Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red protection light on 200! Suggestions?
(18-Apr-2015, 12:16)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 12:13)ZincAlloy Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 11:36)ovo Wrote: In the spirit of being absolutely no real help at all I offer the following - when I had this problem last year I I tried hard reset ( unplug and plug IEC power connector ) : then hard reset without any input cables attached (apparently this is how to jolt the amp out of protection mode), and also with and without the SD card.None of these worked for me.

My dealer had to send it off to France, it returned 5 weeks later but with absolutely no explanation as to why the problem had occurred or how to avoid it happening again.

I'm sure that I saw somewhere that you should remove and insert the IEC power plug and only then switch on from your wall supply, rather than just introduce a live power plug to the back of the Devialet.
Thanks ovo - that was helpful, in that I've just tried this, with no positive result.  A 5 week turnaround time doesn't exactly excite me, I have to say.  But looks like I've no choice,

ATB, Ken

Hi Ken,

I doubt very much whether it would be a 5 week turnaround. Absolute Sounds in London are able to carry out some repairs. 

Have you spoken to Devialet/AS yet?

Guillaume
(18-Apr-2015, 12:16)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 12:13)ZincAlloy Wrote:
(18-Apr-2015, 11:36)ovo Wrote: In the spirit of being absolutely no real help at all I offer the following - when I had this problem last year I I tried hard reset ( unplug and plug IEC power connector ) : then hard reset without any input cables attached (apparently this is how to jolt the amp out of protection mode), and also with and without the SD card.None of these worked for me.

My dealer had to send it off to France, it returned 5 weeks later but with absolutely no explanation as to why the problem had occurred or how to avoid it happening again.

I'm sure that I saw somewhere that you should remove and insert the IEC power plug and only then switch on from your wall supply, rather than just introduce a live power plug to the back of the Devialet.
Thanks ovo - that was helpful, in that I've just tried this, with no positive result.  A 5 week turnaround time doesn't exactly excite me, I have to say.  But looks like I've no choice,

ATB, Ken

Hi Ken,

I doubt very much whether it would be a 5 week turnaround. Absolute Sounds in London are able to carry out some repairs. 

Guillaume
I did not contact Devialet, I'm looping through my dealer.
It seems to me that a number of owners experienced the same problem, That makes me think that this is a Devialet issue that concerns all owners.  I hope they communicate the fix(es) to all owners before they establish a well-earned reputation for unreliability.
 Note- In over 40-years of buying electronics, I have never had a failure of any component that did not have moving parts. So disappointing.
now, and Ken - were there any warning symptoms before the failure? From what I read above, it sounds as though it occurred while the units were in standby or switched off.

I ask because one of my 200s is emitting a slight but noticeable smell of burning epoxy resin (the "oops, that IC just exploded" smell...). It seems to be working fine at the moment but I must say I'm a bit worried about it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Apr-2015, 18:15)thumb5 Wrote: now, and Ken - were there any warning symptoms before the failure?  From what I read above, it sounds as though it occurred while the units were in standby or switched off.

I ask because one of my 200s is emitting a slight but noticeable smell of burning epoxy resin (the "oops, that IC just exploded" smell...).  It seems to be working fine at the moment but I must say I'm a bit worried about it.
Hi thumb5 - no, nothing untoward noticed in advance.   I had the unit powered off completely because I was away for a few days.  It wouldn't turn on - screen remained blank.  To be honest, it's the first device that's ever failed on me, so I'm actually quite relaxed about it.  Stastically, I've done pretty well! Will give me a good excuse to hide from wife and rediscover headphone listening from iPad.  Not as bad as you may think.  

ATB, Ken  
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
In my situation, I had no warning. The 200 was turned off. When I turned it on, it did not function and the LED only lit dimly with no visible letters.
Burning epoxy smell does not sound right at all. Is it overly hot? If you turn it off, does it work on turn-on?
Guillaume, You wrote:

"I doubt very much whether it would be a 5 week turnaround. Absolute Sounds in London are able to carry out some repairs.
Guillaume"

I only reported my experience, I assume you are not doubting that I was truthful? 

I have looked at my school atlas and it appears that I live approximately 200 miles from Paris.

It seems that nowhere in the Pacific North West of the United States is any nearer than this.

As you seem to have a fundamental closeness to Absolute Sounds and Devialet, perhaps you would be kind enough to ask them what was the reason for the problem which affected my D200?

Affectionately yours....
(18-Apr-2015, 19:51)ovo Wrote: Guillaume, You wrote:

"I doubt very much whether it would be a 5 week turnaround. Absolute Sounds in London are able to carry out some repairs.
Guillaume"

I only reported my experience, I assume you are not doubting that I was truthful? 

I have looked at my school atlas and it appears that I live approximately 200 miles from Paris.

It seems that nowhere in the Pacific North West of the United States is any nearer than this.members here.

As you seem to have a fundamental closeness to Absolute Sounds and Devialet, perhaps you would be kind enough to ask them what was the reason for the problem which affected my D200?

Affectionately yours....
Ovo,
 It seems that you are confusing repliers.  I'm Ken, living in the Pacific Northwest, the originator of this topic.  It seems that Guillaume lives in London where Absolute Sounds is.  I have no knowledge of nor any interactions with Absolute Sounds.  I'm working through my dealer, Matt, at Gig Harbor Audio in Gig Harbor, WA USA.
  Sure hope that they can solve my dead 200 issue soon.  So durn frustrating!
Not me Ken.

I dislike on principle the page-filling stacks of quotes, I was addressing my post to Guillome.

I'm sorry that you find yourself in this position, as I feel that Devialet are so devoted to their policy of onward ever onward that they have left their initial customers (and dealers?) in their wake.

I think that Guillaume may not have noticed where you live when he made his post.
(18-Apr-2015, 18:34)ZincAlloy Wrote: [Hi thumb5 - no, nothing untoward noticed in advance.   I had the unit powered off completely because I was away for a few days.  It wouldn't turn on - screen remained blank.  To be honest, it's the first device that's ever failed on me, so I'm actually quite relaxed about it.  Stastically, I've done pretty well! Will give me a good excuse to hide from wife and rediscover headphone listening from iPad.  Not as bad as you may think.  

ATB, Ken  

I admire your philosophical attitude Ken - not sure I would be so relaxed about it. Anyway, I hope you have a speedy repair.

Ian
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Apr-2015, 18:36)now Wrote: In my situation, I had no warning. The 200 was turned off. When I turned it on, it did not function and the LED only lit dimly with no visible letters.
 Burning epoxy smell does not sound right at all.  Is it overly hot? If you turn it off, does it work on turn-on?

No, it seems to be running at its normal temperature and there are no obvious external signs of trouble.  I haven't tried turning it off fully - I do wish they had a proper mains on/off switch! - but it goes into standby and comes out again as normal.

I might be worrying about nothing, but it's hard to ignore once you know it's there...

As I said to (the other) Ken, I hope your repair is sorted out quickly.
Warwickshire, UK