Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
Let us hope Roon and Dirac can find a way to use the correction in Roon. Then you can use Roon, microRendu and Dirac correction all together!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(02-May-2016, 12:37)ogs Wrote: Let us hope Roon and Dirac can find a way to use the correction in Roon. Then you can use Roon, microRendu and Dirac correction all together!

Agreed! Well, Brian did say he'd thought of a way to implement AU/VST plugins via RoonBridge. So I guess it's a matter of time.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Been playing some music through Dirac this evening. Am pretty happy with it again.

I still have the same perceived bass issue as when I tried it previously though. Even though it says it's corrected it, and I've humped up the bass a bit more, it still doesn't feel like I've got enough bass to really slam electronic bass notes home. I've always had this with my system to be honest without Dirac and on both sets of speakers. I'm starting to think with the speakers facing the long direction of the room it must be something about sound pressure rather than measured frequency amplitude - I'm trying to justify that making sense anyway. Otherwise I can't understand why the measurements look ok but it still feels very weak in bass. I don't think I like massively exaggerated bass but maybe I do? Maybe a lot of other setup's have artificially increased bass and I'm just comparing to that? Who knows, I just know I want more bass!!

I do find that I can use the bass EQ on the D200 more effectively now though. I guess because the two big bass peaks are bought down with Dirac I can add more on top without it going mad in the room. It's much more convenient to use the remote for this and also I think I'm borderline into clipping if I push any harder in Dirac.

Listening to John Tejada now, Dirac with a little bass hump, and +6 on the EQ feels a bit more what I'd expect for electronic beats. Well, sort of..... Maybe +10 Wink

Whatever the results Dirac always makes everything sounds less 'thin' and more 'right' so I really want to keep it. Hopefully Roon will get on with integrating it.

Meanwhile, anyone know how to read REW measurements? I did a few at the end but not sure if I did them right - certainly they look pretty different to Dirac's measurements, before and after. But mostly I'd like to try and see what's going on with the channel delay thing.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

tune the target curve by ear.. you want a rising bass -- from around 150 hz to about +4-6 db at the lowest registers
The slam is not in the low bass , its round 70-110 hz..... .. stick in a hump there
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I've been experimenting with targets this week a bit.

What I've decided is a not only like a bit of bass hump for what feels 'natural' in the bass - ie enough of it - but I also like a slightly steeper slope than the Dirac default - ie I like things slightly more bass heavy according to Dirac. Whether this is actually what I like in reality, or whether doing this compensates better for what appears to be a big bass suckout in my setup, I'm not sure.

But I'm fairly happy with the sound. That said, no matter what I do I don't get that bass slam or even close without things sounding a bit 'boxy', or the clipping indicator going. So I've also been experimenting with EQ on top. I'll get there. More and more I thing shooting speakers down the length of the room, plus them being transmission line, just might not get to the electronic beats I like, but for now I can rest happier.

I find the curves quite sensitive in the 200-500hz zone. It can have quite an affect on bass, but also make music a bit more 'in your face'. Sort of reminds me of my Naim setup which I actually liked quite a lot.

I really like playing with the curves. Tweakers delight. And you don't have to buy any extra kit to do it (well, once you've paid for Dirac).

New development from Roon http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...0#pid53660
No mention of Dirac though, but hopefully it's part of their plan...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Are there also people having experience with Acourate? It's said it bestens Dirac when compared directly...

And also, is it true when you use digital room correction it only sounds better on one (the sweet) spot, and worse on other spots?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
I have used Acourate .. IMHO DIRAC is better....
Yes , you measure and correct for listening position.. what the rest of the room does is irrelevant..
you would need a speaker like the beolab 90 to have multiple places in the room that sound as good as the sweet spot
Be VERY aware when using both programs , they will apply a -10db or so attenuation to the digital signal , forcing you to play 10db louder on the devialet..depending on devialet model , recorded music level and speaker efficiency , you could be at as much as much as +10 or more on the devialet
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I really miss Dirac, but since it's a closed system I started looking at alternate ways to do it in terms of making convolution filters to use with other software convolution.

Acourare seems like the one that gets the most good feedback, so I had a briwse through the website. Wow, I know some people say Diracs basic, but they really took a complex thing and made it easy to use for the end user. I was going to try Acourare, but you can't really demo it - you can only send your measurements off along with two FLAC files that get converted for you. I know software gets cracked and everything, but there's got to be better ways than that - how do you experiment with target curves etc, and how do you try filters in 3rd party convolution software?

Anyway, I've ruled it out for now, I just looks like it will eat time. So are there any other filter creation systems out there that can be evaluated and would stand a chance of measuring up to Dirac? I don't want to do a bunch of parametric EQ in REW - I want to get a proper multi position measurement convolution with impulse responses etc. Any suggestions or is Acourate pretty much it? Software only, not hardware, and use with a USB mic and up to 192.

(04-Jan-2017, 23:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I really miss Dirac, but since it's a closed system I started looking at alternate ways to do it in terms of making convolution filters to use with other software convolution.

Acourare seems like the one that gets the most good feedback, so I had a briwse through the website. Wow, I know some people say Diracs basic, but they really took a complex thing and made it easy to use for the end user. I was going to try Acourare, but you can't really demo it - you can only send your measurements off along with two FLAC files that get converted for you. I know software gets cracked and everything, but there's got to be better ways than that - how do you experiment with target curves etc, and how do you try filters in 3rd party convolution software?

Anyway, I've ruled it out for now, I just looks like it will eat time. So are there any other filter creation systems out there that can be evaluated and would stand a chance of measuring up to Dirac?  I don't want to do a bunch of parametric EQ in REW - I want to get a proper multi position measurement convolution with impulse responses etc. Any suggestions or is Acourate pretty much it? Software only, not hardware, and use with a USB mic and up to 192.

I began a search for software solutions early December that could be used to generate FIR filters for use with miniDSP units for room correction/speaker voicing.  I downloaded appropriate trial, demo or evaluation files and tried each with a straight forward example.  Before the Christmas break, I had reduced the field down to FIR Designer, Filter Hose and rePhase.  Personally, I find the first very intuitive to use with all the steps simply laid out.  It's reasonably priced and there have been five updates during December.
I hope to continue testing mid January but think FIR Designer will be hard to beat.