Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guillaume's hi-fi system
Very nice setup Guillaume, I've often wondered what it would be like and now I see you've had pictures all along! Although youve framed out the hero stack in the latest ones, but I don't recognise the other boxes and don't see anything that looks like a totalDac?

I'm very jealous of anyone with a dedicated and/or purpose built room. Music has always been part of my everyday life so a lounge system suits my lifestyle, but it would be so nice to just be able to know you're getting the best from the setup, and a lounge is far from good for that (mine anyway).

Is it used much for TV/movies?

And what are the little doodads in the plug socket on the right?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-Mar-2016, 14:54)GuillaumeB Wrote: I've just realised that I haven't updated this in ages.... and it's hopelessly out of date... well almost!

I expect to receive the Original d'Atelier any day now; I understand these shipped late last week. In the meantime I am running Oxford Audio's machine and what a fine thing it is. I have to admit that I am not tiring of its sound, or even getting used to it! Each time I sit down to listen to some music I am wowed as though it were the first time. There is something palpable about the sound, the midrange textures have more weight, instrument timbres seem more realistic, vocals are more holographic with more "air" around them. The 3d soundstage seems better proportioned. There is something just much more "right" about the sound. It really draws you in, each time. In my mind it is a big improvement over the 800 - say 20% or something, perhaps even more. 

I do have a small confession to make however. A few weeks ago I took possession of a pair of Transparent XL speakers cables, yes the new Gen 5 ones. I had been lusting after a pair ever since I demoed them at Absolute Sounds, and those were the Gen 4 ones! The Gen 5 XL effectively replaces the old XL and MM2 (now that the range has been somewhat simplified) and is the last step before Opus, in fact many consider them to be equal if not a bit better than the Gen 4 Opus. The XLs I have have been "calibrated" to match the impedances of the O d'A and Sasha2.

I first ran the XLs with my 800s. Straight out of the box they seemed calmer, almost quieter than my Sarums. Then I began hearing and feeling textures I hadn't before experienced on familiar pieces of music. On tracks that had previously seemed a bit bright and fatiguing I could now relax and really enjoy the music. In fact it was only once I had the XLs in my system that I realised the shortcomings of the Sarum, and for a long time I had thought Sarum was a fantastic speaker cable, in fact I still do! But whereas Sarum had a tendency to overwhelm the room with energy by giving you more of everything (often a good thing), the XLs just seem calmer and more balanced/poised/natural and as such let you hear more into the music including some midrange and bass detail I hadn't before heard.

Since replacing the 800 with Jon's O d'A things have gone to an altogether new level and the crazy thing is that they are still improving. Last night I had a wow moment whilst streaming from Qobuz. I had simply never heard anything quite like it, and this was streaming CD-quality material from the internet, something I have always been a bit dismissive about! Goosebumps, elation... you name it!

I should say that some time ago I invested in a Paul Pang "audiophile" switch which I partnered with an iFi iPower power supply. This is positioned close to the hifi rack and led to some noticeable improvements, particularly when streaming from Qobuz (don't ask me why!). The combo wasn't crazy money and I would heartily recommend to anyone looking to squeeze a bit more performance out of their ethernet network.

Last but not least I have become a complete convert to decoupling, and actually was quite late to the party in this regard. I now have 3 Ansuz Diamonds under each Devialet unit and have transferred my Ceramics to the Totaldac streamer. When Alasdair last visited with the loaner O d'A I carried out the Ansuz test, ok it wasn't a blind test or anything but the impact was sufficient to have Alasdair stare at me in utter disbelief. In my setup it makes a ridiculous improvement, certainly more than most tweaks I have carried out over the years. Could it be that the glass shelves in my rack transfer so much airborne and ground vibrations to the units? Who knows? Close proximity of my right hand side speaker to the hifi rack? I couldn't tell you. 

Pictures to follow...

Guillaume

Hey Guillaume, amazing setup. I'm curious to know what if any other speakers you auditioned before settling on the Sasha's? I auditioned these plus a pair of Magico s5's and although they sounded verity different, they both bought a lot to the music..
Qobuz, Audirvana Plus, Mac Mini, Original d'Atelier #56, Wilson Sasha II's, PS Audio P10 Powerplant, Transparent Ref XL MM2 speaker cables, Transparent Ref power cables,  Audioquest Diamond Ethernet
(29-Mar-2016, 19:14)samurai7595 Wrote: Hi Guillaume, how would you describe the sound of the Transparent speaker cables?

I don't know if they really have a sound. Compared to the Sarums they just seem to get out of the way. Supremely natural and very quiet, I guess you could say they are a bit dark?! They are definitely still improving. Seem to be a perfect complement to the Devialets. They are very detailed and very musical, seemingly managing this usually difficult combo with ease. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(29-Mar-2016, 22:50)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Very nice setup Guillaume, I've often wondered what it would be like and now I see you've had pictures all along!  Although youve framed out the hero stack in the latest ones, but I don't recognise the other boxes and don't see anything that looks like a totalDac?

