Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power cables
Hi,

In the usual hifi way I feel the need to tweak for no good reason. I'd like to change the power cable (being the only tweakable accessory) but that access area looks very narrow.

Has anyone had any success with changing the power cable and can wattgate plugs fit?

Thanks.

Daryll
Yeah I am using my own custom cable with UK plug. Not much you can tweak apart from that.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
Thanks, but what kind of IEC plug are you using? My concern is that the more bulbous ones (like wattgate) won't fit.

And did you hear *any* difference in sound with your custom?
Just using normal IEC type plugs. Wattgate might fit if you don't use ethernet or optical. I don't have a wattgate cable to try. Probably someone else can attest. Bass is tighter after switching to my custom cable.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(15-Apr-2015, 01:38)brighty Wrote: Hi,

In the usual hifi way I feel the need to tweak for no good reason.  I'd like to change the power cable (being the only tweakable accessory) but that access area looks very narrow.

Thanks.

Daryll

Not every cable can be connected to the Phantom, but if possible, with good power cable sound quality my Phantom Silver is realy level up! I tested 3 power cables -  HMS Energial SL, Cerious Nano Signature, NBS Black Label . Even with the simplest HMS - sound better, but not enough to talk about the i need.. With NBS Black Label - sound is realy level up! but... its price tag  Rolleyes  
Now Phantom playing on Cerious Nano Power Cable - better then HMS and sound character reminiscent of the NBS (not the amount the sound, just a little less detail, less control bass)..
I use viard mains cables throughout my system. To ensure the "lids" will close on my D400's, I use a slim 3 pin connector. Wattgates or similar wont fit as they are too large
Hi Folks, my first post after getting a D200 then realising that I needed a D400. Just prior to my upgrade I trialed several mains cables loaned by Paul at HiFi Lounge. From low price to high, they were - MusicWorks, Isol 8, Chord Signature and Sarum. Lining up just a couple of tracks from my Ripnas Statement feeding Linn Sneaky DS and with a Chord Anthem tuned aray digital cable into the D200 DAC the progression of clarity reflected the price of the cables. From memory from around £90 to £1600 at the lengths I required. A favourite Leonard Cohen track played using the Sarum was as if he was standing in front of me. I can thoroughly recommend this cable, which you may be interested to know was fitted with an IEC that allowed the rear cover to be in place. Cost of this cable is the biggest hurdle as I would need three with the DS and D400. Browsing as you do and partly because I possess an Isotek cable, I came across Mains Cables r Us (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/6-mains-cables-) and a special offer on two Isotek GII Optimum cables at 2.0m length. Reading this forum had given me a reference to a Furutech IEC, the F15E which is slightly smaller than the F15. So with some kind assistance from David Brook the cables were purchased and the slim IEC's fitted. They are superb and I am now hearing more detail, pace and involvement with the music. An upgrade to Chord Signature Reference speaker cables has undoubtedly helped as well.

I am now turning my thoughts to an upgraded tonearm cable for my Project turntable and have been reading on other forums about Yannis Tome. So will be intriguing to try one of his suggestions. http://www.back-promo.co.uk/