Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is MacBook Air 1.40 GHz, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM enough as dedicated music source?
Hello!

I decided to use a separate Mac as a dedicated music source for my Devialet 120. A MacMini headless is
no option for me. Need a display and a keyboard/trackpad all-in-one! ;-)

Since a local dealer has a special offer @EUR 800,00 for a

>> MacBook Air 1.40 GHz, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB

I ask myself I this has sufficient power? Or are there some limitations?

1. Connection to Devialet should be ETH (via. Thunderbolt-Gigabit-Ehternet-Adapter) or USB
2. Music is stored on external HDD to be connected via USB3 to MacBook Air.

This model has Tunderbolt 1.0 with max 10 GBit/s. Is this suffienct for high res music?

What about processor speed and RAM with respect to other future players instead of or along with iTunes?

Thank you for advice!

Kind regards

Knud
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
You should be fine.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
knud,

I have a MBA, 1.3 Haswell processor, 4 gig/ 128 gig, and it is completely fine in terms of speed. I don't think that the processor speed would have much effect on music replay. The 128 Gig of memory may not be enough, depending on your music collection, but you are using an external HDD so you have the storage space covered.

I understand that the USB connection from mac to Dev. is a great way to go, and an easy set up.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Hello!

Thank you for the replies! I've bought it today. I also think it will be fine. Next days I'm going to experiment with Devialet USB connection and AIR WIFI/ETH.

The most challenging part will surely be maintaining the iTunes Library remote from another Macbook. To my knowledge, it's not possible to for two separete itunes software instances to work properly on one physical iTunes media library.

Mayby the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder shared over the network will be a practicalble feature for this ...

Thx again,
Knud
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
(08-Apr-2015, 18:35)knud0 Wrote: Hello!

Thank you for the replies! I've bought it today. I also think it will be fine. Next days I'm going to experiment with Devialet USB connection and AIR WIFI/ETH.

The most challenging part will surely be maintaining the iTunes Library remote from another Macbook. To my knowledge, it's not possible to for two separete itunes software instances to work properly on one physical iTunes media library.

Mayby the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder shared over the network will be a practicalble feature for this ...

Thx again,
Knud

You have two ways to do this.

The simplest and safest is to use the sharing library feature of itunes.

A more risky solution but that works (I have been using it having two accounts sharing the same physical library by creating links in the second account to the itunes folders).
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France