Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
Inspired by the resurrection of this thread I decided to pull my finger out and do some measurements with my UMIK-1 microphone which I bought several months ago (I know!).

Anyway it's a bit rough and ready, I could probably have positioned the microphone a bit better but just wanted to get a quick reading.

Anyway I'm embarrassed to say I haven't really a clue of what I'm supposed to be looking at, well not much anyway... Blush

Here's the chart I ran off on Dirac:

Oh I also created a filter and played some music... toggled between filter on and off a few times. With the filter on it seemed to kill some of the midrange which I wasn't convinced about... still it's very early days so the jury is still out!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I had an antimode 2.0 , works real well as a self contained system and can be connected up many ways.. you still need to set up a house curve and apply some parametric eq to tweak it all. Optical I/O only.
Minidsp boxes are not that inflexible as for $75 you can buy other i/o options
I have a spdif in/balanced analog out board for my spdif to spdif units , in 3 minutes I can convert them over. so if you order one model with its i/o , its easy to convert to another.

All these correction things are just preference based anyway , your target curve is not fixed , so if you dont like one type of sound..you can change it
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
The Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 is not optical I/O only, for digital yes but it also has analog in- and outputs (both XLR and RCA). I own and use one currently to correct the output to my subwoofer (<80Hz, 4th order) using the RCA in- and outputs of the Anti-Mode and the pre-out of my 250.

Dirac is nice though I still want to play with it sometime although I currenly don't have the best setup for it (I still use the 250 for amplifying the fronts in surround as well, although stereo is primary use). Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(08-Dec-2014, 17:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: Inspired by the resurrection of this thread I decided to pull my finger out and do some measurements with my UMIK-1 microphone which I bought several months ago (I know!).

Anyway it's a bit rough and ready, I could probably have positioned the microphone a bit better but just wanted to get a quick reading.

Anyway I'm embarrassed to say I haven't really a clue of what I'm supposed to be looking at, well not much anyway... Blush

Oh I also created a filter and played some music... toggled between filter on and off a few times. With the filter on it seemed to kill some of the midrange which I wasn't convinced about... still it's very early days so the jury is still out!

Guillaume

Well the net result of this is that I've just ordered some more bass traps from GIK! I think I read somewhere that you can never have too many bass traps in a room...

This time I've gone for their Monster Bass Traps with built-in scatter plates and range limiters as well as custom wood stands so they will be floor standing. Going to position these at the back of the room behind the listening position to start with... lots of experimenting over Xmas! Cool

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Even if I were to measure my room acoustics I'm not sure I'd have any clue as to what the results meant or how I would need to address them.

:|

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(09-Dec-2014, 18:08)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(08-Dec-2014, 17:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: Inspired by the resurrection of this thread I decided to pull my finger out and do some measurements with my UMIK-1 microphone which I bought several months ago (I know!).

Guillaume

Well the net result of this is that I've just ordered some more bass traps from GIK! I think I read somewhere that you can never have too many bass traps in a room...

This time I've gone for their Monster Bass Traps with built-in scatter plates and range limiters as well as custom wood stands so they will be floor standing. Going to position these at the back of the room behind the listening position to start with... lots of experimenting over Xmas! Cool

Guillaume

Is there anyone who actually stocks bass traps and similar in the UK? I can find lots of info and pictures on line, but I would prefer to be able to go and have a look at what's available.
You have a huge hump at 30 hz , no bass traps will cure that , the suckout you have slightly higher up the range , might or might not be that audible , suckouts in general are not as obtrusive as peaks.
you can "cure" the suckout by changing listening chair positions or run multiple subs to smooth the room response.
Not sure if the 60hz suckout is a destructive null or not , if its a destructive null , then any power you pour in to boost or correct it is of no effect
At any rate , thats where most bass lives and the suckout will limit the slam and impact of bass and affect lower mids too ..

1-3k hump is not too severe , however it is in the region where the ear is most sensitive and will give you a forward (and sometimes strident) sound , with a little excessive treble energy.
You already have DIRAC.. so manipulate the target curve to embody what you currently like (like the low treble hump) and correct what you dont.
Or just limit Diracs correction to the low bass...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(10-Dec-2014, 07:19)Rodney Gold Wrote: You have a huge hump at 30 hz , no bass traps will cure that , the suckout you have slightly higher up the range , might or might not be that audible , suckouts in general are not as obtrusive as peaks.
you can "cure" the suckout by changing listening chair positions or run multiple subs to smooth the room response.
Not sure if the 60hz suckout is a destructive null or not , if its a destructive null , then any power you pour in to boost or correct it is of no effect
At any rate , thats where most bass lives and the suckout will limit the slam and impact of bass and affect lower mids too ..

1-3k hump is not too severe , however it is in the region where the ear is most sensitive and will give you a forward (and sometimes strident) sound , with a little excessive treble energy.
You already have DIRAC.. so manipulate the target curve to embody what you currently like (like the low treble hump) and correct what you dont.
Or just limit Diracs correction to the low bass...

Cheers! This is very helpful. Will let you know how I get on. Smile

Unfortunately it's too late to cancel my GIK order... will be interesting to see what effect (if any) they have anyway.

Guillaume

UK
You can only do good using bass traps , albeit they wont get that massive hump sorted , they will do wonders for higher up in the bass freq.
Apologies but I have a neophyte question. Since I've not used any room correction whether via hardware or software, I realize that I can't grasp all of what each of your posts mean as I would need the hardware/software in had and actually try it to get the whole picture. 

But in short here are my neophyte question based on the fact that if I do get a Devialet system, I would be running the music off my Windows 8.1 laptop with a CD player attached.  

1. My understanding is that Devialet apparently does not plan to incorporate room correction capability in their systems.  Correct? 

2. However, aftermarket correction can be accomplished upstream of the Devialet? 

3. And this correction can be done via software or hardware.  Is this correct or must I get some type of hardware such as DSpeaker Antimode or miniDSP hardware?  

4. Is there a list somewhere of the credible room correction options?  And any sense if there are some that are generally accepted as being the most effective? 

And yes, I already do have some room treatment items though I've not fully utilized them.  My room is a small 11x13 feet room so it is a challenge.  I like balanced but deep bass extension for acoustic music which gives a realistic foundation. 

The all in one unit and SAM capability of the Devialet is very attractive.  

Thanks in advance for any help in understanding a bit more about room correction for a neophyte. 

Thanks again!
MtnGuy