Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(23-Jul-2014, 08:40)Chris Marshall Wrote: I didn't notice at the time but does it happen when a new track starts, or partway through?

Part way through.
First time today. Started after one hour playing. I use the latest Jriver and Air on Win2012r2.
The audio-server is a dedicated machine with a stripped OS (tx Audiophil) so only a limited number of services are running. It is connected over a switch to the Devialet 200.
I won't be using Ethernet direct to the Devialet in the near future. I had several instances of this happening, most notably when changeing from 16/44 to a HiRes track. The noise is exacerbated in my case because I am using Acourate room correction software which is dropping about 13dB from the level of the music. As a result, the Devialet is playing 13dB louder than the apparent loudness of the music, so that when this noise appears it can be fearsomely loud.
As a result I have to replace the bass driver of one of my speakers which started to make a buzzing noise during certain tracks after the last noise freak-out.
When I play tracks from my NAS via ethernet into the Moon Mind 180D and then via AES/EBU cable to the Devialet, there is never a problem. Unfortunately I then have to use the Moon control point which is primitive compared to JRemote.
Roon Lifetime, HQPlayer with Acourate RC,Devialet 220 Pro,Synology NAS,AcourateNAS, MinimServer,Moon Mind 180 AES/EBU currently w. Canare Cable,W7 PC JRiver 20, AcouratePro, 15' Belkin USB. Linn LP12,Cetech,OL1,Denon 103R,VAF Signature i66 Mk.11,VAF Gravitas SW
Sorry to hear that happened to you. It's been a fear of mine as well. How come you don't use usb instead? I haven't had any issues with usb.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(24-Jul-2014, 12:44)pete86 Wrote: Sorry to hear that happened to you. It's been a fear of mine as well. How come you don't use usb instead? I haven't had any issues with usb.

For me it is quite simple, my computer is over 6 metres away from the Devialet. I would need an 8 to 10 metre long USB cable to connect and very long USB cables are not a good idea. I could move the PC next to the Devialet, but then a rather large desk would be in front of one of my speakers .....

It is interesting that USB works though, perhaps some of the more IT litterate types on here could work out what is different between AIR / USB and AIR Ethernet. This might give a clue to where the issue is?
(24-Jul-2014, 12:44)pete86 Wrote: Sorry to hear that happened to you. It's been a fear of mine as well. How come you don't use usb instead? I haven't had any issues with usb.

Good question. My computer is in another room but I do have a 5 metre USB cable running under the house to connect with the Devialet. The trouble with that is that J River MC 19 will stop after 30 minutes to as much as 2 hours later. If I am running the convolver with the Acourate room correction filter it will stop even more often. I'll be trying JRiver with the already filtered music files stored on my NAS via USB soon. I'm so paranoid at the moment that I won't even try ethernet direct to the Devialet unless I connect older speakers.
I also suspect that ethernet sounds a little better, but I'll get a couple of friends in for a single blind trial to check my impression.
Roon Lifetime, HQPlayer with Acourate RC,Devialet 220 Pro,Synology NAS,AcourateNAS, MinimServer,Moon Mind 180 AES/EBU currently w. Canare Cable,W7 PC JRiver 20, AcouratePro, 15' Belkin USB. Linn LP12,Cetech,OL1,Denon 103R,VAF Signature i66 Mk.11,VAF Gravitas SW
Hello,

Today, the dreaded white noise syndrome occurred two times. It happened both times after I changed something to the running playlist. Once when resuming after pausing the music, and once when selecting a new album. Is this a coincidence or has anyone the same experience ?

Does someone knows if Devialet is working on this issue ? If they know how to reproduce the problem, we can stop with incident reports Smile.

Tx,

Joris
I for one will be will be collating all the experiences from this forum and sending a query to Devialet. They know about the issue, @AlexS has corresponded with then on the subject.

OK - Job done, I have sent a query to Devialet. I'll report back......
I sent them a message earlier today. No response yet.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Has anyone ever used the internal brown noise generator? If so, does the noise sound the same as this noise? I just noticed this option in the configurator, beneath the WiFi section, but haven't had a chance to try it out.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps