from the forum.

My own point of view, for what it's worth, is that the power supply feeding the Mac Mini is very unlikely to have a significant - or even noticeable - effect on sound quality, for the reasons you outlined.  (I'm assuming that there aren't any ground loops or anything that would obviously inject noise into the Devialet.)

Others, perhaps the majority round these parts, will have different opinions about this.  Ultimately the only way to find out whether it matters (to you) is to try it.  If you already have a linear power supply, why not just plug it in and see - or rather hear - what happens?  Whether or not it has any objective, measurable effect you might prefer it, and that's really the only thing that matters.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(09-Aug-2017, 21:31)thumb5 Wrote: It's a very fair question but one that's not likely to get a definitive answer from the forum.

My own point of view, for what it's worth, is that the power supply feeding the Mac Mini is very unlikely to have a significant - or even noticeable - effect on sound quality, for the reasons you outlined.  (I'm assuming that there aren't any ground loops or anything that would obviously inject noise into the Devialet.)

Others, perhaps the majority round these parts, will have different opinions about this.  Ultimately the only way to find out whether it matters (to you) is to try it.  If you already have a linear power supply, why not just plug it in and see - or rather hear - what happens?  Whether or not it has any objective, measurable effect you might prefer it, and that's really the only thing that matters.

Hi Ian

To use the UpTone Linear Power supply, I need to pull the Mac Mini Power circuit and replace it with a circuit board provided by UpTone. I should note that the JS-2 Dual Linear Power Supply is wonderfully made but I think it would fit with someone who is perhaps using USB as their transport medium, (I have the UpTone audio USB Regen as well). I might be wrong but I just don't see it adding any further clarity or quality to the music I get now from the server system, Roon and D250 Pro via Ethernet.  

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
I might be wrong but I just don't see it adding any further clarity or quality to the music I get now from the server system, Roon and D250 Pro via Ethernet.  
Cheers
Bob

Bob, I agree. Having used the system much less in the last few years, I have suddenly started listening avidly again.
Roon / AIR is a ridiculous  step-up from the sound I had before- the clarity is amazing. The ease with which I can pick out individual voices and instruments is wonderful, and I can play much louder than sensible with terrific bass response and without sounding shouty.

I am very happy- the D400 finally revealing its potential! (Hmmm, maybe I should have Pro'd it.....)
regards
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(11-Aug-2017, 05:58)ICUDoc Wrote: I might be wrong but I just don't see it adding any further clarity or quality to the music I get now from the server system, Roon and D250 Pro via Ethernet.  
Cheers
Bob

Bob, I agree. Having used the system much less in the last few years, I have suddenly started listening avidly again.
Roon / AIR is a ridiculous  step-up from the sound I had before- the clarity is amazing. The ease with which I can pick out individual voices and instruments is wonderful, and I can play much louder than sensible with terrific bass response and without sounding shouty.

I am very happy- the D400 finally revealing its potential! (Hmmm, maybe I should have Pro'd it.....)
regards

Hi ICUDoc

I made the trip to the D250 Pro starting with D120 --> D200 --> D250 --> D250Pro. 

Each step delivered on it's promise of increased fidelity and whole sound. I would have saved perhaps going direct to D250, but the experience was a delight and I have no regrets on the route I took.

I am convinced quality cables from the Devialet to the speakers are important, in fact, any analogue cable needs in my humble opinion, attention. The digital cables with error correction seems less important now and for sure, those digital networks that have robust error correction techniques like TCP/IP do not need "magic" cables.

For the data servers, (and that is what I think Roon has made our source systems), am becoming 100% convinced, there is little benefit to upgrading the PSU.

To answer your indirect query about upgrading the D400 to Pro, I would answer that my twin brother has the D400 Pro driving 40.1 Harbeths, (88db), and the sound is exquisite! My custom speakers are 91db sensitive and the D250pro drives them perfectly. 

I went from Italian tube to Devialet, my twin from Nelson Pass to Devialet. We were really happy with our initial and subsequent upgrades. We would still be happy with what we had D250/D200 respectfully, prior to upgrading today but the siren call of the Pro upgrade was too much for both of us, we both succumbed to her call! My bro definitely benefited from the increased power of the D400 Pro for his hungry speakers!

So, No regrets! Just Tighter bank accounts after was the only downside!

Cheers

Bob
(12-Aug-2017, 16:18)boba2013 Wrote:
(11-Aug-2017, 05:58)ICUDoc Wrote: I might be wrong but I just don't see it adding any further clarity or quality to the music I get now from the server system, Roon and D250 Pro via Ethernet.  
Cheers
Bob

regards

Hi ICUDoc

I made the trip to the D250 Pro starting with D120 --> D200 --> D250 --> D250Pro. 

Each step delivered on it's promise of increased fidelity and whole sound. I would have saved perhaps going direct to D250, but the experience was a delight and I have no regrets on the route I took.

I am convinced quality cables from the Devialet to the speakers are important, in fact, any analogue cable needs in my humble opinion, attention. The digital cables with error correction seems less important now and for sure, those digital networks that have robust error correction techniques like TCP/IP do not need "magic" cables.

For the data servers, (and that is what I think Roon has made our source systems), am becoming 100% convinced, there is little benefit to upgrading the PSU.

To answer your indirect query about upgrading the D400 to Pro, I would answer that my twin brother has the D400 Pro driving 40.1 Harbeths, (88db), and the sound is exquisite! My custom speakers are 91db sensitive and the D250pro drives them perfectly. 

I went from Italian tube to Devialet, my twin from Nelson Pass to Devialet. We were really happy with our initial and subsequent upgrades. We would still be happy with what we had D250/D200 respectfully, prior to upgrading today but the siren call of the Pro upgrade was too much for both of us, we both succumbed to her call! My bro definitely benefited from the increased power of the D400 Pro for his hungry speakers!

So, No regrets! Just Tighter bank accounts after was the only downside!

Cheers

Bob

Following on Bob's response, the move from D200 -> D220Pro was quite interesting and took a couple of weeks to get use to.  I was able to reduce SAM by 50% but I felt something was missing in the high mids and tweeter from the D200 and had some early concerns thinking I should have stayed with the D200, the system eventually filled in beautifully (break in).  I soon after moved to twin D220Pro's and was able to completely remove SAM from my config, tune all settings to neutral and am quite happy with the current configuration, but.... I am now fawning over a O'dA or a D1000 and waiting for the local dealer to get one of them in to compare to the D440.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia