Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Connecting headphones to a Devialet
I have a D170 (Now D200?) and would like to connect my equally lovely Ultrasone Edition 8 headphones with mini jacks to the Devialet.

I think I read somewhere about someone connect headphones to the Devialet. Could someone enlighten me on how to dot that?
You need to use coax 1 and coax 2 re-configured as a pre-amp output.
You will need either a hybrid 2 x RCA to headphone socket cable or use a 2 x RCA socket to headphone socket adapter
You also need to re-configure your remote so that the balance/tone/SAM button becomes a pre-out on/off button and don't forget to disable "mute" on the pre-out.
Then, when you want to listen to headphones, just switch on the pre-out and mute the speakers.
(09-Jun-2014, 12:28)magu79 Wrote: You need to use coax 1 and coax 2 re-configured as a pre-amp output.
You will need either a hybrid 2 x RCA to headphone socket cable or use a 2 x RCA socket to headphone socket adapter
You also need to re-configure your remote so that the balance/tone/SAM button becomes a pre-out on/off button and don't forget to disable "mute" on the pre-out.
Then, when you want to listen to headphones, just switch on the pre-out and mute the speakers.

Thanks, I will try it out when I get the adapter
(10-Jun-2014, 02:06)agentsmith Wrote:
(09-Jun-2014, 12:28)magu79 Wrote: You need to use coax 1 and coax 2 re-configured as a pre-amp output.

Sorry but how do I reconfigure the remote? Cannot seem to find it in the online configurator.
(11-Jun-2014, 07:21)agentsmith Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 02:06)agentsmith Wrote:

Sorry but how do I reconfigure the remote? Cannot seem to find it in the online configurator.
Choose the "Advanced" configurator on the website. Click general Setting, click the Remote tab.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
By the way. It worked as instructed and it is by far the best headphone experience I have ever had. Very similar quality to the speakers system with strong tuneful bass, lots of detail and not fatiguing like that coming of the Audioquest dragonfly

Highly recommend to try if you have decent cans
(18-Jun-2014, 01:00)agentsmith Wrote: By the way. It worked as instructed and it is by far the best headphone experience I have ever had. Very similar quality to the speakers system with strong tuneful bass, lots of detail and not fatiguing like that coming of the Audioquest dragonfly

Highly recommend to try if you have decent cans

Agreed, I picked up some bits from Maplin, plugged in, and had the best headphone experience since buying them. Now my Graham Slee headphone amp is redundant. Selling that will help fund a wall bracket for the D! Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Um, don't you have to be careful about levels here lest you overload the headphones? So I imagine you don't leave the headphones plugged in while listening on speakers, and you set the default turn-on volume to a low level? Or am I being paranoid here?
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(02-Oct-2014, 01:40)flohmann Wrote: Um, don't you have to be careful about levels here lest you overload the headphones? So I imagine you don't leave the headphones plugged in while listening on speakers, and you set the default turn-on volume to a low level? Or am I being paranoid here?

I have my D configured to have the pre outs permanently switched on, so that I only have to mute the speakers and plug my phones in. You're right to assume that you unplug the phones when listening through the speakers. I have 'phones with different impedances and have my volume control set to default to -30dB then have to turn it up a fair way to get the right listening level. I suggest that you "clock" the dB setting when you have the phones at the right listening level, then set the default 20db lower than that for peace of mind.

There is no SAM map available for my speakers. I'm assuming that SAM is implemented in the pre-amp stage. Do owners of SAMable speakers who listen through 'phones notice any discernible differences with SAM switched in or out?

Would it be feasible/beneficial to write a SAM profile for specific pairs of 'phones?

Regards to all,
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
One new issue with headphones listening on the Devialet.

I just added a turntable to my setup with great success, the phono section of the Devialet is fantastic, making me question why I have gone all digital all along.

My issue is with headphones listening. My normal routine with digital sources is to select the source, choose pre-out on and mute the volume to shut up the speakers with the headphones output active.

That routine does not work with phono. When I mute the speakers the headphones got muted also.

Any suggestion to solving that problem?