Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antipodes DX alternative to AIR
After many months of trying to get AIR to work, I've given up with it as my exclusive source.

Dealing with Devialet over the last 6 months has reminded me of that original Linn strap line "garbage in, garbage out" - except in the case of the customer/devialet information flow it seems to be "100% in, 0% out".

Finding a front end which does what a MacBookPro and AIR do is quite restrictive if one wants a single unit containing a ripper, storage (in SSD form), power supply, simplicity of operation, ease of transition, and simple looks.

The contenders for front ends include Melco, Aurender, Auralic, TotalDac: but none of these fulfils all my requirements - and although the Aria does I find it ugly! My prejudices prevent me from trying Linn or Naim, so that just leaves Antipodes (as far as I know) in terms of established manufacturers.

Anyway, I got one direct from Mark Jenkins, the CEO, in new Zealand, on a 60 day sale or return basis.

Mark managed my file transfer from iTunes by Teamviewer software as I slept overnight - which got all my 600 CDs on to the Antipodes - at some stage I will try the ripper - though for all my CDs this would be a long job. The Supersync software ensures that any future changes to one database are reflected in the other database too.

Early days to give a full review of the sound, but I can say at this early stage that I enjoy the Antipodes just as much as I enjoy AIR when white noise free. 

Aaron, who pointed me to the Antipodes, feels that it beats AIR in some respects.

It may well not be the best device (I don't know) but it is a great bit of kit combining good sound with ease of operation, a bit like the Devialet.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Congrats. You got support from the Man himself - this is Fantastic!

I like the Antipode product. BTW, which Antipode model you have now?
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(14-Apr-2015, 18:57)Jnan_devi Wrote: Congrats. You got support from the Man himself - this is Fantastic!

The title of the thread is "Antipodes DX".  There is a clue to the model here I think!
I think I made this all confusing with my Antipodes DXe/DV thread. Ian has the DX, the top of the line. I owned a DXe, which was the old name for the current DV. I have since upgraded my DXe to the DV ZERO -- which is the DV without an internal hard drive that is made to work with a NAS. I'm very glad it's working out for Ian, although I also wish he hadn't had to find a solution to a problem that already should be solved!
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(14-Apr-2015, 19:46)Confused Wrote:
(14-Apr-2015, 18:57)Jnan_devi Wrote: Congrats. You got support from the Man himself - this is Fantastic!

The title of the thread is "Antipodes DX".  There is a clue to the model here I think!

Tongue ... yes should have read carefully!
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"