I'm very jealous of anyone with a dedicated and/or purpose built room. Music has always been part of my everyday life so a lounge system suits my lifestyle, but it would be so nice to just be able to know you're getting the best from the setup, and a lounge is far from good for that (mine anyway).

Is it used much for TV/movies?

And what are the little doodads in the plug socket on the right?

Cheers!  Smile

The totaldac sits to the right on another smaller rack. Will take another pic to show this. Don't watch too much TV in here although have a subscription to Lovefilm so watch on average a movie a week with the Mrs. The thingies on the sockets are cable ties that I haven't got round to removing! Well spotted! 

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(29-Mar-2016, 23:26)dbilling64 Wrote: Hey Guillaume, amazing setup. I'm curious to know what if any other speakers you auditioned before settling on the Sasha's? I auditioned these plus a pair of Magico s5's and although they sounded verity different, they both bought a lot to the music..

I'm ashamed to say I didn't! I came from the Sophia 3 and was looking for more of the Wilson sound that I love. My local dealer was happy to oblige with an extended home demo, you know what happened next!  Tongue

I have to say I have been very impressed by Magico speakers so I suppose I could easily have swung that way. As you say a very different sound...

Guillaume

UK
A couple of picks showing the totaldac and power supply sitting on a separate rack...

Guillaume

UK
(29-Mar-2016, 18:35)GuillaumeB Wrote: Some pictures...
Guillaume

Wahoo ! Beautiful installation !
Sure you will enjoy your new machine !
Best wishes !
I must admit I love the look of this system. I know there is much debate about the benefit of cables, ceramic isolation footers etc., but here is a system that appears to cover everything anyone might think of. (Edit - except perhaps room correction, just though of that one) So if it makes a difference, however small, it's there. If nothing else this must provide enormous piece of mind and satisfaction, thus leading to the "just enjoy the music" mode we all strive for.

Adding to the general interrogation here, you can hardly miss the centre speaker in the pics, I presume this is non Devialet powered? Have you ever considered picking up an old D-premier or similar to provide a bit of synergy with the O d'A's? (Feel free to ignore this, just being slightly mischievous!)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Mar-2016, 13:03)Confused Wrote: I must admit I love the look of this system.  I know there is much debate about the benefit of cables, ceramic isolation footers etc., but here is a system that appears to cover everything anyone might think of.  (Edit - except perhaps room correction, just though of that one)  So if it makes a difference, however small, it's there.  If nothing else this must provide enormous piece of mind and satisfaction, thus leading to the "just enjoy the music" mode we all strive for.

Adding to the general interrogation here, you can hardly miss the centre speaker in the pics, I presume this is non Devialet powered?  Have you ever considered picking up an old D-premier or similar to provide a bit of synergy with the O d'A's?  (Feel free to ignore this, just being slightly mischievous!)

Thanks Confused! 

Actually there are GIK acoustic panels in the front corners and a couple of free standing bass traps at the back behind the listening position, when I had the Trinnov Amethyst on extended home dem what I found was that my room was pretty good and didn't need a huge amount of correction. Active room correction was an option I explored for a while trying first of all Dirac and then of course the Trinnov solution.

I suppose my mantra in all of this is "everything matters". If a tweak only has 0.2% effect, it doesn't really matter I am looking for the sum total of dozens of these tweaks, if that makes sense. I also find that the more tweaks I add to the system the more responsive it becomes to further tweaks. I realise it may seem a bit bonkers to some but I can assure you I derive great pleasure from this audiophile obsession and believe it or not there is still plenty to do! Sad Next on my list are some Stillpoints Ultra5s for my Sashas. These will have the added benefit of making the repositioning of my speakers much easier; at the moment it is literally backbreaking work! Since swapping my speaker cables a lot of that high frequency energy is gone meaning I can now toe them in a bit more so that the tweaters are pointing at me, which is how Wilson recommend setting them up anyway. Also the O d'A has a slightly different presentation which I want to fully exploit through better speaker positioning.

The centre speaker (a SF Cremona M) is powered by a Linn Klimax Solo, a remnant of my Linn past. I have considered replacing it a few times but actually the SQ of the Linn is pretty damn good so I am loath to sell it and take a 50% hit on value. But you are right, it would certainly make sense to have another 250 powering the centre speaker. Even a D-Premier would do the job admirably and I could even connect it to my ADA processor via HDMI (shock horror!!). 

Cheers

Guillaume

UK
I also like the comment " When Alasdair last visited with the loaner O d'A I carried out the Ansuz test, ok it wasn't a blind test or anything but the impact was sufficient to have Alasdair stare at me in utter disbelief. In my setup it makes a ridiculous improvement, certainly more than most tweaks I have carried out over the years. Could it be that the glass shelves in my rack transfer so much airborne and ground vibrations to the units? Who knows? Close proximity of my right hand side speaker to the hifi rack? I couldn't tell you. "

I too suffer from a right hand speaker / hifi rack proximity situation, which is even worse with the KEF Blade and side mounted multiple bass drivers, so not ideal. As to Alasdair's 'utter disbelief' stare, I too have seen this, but it was not strictly related to hifi matters at the time.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12