Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet - feedback and more
(20-Apr-2015, 13:46)Womaz Wrote: IanG-UK

Ian once again thank you for all the work you did to bring this to their attention.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got the beta version and the white noise still occurred. I has happened on each of the three times I have used it since.
For me what appears to solve it is having my laptop closer to the Router. So far everytime I have done this I have had no issues. This has nothing to do with the beta version though as I was still running 2.13 then.

Steve

Well, if "For me what appears to solve it is having my laptop closer to the Router. So far everytime I have done this I have had no issues" then, imho, this is a very clear (empirical) indication that it is the bandwidth that your AIR connection is able to establish. The further away, the more narrow the bandwidth and the less reliable the connection.

I notice the occasional problem when using AIR ethernet and a low buffer setting. This can always be resolved by increasing the buffer and/or stopping some errand process on my computer that used too much bandwidth of the FSB.
(19-Apr-2015, 19:29)IanG-UK Wrote: Thanks to everyone who replied to the threads and to the polls.

I fed the results back to Devialet just over a week ago, and was pretty annoyed not to get a reply, so I chased by email today. And I suggested they had taken their eye off the ball and were more interested in Phantom, Dialog, Spark and future products than in Expert, where support appeared to have been curtailed.

Results! I got a reply from one of the founders - and I got it today (Sunday!) - which is encouraging.

As some users will know, there is a beta release of AIR for Windows which Devialet appear to be pretty positive about. They have found the source of the white noise problem - part of the deeper workings of the Windows operating system, but seemingly fixable with a workaround in AIR. Subject to users finding this to be fault free, it looks like the Windows white noise issue may have been resolved.

The piece of software managing the audio sample on both Windows and Mac computers is, apparently, the same, but they know that the precise Windows fix will not work for Mac; but they know where the bug is as part of the Mac OS. They are continuing working on this right now.

Encouragingly, the founder's email said they are dedicated to high end audio, are continuing to invest time, money and brains into the Expert line ("as will be seen at the May Munich show"), and that the Phantom development will not slow Expert development but that the additional resources will create greater innovation opportunities.

Quite encouraging after what seems to have been a communications drought from them over the past few months. I lot of our frustrations could have been reduced had they been more forthcoming with progress reports, so hopefully they will learn from these mistakes.

I did say to them that we users expect them to be as good with fault solutions after 4 years as Rolls Royce Motors are after 111 years - but that that is one of the delights of launching an incredibly innovative and successful company!

Ian

Hi Ian - thanks for flying the flag for us Expert users. I admire and appreciate your persistence, which is to the benefit of us all.  I'm looking forward the May announcements, and hopefully getting my Dialig working with my D200.  Feeling rather positive, I must say!

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(19-Apr-2015, 19:29)IanG-UK Wrote: Thanks to everyone who replied to the threads and to the polls.

I fed the results back to Devialet just over a week ago, and was pretty annoyed not to get a reply, so I chased by email today. And I suggested they had taken their eye off the ball and were more interested in Phantom, Dialog, Spark and future products than in Expert, where support appeared to have been curtailed.

Results! I got a reply from one of the founders - and I got it today (Sunday!) - which is encouraging.

As some users will know, there is a beta release of AIR for Windows which Devialet appear to be pretty positive about. They have found the source of the white noise problem - part of the deeper workings of the Windows operating system, but seemingly fixable with a workaround in AIR. Subject to users finding this to be fault free, it looks like the Windows white noise issue may have been resolved.

The piece of software managing the audio sample on both Windows and Mac computers is, apparently, the same, but they know that the precise Windows fix will not work for Mac; but they know where the bug is as part of the Mac OS. They are continuing working on this right now.

Encouragingly, the founder's email said they are dedicated to high end audio, are continuing to invest time, money and brains into the Expert line ("as will be seen at the May Munich show"), and that the Phantom development will not slow Expert development but that the additional resources will create greater innovation opportunities.

Quite encouraging after what seems to have been a communications drought from them over the past few months. I lot of our frustrations could have been reduced had they been more forthcoming with progress reports, so hopefully they will learn from these mistakes.

I did say to them that we users expect them to be as good with fault solutions after 4 years as Rolls Royce Motors are after 111 years - but that that is one of the delights of launching an incredibly innovative and successful company!

Ian

Great. Finally a statement from Devialet regarding the expert range. I'm beginning to feel somewhat excited for the May firmware(?) update.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(20-Apr-2015, 15:35)Mohmm Wrote:
(20-Apr-2015, 13:46)Womaz Wrote: IanG-UK

Ian once again thank you for all the work you did to bring this to their attention.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got the beta version and the white noise still occurred. I has happened on each of the three times I have used it since.
For me what appears to solve it is having my laptop closer to the Router. So far everytime I have done this I have had no issues. This has nothing to do with the beta version though as I was still running 2.13 then.

Steve

Well, if "For me what appears to solve it is having my laptop closer to the Router. So far everytime I have done this I have had no issues" then, imho, this is a very clear (empirical) indication that it is the bandwidth that your AIR connection is able to establish. The further away, the more narrow the bandwidth and the less reliable the connection.

I notice the occasional problem when using AIR ethernet and a low buffer setting. This can always be resolved by increasing the buffer and/or stopping some errand process on my computer that used too much bandwidth of the FSB.
I completely agree, its all about the bandwidth and the buffer setting! at least I followed Devialets support suggestions and there is no crackling noise any more in my environment for some weeks now... I am enjoyoing so much my music and maybe we should all do this more often as we are complaining on the highest possible level...
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(20-Apr-2015, 18:48)Eddye Wrote:
(19-Apr-2015, 19:29)IanG-UK Wrote: There is a beta release of AIR for Windows which Devialet appear to be pretty positive about. They have found the source of the white noise problem - part of the deeper workings of the Windows operating system, but seemingly fixable with a workaround in AIR. 
Ian, do you have more detail? I'm really curious about the root cause of this issue.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
I too still get the white noise issue with the new beta. I also used the same network and connection for 4 years with a Linn Akurate streamer and never had any dropouts even on high res files, so I don't think my network is at fault.
(21-Apr-2015, 01:21)AlexS Wrote:
(19-Apr-2015, 19:29)IanG-UK Wrote: There is a beta release of AIR for Windows which Devialet appear to be pretty positive about. They have found the source of the white noise problem - part of the deeper workings of the Windows operating system, but seemingly fixable with a workaround in AIR. 
Ian, do you have more detail? I'm really curious about the root cause of this issue.

As the founder's email didn't indicate this was public information, I feel I cannot reproduce it in full.

Devialet do seem to be very sensitive about communication and having got at least the start of a constructive response from them after many months, I don't want to risk jeopardising that. This may be over-reaction on my part - if so, apologies.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(21-Apr-2015, 11:05)IanG-UK Wrote:
(21-Apr-2015, 01:21)AlexS Wrote:

As the founder's email didn't indicate this was public information, I feel I cannot reproduce it in full.

Devialet do seem to be very sensitive about communication and having got at least the start of a constructive response from them after many months, I don't want to risk jeopardising that. This may be over-reaction on my part - if so, apologies.

Makes sense Ian. And it is honorable as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I too think Ian is right not to share information unless the author has provided specific advice that such data can be shared. I can think of some correspondence I have written recently that I would not want to see on an internet forum. Having said that, I share Eddye’s curiosity as to what specifically Windows is doing to upset AIR. After all, not everyone with a Windows set up gets the white noise issue, so perhaps the answer is not workarounds in AIR, but to tweak Windows to stop it upsetting AIR. I am quite sure that if Devialet were more open to sharing data like this, then the more computer savvy members on forums like this could probably solve the problem themselves.
(21-Apr-2015, 13:04)Confused Wrote: I too think Ian is right not to share information unless the author has provided specific advice that such data can be shared.  I can think of some correspondence I have written recently that I would not want to see on an internet forum.  Having said that, I share Eddye’s curiosity as to what specifically Windows is doing to upset AIR.  After all, not everyone with a Windows set up gets the white noise issue, so perhaps the answer is not workarounds in AIR, but to tweak Windows to stop it upsetting AIR.  I am quite sure that if Devialet were more open to sharing data like this, then the more computer savvy members on forums like this could probably solve the problem themselves.

I was misquoted, I think. AlexS asked about the root cause Wink
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands