Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Regen from UpTone
(28-Apr-2015, 18:49)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm wondering how one will work on a Melco. I'm not sure what the Melco is doing - it may be doing a similar thing which might make a USB Regen pointless?

I guess the Melco has a very good USB output. Other vice it would not sound as good as it does. The Regen would not be pointless even with a Melco because there is a length of cable involved between the Melco and your Devialet. The Regen would make sure the signal going in to the Devialet be cleaned up and with a correct impedance.
I think you'd be surprised if you get to try a Regen with a Melco.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Yep - I noticed one of the key points of the Regen is the impedance matching achieved with a really short connection. This device with a cheaper USB cable could outperform a more expensive cable. Hmm!
Is this in any way similar to the iUSB Power? Seems so, doesn't it?

Thanks, cheers!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(28-Apr-2015, 20:32)LBameule Wrote: Is this in any way similar to the iUSB Power? Seems so, doesn't it?

Thanks, cheers!

L

It is similar yes, but if you read a bit in the threads I've linked to you'll also see it does some things very differently. I tried the iUSB Power this winter and found it did not do much for sound quality. The Regen, however, improves sound quality on a level I have not experienced before. And the device is so new in my system it's probably not even broken in yet.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Great, very interesting! I use Ethernet to connect to the D, so it's not something I would get right now, but maybe if SQ becomes better than Air-ETH, then it looks like a no-brainer at all... Have you been able to compare both inputs, or read anything where this comparison has been done? Also, how much impact would you think this device have in a setup where a higher quality source as an Aurender x100 or similar is used?

Thanks!

L

(28-Apr-2015, 22:40)LBameule Wrote: Great, very interesting! I use Ethernet to connect to the D, so it's not something I would get right now, but maybe if SQ becomes better than Air-ETH, then it looks like a no-brainer at all... Have you been able to compare both inputs, or read anything where this comparison has been done? Also, how much impact would you think this device have in a setup where a higher quality source as an Aurender x100 or similar is used?

Thanks!

L

I have relatively little experience with AIR as I usually got white noise within minutes. If I try to compare with my memory of sound from AIR-ETH  I'd say that USB with Regen is definitely on par. Air is very good and has a relaxed kind of presentation. Regen is very dynamic, but at the same time also relaxed and sort of give you direct access to the performers intent with the music. Here I also refer to what I hear using Jplay6 of course.
A description like this is has too many variables to be reliable so ultimately you'll have to listen to the Regen in your own system.
As for your Aurender question I think I responded to Rufus further up the thread on the value of a Regen with a Melco. Should be quite similar
Devialetless!
Wonderful, thank you very much, it's been extremely helpful. All the best!

L

Ogs,
Did you try eliminating the power supply completely? Since Devialet does not need/use 5v of the USB, and if the device is using the power supply just for this, maybe it works without it? Can you check?

Thanks
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I did ask the UK Melco distributor about this. He thinks the regeneration and jitter control of the Me,co ought to be better, but it would be interesting to try the Regen. I don't really want to buy one to just to test that theory though!
(29-Apr-2015, 16:39)Kunter Wrote: Ogs,
Did you try eliminating the power supply completely? Since Devialet does not need/use 5v of the USB, and if the device is using the power supply just for this, maybe it works without it? Can you check?

Thanks

Never mind...
I just RTFM'd the FAQ and found this

Once you are certain that no 5VBUS is needed, then yes, you can run the REGEN from a 5V or a 12V supply. The main function, USB hub chip signal regeneration and impedance match runs off of 3.3V from a separate ultra-low-noise regulator, thus 5V input allows for plenty of drop required for that regulator to do its thing.

Apparently you still need the power... but a crazy thought would be to use a simple clean 5v battery supply just for the signal regeneration and impedance match...

cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey