Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Od'A for sale
While I assume it is not the end of the forum...it is sad to see G’s Od’A go. To me it represents a symbol of a shift in the forum. I find myself reading less because there seems to be less here. For one thing, there is far more Phantom Discussion then there used to be. I have no issues with Phantom whatsoever - I just don’t have one - and don’t want one. I have valued and followed closely G’s comments/tweaks/etc and have noticed far less posting by him recently - so the sale is not a surprise - seems like a fork in the road....
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
(12-Jan-2018, 22:51)Dan Wrote: While I assume it is not the end of the forum...it is sad to see G’s Od’A go. To me it represents a symbol of a shift in the forum. I find myself reading less because there seems to be less here. For one thing, there is far more Phantom Discussion then there used to be. I have no issues with Phantom whatsoever - I just don’t have one - and don’t want one. I have valued and followed closely G’s comments/tweaks/etc and have noticed far less posting by him recently - so the sale is not a surprise - seems like a fork in the road....

Dan - I am really quite touched by your post. I didn’t think people took much notice of me on here anymore Lol

If people are interested in following me on my hi-fi journey of course I’ll be happy to continue sharing. I have always encouraged people leaving Devialet ownership to stay on the forum, unfortunately most don’t which is a shame. Diversity of opinion is what makes this hobby such fun and we can all learn from one another. There is just so much amazing stuff out there and nowhere near enough time in the day to experience it all. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-Jan-2018, 22:51)Dan Wrote: While I assume it is not the end of the forum...it is sad to see G’s Od’A go. To me it represents a symbol of a shift in the forum. I find myself reading less because there seems to be less here. For one thing, there is far more Phantom Discussion then there used to be. I have no issues with Phantom whatsoever - I just don’t have one - and don’t want one. I have valued and followed closely G’s comments/tweaks/etc and have noticed far less posting by him recently - so the sale is not a surprise - seems like a fork in the road....

I too am sad to see that Guillaume has sold his Od'A.  I am sure there are many reasons behind the sale, but I am also sure that Devialet's treatment of Od'A buyers and the subsequent lack of sensible communication must have contributed.  Guillaume is a founder of this forum, arguably the founder of this forum, I just hope Devialet are taking note in that the way they treat customers can destroy brand loyalty in even in the most enthusiastic amongst their customer base.

That said, congrats to whoever has bought Guillaumes Od'A, it is not really a second hand item, you have the limited edition copper gold case and being recently upgraded to 1000Pro spec most if the innards are brand new, plus no hassle required sending back for the CI upgrade, this is already done.  There is a canny buyer out there somewhere!

I was most struck by @Dan 's "fork in the road" comment.  In a way, I know exactly what Dan is saying, the posting on this forum is not quite what it used to be and losing Guillaume as 'tweaker in chief' is indeed a negative.  

That said, I think this forum has a key role going forward.  I joined in the early days of this forum when the Expert range was still very new.  After the D-Premier, the Expert range, which offered both higher spec and lower prices lead to a significant increase in sales and interest.  It also gave rise to many problems, the most notable of which was the well reported issues with AIR.  During this time the forum was always a combination of folk complaining about issues, others trying to solve the issues, and those reporting experiments with ancillaries, front end sources, speakers and everything else.  The key point though is that between us we did pretty much establish how to get the best out of an Expert amp, what sources worked well, the differences between USB and AES/EBU inputs are, all this kind of stuff. As a community this can be done far more effectively than trying to work it all out for yourself, and more effectively means faster and cheaper for many individual owners.  The information posted on this forum has on occasion been absolute gold dust.

So what is the key role of this forum looking forward?  Currently much of the posting is about the CI Board 'upgrade' and the associated issues.  OK, you could say this makes this forum nothing but the go to place for a bit of moaning and complaining, but also it has to be true that the sharing of this information can only help to solve these issues.  Plus it serves as feedback to Devialet, I do know that they read this forum even if they do not contribute.  

I also think that when the new CI Board debugging and trouble shooting dies down a bit, we then need the community effort once again to establish how to get the best out of a CI Board equipped Pro.  With the new USB implementation and the Pro's inherent performance difference, I suspect that the answers to this question will be different to that with the Expert.  Plus we still need to answer the question as to how exactly to extract the very best sound quality from the CI Board, there may be many gems yet to be discovered.

So yes, a fork in the road, but my view is that this forum has the potential to be as useful and productive as ever as we progress down the latest section of road.

Many thanks to Guillaume, Rufus and Martyn for keeping the forum alive.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Great post.
I would like to add that I learned more about Devialet in this forum than everywhere else and that made me confident enough to buy my 250.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
Same here. I hope you will keep sharing Guillaume. I love the Devialet / Shunyata synergy. I suppose with you selling your Od'A it will be difficult to comment on future questions on what works between these two brands. Thank you for all your input and hope you will be around for time to come.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Cant really say I am surprised the Absolare and total dac is an amazing combination. Happy listening Guillaume. It would be a great idea for other people who have moved on to share their experiences with the alternative equipment and how it compares to the Devialet Expert Pro on this forum. I am worried for the resale value if there is a mass exodus. Already I saw a D400 selling for €6000.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
(13-Jan-2018, 17:19)kerkhoffd Wrote: Same here. I hope you will keep sharing Guillaume. I love the Devialet / Shunyata synergy. I suppose with you selling your Od'A it will be difficult to comment on future questions on what works between these two brands. Thank you for all your input and hope you will be around for time to come.

Thanks! Smile  Actually there are many Shunyata owners on this forum so I am sure people will be happy to contribute when appropriate. On my side I have done a huge amount of testing so have a pretty good handle on what works. Don't forget that Caelin also owns a Devialet!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-Jan-2018, 17:11)jbp Wrote: Great post.
I would like to add that I learned more about Devialet in this forum than everywhere else and that made me confident enough to buy my 250.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

+1

When I bougt my first 200 and found out of this forum I was hooked. Learnt alot over the years with my 200, 400 and 440Pro from this forum. Today I only own a Phantom in my second system and moved on to a complete TAD system in my main system.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I read this with mixed feelings.

I'm not the kind of person who would actively engage with others on forums yet from day one I felt that I belong here. That's of course thanks to the founders and all memebrs. I learned a lot and still is.

@GuillaumeB enjoy your HiFi journey and I will be on the watch for your continued contributions and support to DevialetChat.

@Confused +1 to your comments and thank you for your active contributions. They indeed enrich the forum.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(13-Jan-2018, 14:03)Confused Wrote:

So what is the key role of this forum looking forward?  Currently much of the posting is about the CI Board 'upgrade' and the associated issues.  OK, you could say this makes this forum nothing but the go to place for a bit of moaning and complaining, but also it has to be true that the sharing of this information can only help to solve these issues.  Plus it serves as feedback to Devialet, I do know that they read this forum even if they do not contribute.  

I also think that when the new CI Board debugging and trouble shooting dies down a bit, we then need the community effort once again to establish how to get the best out of a CI Board equipped Pro.  With the new USB implementation and the Pro's inherent performance difference, I suspect that the answers to this question will be different to that with the Expert.  Plus we still need to answer the question as to how exactly to extract the very best sound quality from the CI Board, there may be many gems yet to be discovered.

Off topic, but Confused's posting about the CI Board is somewhat stalled by the fact that Devialet released OS2.1 on 1st December and has released four betas since then, the last being on 23rd March which, on 28th March, Devialet described as "a software regression". I think this is programming language for an elementary mistake. Over one month later and still no beta update and, of course, no definitive update in almost five months.

Still, you can only do so much in a month or in five months with 80 engineers ...
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England