Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
also be real careful of DRC above 500hz ... you often get drift from left to right with certian curves ... correcting over 500hz tends to change the nature of the speakers sound and moving slightly out the sweet spot can give rise to all sorts of "phasey" type errors.
I find it best to define a target curve that closely follows the measured curve above 1k or so ..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Ps . I have compared various inputs on the 200 and my D premier - AES/EBU in is the best.. easy to compare digital stuff with a devialet , just swap inputs via the remote.. all should be level matched so you dont have to worry about it - all in the digital domain
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(01-Dec-2015, 10:32)Rodney Gold Wrote: also be real careful of DRC above 500hz ... you often get drift from left to right with certian curves ... correcting over 500hz tends to change the nature of the speakers sound and moving slightly out the sweet spot can give rise to all sorts of "phasey" type errors.
I find it best to define a target curve that closely follows the measured curve above 1k or so ..

So, in my screenshot, do you think their suggested curve is close enough, or would track the lumps a bit more? I've been experimenting making some more filters along those lines and the BK curves, but haven't listened yet…

I'm so annoyed about a preferred output not being saved in the Dirac processor. That just seems totally stupid to me, and would require a lot of pointless intervention. They've probably lost themselves a sale….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Also, a couple of other question if you don't mind (as you're clearly pretty familiar with RC.)

When I made the measurements, I assumed I should be in the listening position, but then I probably had the mic very close to my ear - so my head may well have been blocking the sound. Looking at my curves, and the left/right balance I'd say that may well be the case. Where do you put yourself?

And which way to point the mic? I seem to have read point towards speaker wall for stereo, and straight up for surround. But then elsewhere that straight up gives better omni measurement. So I pointed mine up in the end. And mic sock on or off?

(Thanks)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Dirac suggests 9 positions and I believe the first (central/preferred) position is the one that determines trim and delay. Ideally, you should be well out of the way, if not out of the room. Big Grin
Mic vertical with the 90 degree config file. I've never used the sock.

With regard to your attached measurement, I am not familiar with Dirac but, if it is possible, I would drop the whole suggested curve by 5db.
That reduces the size of the null corrections (best to avoid large RC volume boosts) at the expense of generating more peak corrections (acceptable). You may find this produces a correction closer to the suggested curve.
Ultimately, the final arbiter is how it sounds post RC and NOT how smooth the curve is.
You need to redo those measurements
I have found it better to track the original mid/hf response and definitely add some bass while you at it...
aland .. dirac applies a default 10 or 7db attenuation to take care of digital overhead.. wonnt boost infinite nulls or anything like that.
At the end of it all , a target curve is a taste based thing.. tune it to what souns good to you, you have a solid correction foundation to build on
(01-Dec-2015, 17:07)Rodney Gold Wrote: You need to redo those measurements
….

I figured as much, and I'd already ordered a USB extension cable in anticipation! Still you've got to start somewhere….

Commandeering the lounge again so soon will go down like a lead balloon, but its got to be done.
And I may as well put the Facts back in if I'm going to do it.

Annoyingly, according to Dirac support it seems like there's no option for a 'default output', so its not going to work for me for now for purely practical reasons which is a real shame/pain, but I may as well max my trial period and learn.

Thanks for the rest of the input and help.

To resolve the problem with Dirac "default output" what about trying Amarra +IRC (which includes Dirac). It handles default outputs decently on my Mac Mini, and can be had with either full-range or bass-only Dirac. There's a free trial available.
I am encouraged by what I have read in this thread to try adding room correction to my system via a MiniDSP DDRC22D. Unfortunately, this lacks usb input so I need to convert the output from my Aurender X100L to either SPDIF or Toslink. There are two Minidsp converters available to do this, so that's not a big problem. By far the cheapest is the bare board ministreamer having SPDIF output, or there's the neat USBStreamer B unit, which has optical output. From the sound quality point of view, would the latter be a preferred option with better freedom from interference? Any other suggestions for usb converters (preferably readily available in the UK) capable of handling up to 24/96 files?
(02-Dec-2015, 09:58)JohnH Wrote: I am encouraged by what I have read in this thread to try adding room correction to my system via a MiniDSP DDRC22D.  Unfortunately, this lacks usb input so I need to convert the output from my Aurender X100L  to either SPDIF or Toslink.  There are two Minidsp converters available to do this, so that's not a big problem.  By far the cheapest is the bare board ministreamer having SPDIF output, or there's the neat USBStreamer B unit, which has optical output.  From the sound quality point of view, would the latter be a preferred option with better freedom from interference?  Any other suggestions for usb converters (preferably readily available in the UK) capable of handling up to 24/96 files?

Last week I would have thought that adding these sorts of boxes/processes after your Aurender would kind of negate the spend on such a good quality source.

However, now I've tried Room Correction - and quickly reached the best sound I've heard out of my current system - I'd be prepared to let it go as the benefits of RC are huge in my case.

That said, I'd still be very tempted to see of there's any way to do the processing before the Aurender, just so you're absolutely maximising its potential as a source.  Aurender-wise I don't think its possible now.  But next year, if you were using Roon,  I'm sure you'd be able to process your RC on your Roon server, and send the result to the Aurender as a RoonReady endpoint.  There are quite a few missing pieces that aren't released yet (including the ability to run AU/VST plugins in Roon for Dirac or whatever RC software you want), but I feel it will all come together in 2016.

Admittedly my Dirac relationship has only been with one set of speakers and over a very short time, but in terms of what I'm hearing I'm very much doubting this is going to be a one night stand*. Until I'm ever in the position to have a fully treated and dedicated listening room, I'm going to press ahead exploring all RC options.  Even with a treated room, you can change the sound characteristic of the system at the touch of a button once its all setup, which is really nice!.

[* apart from the stupid thing not remembering the Devialet as an output, which is hugely frustrating but not really the fault of the Room Correction per-se]