Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
I'm going to give it a try, I've already bought the microphone. Still few questions about measurements, hope anyone in here can help to answer:

1)  Each measurement only measure 1 speaker, I'm going to measure a pair of Phantom Gold, how can I mute 1 without unplug it?
2) The microphone should always point toward center between 2 speakers during measurement, or point toward the speaker to be measured each time?
3) The speakers need to toe-in during measurement?
1) don’t bother, REW will generate left channel only and right channel only sweeps
2) point the mike in between speakers at each location then measure left channel, then right channel
3) let the speakers in the position they are for normal listening
Good luck !
 Roon Air / convolution HAF / Devialet Expert D200/ DIY power and speakers cable / DIY Speakers Atohm EURUS 1.0 + DIY active SW 
I want to recommend people try the HAF filters. I was about to buy software and attempt creating filters myself but then spotted this options. Thank goodness. Doing the measurements (as outlined by Thierry) were not that difficult. I’m sure I could have gotten results with the software I was considering, but, I know it would have been time-consuming and painful…..

Although I knew I had a lot of bass bouncing around my room, I was surprised at the first set of filters HAF developed. I think I have been bombarded with bass for so long that I thought the first filters ‘lacked’ bass. After several discussions and iterations with Thierry he added some bass back in ( but no where near what I had) and I am very happy with the results - the bass has oomph but also definition.

In the end I liked the cross-talk correction filters. I definitely now have a wider soundstage and better separation between instruments. For the price point (and saved time on my part) I can’t recommend Thierry’s filters enough. Not to mention the excellent service (and patience in my case) he provides. Just looked and I have 40 emails with him!

Dan
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
(05-Oct-2017, 17:31)Alec_eiffel Wrote:
(05-Oct-2017, 17:03)SwissBear Wrote: Hi Alec_eiffel,

I was quoting Mitch because his recommendations are kind of 'state of the art' in making measurements. You might have your own habits, but he has a considerable track-record in this field. He suggests to make measurements with furniture removed for a reason, which is not to correct the installation for the reflections which are linked to the furniture.

So you should, if you want to make the measurements as recommended by experienced people, remove the chairs of your listening area as well as the coffee table before making the measurements.

Just my 2c
Your recommendation makes sense clearly. I'll check with Thierry about his view on what is best for "coffee tables and chairs", that are generating reflections in the first 10ms.
PROS for removing furniture in the reflection free zone :
- better segregation direct field VERSUS reflected + reverb field
- better speakers phase measurements  --> better phase correction
CONS
- "spectral" behaviour of early reflections changing overall  tone balance ?
- frequency spectrum of reverberated field wrongly estimated and therefore not properly corrected ?
Alec_eiffel

Did Thierry ever get back to you on best way - remove or leave the furniture?

Cheers
John
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
@Celts88 I think Thierry did answer this but I cannot find his email anymore. I believe he said to remove to furniture which is between the speakers and the listening position (such as coffee table...) and do not touch the rest.
 Roon Air / convolution HAF / Devialet Expert D200/ DIY power and speakers cable / DIY Speakers Atohm EURUS 1.0 + DIY active SW 
Ok, that's make sense, thanks.
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
I am going to make some measurements, but the first problem I've met is how to play test signal from REW to Phantom? My laptop doesn't has optical output. Shall I use Bluetooth instead?
(25-Dec-2017, 04:26)timhbf Wrote: I am going to make some measurements, but the first problem I've met is how to play test signal from REW to Phantom? My laptop doesn't has optical output. Shall I use Bluetooth instead?

Mmm compressed protocols are not ideal. If you have a Mac Airplay would be better, and make sure you have the very last version of REW (5.19 beta 7) as the previous causes glitches with Airplay and alike.
Another way is to play sweeps out of REW with your regular player plugged to the optical entry.
Hit "start measuring" in REW then play the left sweep, REW will detect the timing signal and do the recording. Than save the recording as "LEFT X" where X is the position number from 1 to 9. Then "hit start measuring", play the right sweep, then save "RIGHT X". Move the mike position X+1 and start again.
For sweep files you can use these that I generated for the Roon forum https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lxsrx8pq3j3vd...zHsya?dl=0
Make sure the measurement screen in REW looks like this
[Image: config%20recording.png?raw=1]
My measurements are still unsuccessfully, anyone tried to measure Phantom with success? The signal to noise ratio is very poor.
impulse response

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)