Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loud cracking and rumbling
ive got a weird issue come up with my amps.

on either of the two sources i use, quite randomly there will suddenly be a large crack come from the speaker and then they make a rumbling bassy sound for around 10 seconds and then it stops.

during the rumbling the cone of my speakers seems to move some 2 - 3 cms extended past the enclosure.

the volume that this happens at doesnt matter, ive only ever been listening at low volume as im worried if the volume is higher and it does this crack again that it may pop my speakers!

hopefully this has happened before and is fixable!
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I can't help, but there may be something in another thread that you could tag onto. As well, letting us know what equipment you're using will make it easier for others to help efficiently. They may recognize the issues you describe on equipment that they have. Perhaps just a one-line signature addition.

I do see a recent thread here that may be a similar issue. http://http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1113

It sounds as though it could be an incompatibility issue with some outboard equipment. How are you getting music to the Dev?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(25-Apr-2015, 02:43)Damon Wrote: I can't help, but there may be something in another thread that you could tag onto. As well, letting us know what equipment you're using will make it easier for others to help efficiently. They may recognize the issues you describe on equipment that they have. Perhaps just a one-line signature addition.

I do see a recent thread here that may be a similar issue. http://http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1113

It sounds as though it could be an incompatibility issue with some outboard equipment. How are you getting music to the Dev?

ive used both the line in from an integra amplifier and the usb out from my audio pc both of which do the same thing.

i want to set my power conditioner up before i do any more testing but unfortunately its a public holiday here (yep on a saturday) so i cant buy all the power cables needed to plug anything into it!!
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
for diagnosis... one speaker ?, both speakers ?,
if one speaker change the speaker cables around see what happens
then change the line in cables around (unlikely to help if you have same prob with USB)
etc

in other words, how do you know it's the amp ?
and if so is it isolated in one channel or two ?
having the same amp problem in both channels would point to a common-cause source, power supplies etc, but more info would help.....

EDIT: I think Damon may have something,.... his link needs correcting though, it's
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1113
i was under the impression that the volume from the AV receiver would have no bearing on the line level outputs for the speakers.

turns out i was wrong! i have my AV receivers set to be really low volume at startup regardless of what volume it was turned off at.

to be at a decent audible level the amps were around the +15 db volume mark and higher.

i believe this caused the issues in the devialet because now that i have the AV receiver set to full volume and the volume on the devialets in the negative range the issue appears to have disappeared!
Thanks Krass. I appreciate you following up and pointing our friend in the right direction.

Complux. Good to hear that you've sorted the noise source. My own set up is very simple, so my experience with the Dev has been problem-free.  I thought there was some discussion about power conditioners in general not being a good match, or a good idea, with Devialet amps. I don't know what thread that was in, or if it is true at all. Just a thought that occurred to me, reading your set up.

But I will say that I am very interested in the Vivid speakers. I don't think anyone in Canada even imports them, but from the reviews I've read, I would love to hear them. By this I mean that the descriptions of the speakers seem to describe the sonic signature that I like. It will be interesting to hear your impressions about this combination. I would expect it to be very detailed, quick and free of anything like audio fuzz. Of course, if you have a photo or two....
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(26-Apr-2015, 03:05)Damon Wrote: Thanks Krass. I appreciate you following up and pointing our friend in the right direction.

Complux. Good to hear that you've sorted the noise source. My own set up is very simple, so my experience with the Dev has been problem-free.  I thought there was some discussion about power conditioners in general not being a good match, or a good idea, with Devialet amps. I don't know what thread that was in, or if it is true at all. Just a thought that occurred to me, reading your set up.

But I will say that I am very interested in the Vivid speakers. I don't think anyone in Canada even imports them, but from the reviews I've read, I would love to hear them. By this I mean that the descriptions of the speakers seem to describe the sonic signature that I like. It will be interesting to hear your impressions about this combination. I would expect it to be very detailed, quick and free of anything like audio fuzz. Of course, if you have a photo or two....

once i complete my set up in the coming weeks i will make a thread in the "my system" section.

i dont want to say anything one way or the other until ive finished.

for example... im running the speakers off of cheap stock standard speaker wire at the moment because i ordered my proper speaker connection wires 5 weeks ago and they still havent arrived!
I have noticed that with SAM enabled I hear the cracking and rumbling if I move the volume of my 250 in the + range. It is quite easy to hear when no music is playing.
I never play music this loud and I only hear it when I move the volume control, not when it sits in a given position.

I wonder if other users hear the same. This is clearly a bug, but as I have not seen others reporting it until now I assumed it was my 250 misbehaving. If many have the same problem we should report it to Devialet.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(26-Apr-2015, 09:13)ogs Wrote: I have noticed that with SAM enabled I hear the cracking and rumbling if I move the volume of my 250 in the + range. It is quite easy to hear when no music is playing.
I never play music this loud and I only hear it when I move the volume control, not when it sits in a given position.

I wonder if other users hear the same. This is clearly a bug, but as I have not seen others reporting it until now I assumed it was my 250 misbehaving. If many have the same problem we should report it to Devialet.

I have just tried this on my D800.  In the +dB range, nothing playing, SAM enabled, the system appears more or less silent.  But much as oggs says, there is a kind of bassy blip noise, not too loud, coinciding with each 0.5dB change made when in the +dB range.  In the -dB range with SAM enabled, silence.  With SAM disabled, silence even running up through the +dB range.  Not something I would worry about too much because this sound does not occur when not adjusting the volume, and I don't ever use the amps in the +dB range anyway.  It would be interesting to know the reasons for this though.