Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(06-Jul-2014, 11:01)Confused Wrote: I have just experienced the issue again. Running mainly iTunes, but occasionally switching to Jriver, all was fine for about 4 hours. Then the white noise issue. Disabling then enabling AIR, all was ok for 30 minutes, then white noise. Doing the same thing again, all was ok again for only 30 minutes, this time with the mixture of white nose and music.

So I think I am seeing a pattern, from a cold start up of the PC, you can get a long session, I have done this twice recently. After this, maybe only 30 minutes. The pattern can be different if you multi task on the PC. I'll keep watching this!

Were you playing iTunes or Jriver, when the problem happened? I believe iTunes on Windows is NOT bit perfect (not using WASAPI). So, you have to manually set the format in AIR (that is, if you play something other than your default format).
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
iTunes, with "windows audio session" enabled. I always have WASAPI enabled in AIR.
Using JRiver MC19 on Windows 8.1 I have never experienced the white noise issues described using the latest firmware/AIR versions.

Using AIR, iTunes on Windows is bit-perfect. iTunes is then only used as a library browser. When you use USB you can select 'windows audio session' as bit-perfect output but then you have to configure a default output bit-rate/sampling rate so will lose bit-perfect playback when your source has different bit-rate/sampling freq.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Jul-2014, 16:32)Antoine Wrote: Using JRiver MC19 on Windows 8.1 I have never experienced the white noise issues described using the latest firmware/AIR versions.

Using AIR, iTunes on Windows is bit-perfect. iTunes is then only used as a library browser. When you use USB you can select 'windows audio session' as bit-perfect output but then you have to configure a default output bit-rate/sampling rate so will lose bit-perfect playback when your source has different bit-rate/sampling freq.

Good to find a user for which everthing works fine! Are you using the USB input? Or hard wired Ethernet or AIR / wireless? (my issues are when using Ethernet) Have you had music running for a significant time, say 3 to 5 hours or more?
I'm using a direct, wired ethernet connection between the playback PC and the Devialet. The AIR buffer is set to 100ms, WASAPI bit-perfect enabled. The buffer settings of JRiver are kept at the default settings (100ms buffering and 6 seconds pre-buffering). I play from memory and removed the tick at 'do not play silence (leading and trailing)'. Volume mode is disabled and I use exclusive access WASAPI (event-style). Bitdepth is set to 'Automatic'. DSP Studio is disabled/no options in DSP Studio are enabled.

Maximum duration of a playback session has been at most three hours. I put my Devialet in power-standby after a listening session but the playback machine/PC (running AIR and JRiver) is 24/7 active.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Jul-2014, 19:28)Antoine Wrote: I'm using a direct, wired ethernet connection between the playback PC and the Devialet. The AIR buffer is set to 100ms, WASAPI bit-perfect enabled. The buffer settings of JRiver are kept at the default settings (100ms buffering and 6 seconds pre-buffering). I play from memory and removed the tick at 'do not play silence (leading and trailing)'. Volume mode is disabled and I use exclusive access WASAPI (event-style). Bitdepth is set to 'Automatic'. DSP Studio is disabled/no options in DSP Studio are enabled.

Maximum duration of a playback session has been at most three hours. I put my Devialet in power-standby after a listening session but the playback machine/PC (running AIR and JRiver) is 24/7 active.
Good, clear information. Thanks! One point, I am finding that I too can run without issues for about 3 hours. It is at maybe 3 to 4 hours that the problem first happens. Perhaps you would be kind enough to try a slightly longer session next time? The problem may be PC specific, something unexpected, who knows, but the more information we can get, the more chance of solving this one.
Antoine, two questions:
1) Do you ever play 24 bit/ 192kHz music?
2) Does playing from memory (which I understand makes the player load the whole file into RAM before playing it) cause any issues with gapless playback (meaning increased gaps between tracks due to the player's need to buffer the next track in its entirety)?

Brian, it's interesting that Antoine's AIR buffer is so short (100 ms). I've never gone outside the 1s - 2s range. Perhaps, a short buffer length is worth trying, although it may seem counter-intuitive. That being said, I've not had this issue for 3 weeks now. And all I do is to make sure I quit AIR priror to putting Windows to sleep. I mostly play 16/44, though, and plan to get rid of the few 24/192 recordings I have (huge size and no better sound quality, to my ears).
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
(10-Jul-2014, 21:41)AlexS Wrote: Brian, it's interesting that Antoine's AIR buffer is so short (100 ms). I've never gone outside the 1s - 2s range. Perhaps, a short buffer length is worth trying, although it may seem counter-intuitive. That being said, I've not had this issue for 3 weeks now. And all I do is to make sure I quit AIR priror to putting Windows to sleep. I mostly play 16/44, though, and plan to get rid of the few 24/192 recordings I have (huge size and no better sound quality, to my ears).

I think I'll try the short buffer and, if the problem happens again, the "full" shut down and restart of AIR you suggested earlier. This will make sense eventually!
@Confused, I am, what I think you could call an 'active listener' meaning I really sit down to listen to music and do nothing/little else. I mean I never have music playing on my main set as background music so that's why my listening sessions aren't usually that long (>3H). But I could of course instruct set the Devialet to play music and come back after some hours to see if everything still works OK. If I come to it I'll report back.

@AlexS,

1. Yes I do. But I don't have a lot of music in that format (or 16/48 or 24/96 for that matter) and it is "mixed in" with my regular 16/44.1 CD rips.
2. The memory playback has no effect on gapless playback. This keeps working flawlessly. I'm not sure if JRiver loads the next track 100% into memory while the first is still playing or seamlessly appends it in the 'bitstream' while loading the file completely in memory but I suspect the latter method is used (first filling the 6s. prebuffer).

The Netherlands
@Antoine - Understood! I too have the occasional "serious" listening session, but no, I couldn't do it over 3 hours! However, if you could run a 4 hours "background music" session without problems, this would provide useful information. Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Also, I am intrigued by your use of the memory playback option. I can see the logic in using this, and will certainly be giving this a try at the weekend. Thanks for the tip!

I was also thinking of trying Foobar2000, but almost everyone on this forum appears to be running Jriver, and happy with it I'm wondering if trying Foobar would be just be a waste of time?