Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR - Wifi vs ETH
Anyone using AIR via Wifi throughout the entire chain; ie. PC/MAC->wifi->Router->wifi->Devialet? Is there any difference if Devialet is wired to router?

And, on my example above, will the router brand make any difference in sound quality?

Since yesterday, I had a TP-Link WDR-4900 replacing my switch and placed just underneath my D200. Its Wifi connection is full bar. My Mac Mini is connected wirelessly to another router in the house. Does this mean, signal will be routed around the house's Ethernet cabling before reaching WDR-4900 and then to my D200?

Just trying to explore all wireless options and see if there's any difference in sound quality. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

My initial impression is that now my system has a wider soundstage, bass clearer & sharper, vocals clearer and this is only standard Spotify music quality streaming to it.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Just check Devialet's website and found this:

Either your Devialet and your computer are connected to your network through Wi-Fi or through Ethernet, AIR is using the exact same protocol. In both cases, you will benefit from all exclusive features of the Asynchronous Intelligent Route.

So, I guess there's no difference between Wifi or Ethernet. And, I'm sure with Ethernet, signal should be better. Back to more music listening again. Big Grin

(13-Apr-2015, 04:32)hk6230 Wrote: Just check Devialet's website and found this:

Either your Devialet and your computer are connected to your network through Wi-Fi or through Ethernet,  AIR is using the exact same protocol. In both cases, you will benefit from all exclusive features of the Asynchronous Intelligent Route.

So, I guess there's no difference between Wifi or Ethernet. And, I'm sure with Ethernet, signal should be better. Back to more music listening again. Big Grin

The only possible difference is that Eth being an electrical connection can transmit some EMI and other noise between devices which an optical or a wireless connection would not.

This being said, I'm of the opinion (and have never been to experience the contrary) that we are below what can be heard (but again this is with my ears, my system and even more importantly my brain which seams to be the least trustable measure instrument when it comes to hearing).
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I use all WiFi (Mac to router and router to devialet) and never bothered to try ethernet as WiFi works well in my system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I always find it seems to sound quite different with wi-fi vs ethernet! It's nuts I know. I guess there's different circuitry in use in the Devialet, and different types of of EM noise being generated.
(13-Apr-2015, 11:01)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I always find it seems to sound quite different with wi-fi vs ethernet! It's nuts I know. I guess there's different circuitry in use in the Devialet, and different types of of EM noise being generated.

So you meant you do hear differences between ETH and Wi-Fi?

P.S. So far my Wifi is working great. One addition component I added is Xiaomi AC Router (with 1TB int. harddisk) which supports up to 1167kbps wireless speed.

(13-Apr-2015, 10:29)amabrok Wrote: I use all WiFi (Mac to router and router to devialet) and never bothered to try ethernet as WiFi works well in my system

Yeah, mine is completely wifi, too. It's wonderful to be able to have this complete wifi experience. Big Grin

(13-Apr-2015, 11:38)hk6230 Wrote:
(13-Apr-2015, 10:29)amabrok Wrote: I use all WiFi (Mac to router and router to devialet) and never bothered to try ethernet as WiFi works well in my system

Yeah, mine is completely wifi, too. It's wonderful to be able to have this complete wifi experience. Big Grin

Actually your setup has 2 routers and a lot of ethernet cabling between your source and devialet. try to position your mac mini so that it connects to the TP-Link to see if you hear any difference in sound.

In my experience, when I was using AIR, even the power cable on the router made a difference, let alone the ethernet cable.

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(14-Apr-2015, 20:22)Kunter Wrote:
(13-Apr-2015, 11:38)hk6230 Wrote:

Actually your setup has 2 routers and a lot of ethernet cabling between your source and devialet. try to position your mac mini so that it connects to the TP-Link to see if you hear any difference in sound.

In my experience, when I was using AIR, even the power cable on the router made a difference, let alone the ethernet cable.

Cheers

I'd tried connecting my Mac to the same router as my D200, couldn't notice any major difference. As for the power supply to the router, I may test out later with an ultra-low noise power adapter and see if I can hear any difference.