Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheaper with SAM vs. more expensive without?
Hi all

I'm in the market for new speakers - my current set are pretty rare and in any case I need to get a pair in darker wood for our new house.

So, here's an interesting dilemma - is the impact of SAM so strong that it might make (say) a €3K speaker outperform a €4K+ speaker which isn't supported yet? Since I might have to listen to the speakers at a dealer which doesn't do Devialet, it's an interesting challenge - I could of course bring my D200 but I would prefer not to do that.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
It’s an interesting dilemma.
Do you have a Devialet dealer nearby, and if so does that dealer stock any SAM-ready speakers? I ask because it would give you an opportunity to listen to a couple of speakers with (and without) SAM). Even if you don’t intend to buy those speakers, it would give you a feel for the difference SAM can make.
My feeling, based on reports I’ve read here and elsewhere and also on a short demo I had of the B&W 805Ds with SAM, is that SAM can make a very significant difference, but that the SAM difference varies quite a bit from model to model.
Also I’m going to speculate that the SAM effect will be greater for small and medium-sized speakers. Others may see things differently.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I've read several opinions of people saying it has a greater effect with smaller speakers, especially with bass extension. I really hope one day my speakers get it.
Thanks for the replies guys - yes, it is an interesting issue, and I've been wondering should I go for cheaper speakers to try to fund the offer on the 2nd amp which seems to be on in the UK and therefore I assume in the Eurozone too.

Also, I feel I *have* to focus on the SAM-ready (or likely SAM-ready) range which does constrain my options a bit. I would expect they will do all B&W, Sonus Faber, Magico, the main French brands [Focal etc], along with some exotica.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(24-Jun-2014, 08:48)Neffa Wrote: Also, I feel I *have* to focus on the SAM-ready (or likely SAM-ready) range which does constrain my options a bit. I would expect they will do all B&W, Sonus Faber, Magico, the main French brands [Focal etc], along with some exotica.

Can you give us an idea of what speakers you are thinking of?

I've been told that around 100 speakers will be SAMified by the end of the year.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
PMC Twenty 24; Spendor D7; Proac D28/D30; Kudos Super 20. Need to be available in walnut finish, floorstanding, position close-ish to wall, price circa €3-5K (would look at ex-dem). SF Veneres might be an option too.
Dublin, Ireland
(24-Jun-2014, 10:12)Neffa Wrote: PMC Twenty 24; Spendor D7; Proac D28/D30; Kudos Super 20. Need to be available in walnut finish, floorstanding, position close-ish to wall, price circa €3-5K (would look at ex-dem). SF Veneres might be an option too.

Yes I'd definitely give the Sonus Faber speakers a try. Ideally a home demo if you can.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
http://youtu.be/6TVLTrCz6eA

Vs no SAM
http://youtu.be/mjugsETvYQs
Hello all,

I would suggest that you make the effort and bring your 200 to the listening - After all, few other amplifiers have the qualities of the 200 :-D
This will give you an opportunity to do a first selection on what speakers could be interesting to review in your home. Personally I would start reviewing SAM-ready speakers first together with your 200 and then compare your impressions with the impression you get with non SAM-ready speakers.

Good luck!
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
One would have expected (well, hoped anyway) that more-expensive speakers would be better designed/engineered than cheaper models and thus benefit less from SAM. However, I understand that SAM improves performance in areas that are difficult to address through traditional speaker design so maybe that is not the case?

My Wilson Benesch speakers have isobaric drivers and are not SAM-ready. Does anyone have experience of the impact of SAM on speakers with similar drivers?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)