Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released
After loading 17 firmware files (7.1.3) into my D200, I pulled out the SD card and discovered there are now only 15 files left.  What happened to 2 of the files?  Is this normal?  Just making sure I did not mess up anything and that my D200 is performing up to its full potential.  Thank you in advance for your responses.
aisip,

I'm not even remotely clear on what happens, but there are quite a few posts about this; I wish I could point you in the right direction as to what threads to search for, but alas.

As I understand it, there are fewer files on the card after a firmware update. I believe that the Dev does this is so that the unit does not try to update the firmware every time the unit is powered up. This would be an issue if the SD card were left in the amp after the update.

So I'm certain that you have done it all correctly, and nothing is messed up. By most reports, 7.1.3 is the connoisseur's FW of choice. Not that i know, as I am still on 7.1.1....
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(07-Aug-2015, 05:41)Damon Wrote: aisip,

I'm not even remotely clear on what happens, but there are quite a few posts about this; I wish I could point you in the right direction as to what threads to search for, but alas.

As I understand it, there are fewer files on the card after a firmware update. I believe that the Dev does this is so that the unit does not try to update the firmware every time the unit is powered up. This would be an issue if the SD card were left in the amp after the update.

So I'm certain that you have done it all correctly, and nothing is messed up. By most reports, 7.1.3 is the connoisseur's FW of choice. Not that i know, as I am still on 7.1.1....

Thank you Damon!  I will now have peace of mind.  Happy listening.
Could someone please help me to get 7.1.3 - i can`t find a working download link and need to get rid of 8.1.3! a download link would be highly appreciated, kindest regards - Tom
(29-Aug-2015, 10:10)Tomthecat Wrote: Could someone please help me to get 7.1.3 - i can`t find a working download link and need to get rid of 8.1.3! a download link would be highly appreciated, kindest regards - Tom

I put a copy in here - SW 7.1.3 CLIENT.zip

https://devialetchat.com/downloads/firmware/

The Configurator on devialet.com is (currently) designed to write version 8.x configs which 7.x firmware may not  understand, particularly the SAM config whch changed in format between 7.x and 8.x.
(29-Aug-2015, 11:11)Rufus McDufus Wrote:
(29-Aug-2015, 10:10)Tomthecat Wrote: Could someone please help me to get 7.1.3 - i can`t find a working download link and need to get rid of 8.1.3! a download link would be highly appreciated, kindest regards - Tom

I put a copy in here - SW 7.1.3 CLIENT.zip
https://devialetchat.com/downloads/firmware/
The Configurator on devialet.com is (currently) designed to write version 8.x configs which 7.x firmware may not  understand, particularly the SAM config whch changed in format between 7.x and 8.x.

I originally thought this myself and was worried that I couldn't generate new configs for my preferred firmware (7.1.1).  But when I look at config files made with the current Configurator - it appears that two SAM profiles are written - one that matches my original profiles, and one of the new profiles.  I assume the older firmware just ignores the new profiles.

In my latest config file I get these two sections, both for fact 8s:

"MATCHING_CONFIG":{
    "SAM_ENABLE":"ON",
    "HP_NAME":"PMC FACT 8",
    "_speakers_path":"PMC!$PMC FACT 8",
    "SAM1":0.0027768027,
    "SAM64":0

"SAM_CONFIG":{
    "SAM_ENABLE":"ON",
    "SAM_VERSION":21,
    "HP_NAME":"FACT 8",
    "_speakers_path":"PMC!$PMC FACT 8",
    "SAM1":2,
    "SAM128":0

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-Jul-2015, 22:39)dizzyorange Wrote: I went from 7.1.1 > 8.1.3 > 7.1.3. While I liked the increased clarity of the 8 series driver, the 7.1.3 really blew me away. There's a fullness to the sound, a weight and gravity.. almost like tube bloom of sorts.

Are there more persons downgrading from 8.1.3 to 7.1.3?

After some months with 8.1.3 beta I loaded 7.1.3 and again I am happy with Devialet sound. This fullness of sound, its weight and lack of sibilants is very nice. For some time I was happy with 8.1.3 beta but during last two weeks sound seemed to me too thin and with too much of sibilants. 

Also sound with 7.1.3 is just louder than with 8.1.3
(05-Nov-2015, 20:52)moreno1973 Wrote:
(26-Jul-2015, 22:39)dizzyorange Wrote: I went from 7.1.1 > 8.1.3 > 7.1.3. While I liked the increased clarity of the 8 series driver, the 7.1.3 really blew me away. There's a fullness to the sound, a weight and gravity.. almost like tube bloom of sorts.

Are there more persons downgrading from 8.1.3 to 7.1.3?

After some months with 8.1.3 beta I loaded 7.1.3 and again I am happy with Devialet sound. This fullness of sound, its weight and lack of sibilants is very nice. For some time I was happy with 8.1.3 beta but during last two weeks sound seemed to me too thin and with too much of sibilants. 

Also sound with 7.1.3 is just louder than with 8.1.3

Two questions please.
Does it work properly with the new configurator?
Is the Phono input quieter?
theaudioguru
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.
(05-Nov-2015, 20:52)moreno1973 Wrote: [quote='dizzyorange' pid='21647' dateline='1437946772']
I went from 7.1.1 > 8.1.3 > 7.1.3. While I liked the increased clarity of the 8 series driver, the 7.1.3 really blew me away. There's a fullness to the sound, a weight and gravity.. almost like tube bloom of sorts.

I tried 8.1.3 again just because I wanted to try a couple of DSD files for the first time. I kept it running for a good few days, the extra depth in the bass with SAM being quite addictive. But overall I ended up reverting back to 7.1.1 as usual. I just find the 8.x more fatiguing, and the added depth of bass comes at a loss of the punchy bass higher up, and a much harsher treble (with my speakers and to these ears).

On a system already a tad bright, 8.x just doesn't work for me. I sense I'll move mine on if the next releases and SAM for my speakers remain the same as v 8. Not just because of that, but all things considered I'm falling well out of love with it. In fact, if there was any rival in a similar case I'd probably jump now!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

There are many issues related to using the configurator with older firmware. For me, the noise from phono stage is pretty much identical between 7.x.x firmware and 8.x.x.

I used to love 7.1.3beta, and after many months on 8.1.3, a few weeks ago I did try switching back to 7.1.3beta. (with old config cards) I was quite surprised to find I didn't like it as much as the 8.1.3, so soon reverted back (forwards) to the latest firmware.