Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Listening to music
Hi! The whole point of being interested in Hi-Fi equipment in general and Devialet especially is listening to music. I have rediscovered Dire Straits and the sound picture created by the song Ride across the river from Brothers in arms with the dry bass and flute is just amazing, along with the title song of course.

A question: listening to Natalie Merchant, San Andreas Fault, Tigerlily (1995) which is a beautiful song, is there something wrong in the first seconds? The treble is a little harsh and suddenly it improves? It is just me and my ears?

I would once again recommend the forever young and dead Radka Toneff. It is just beautiful and as far as I can go regarding jazz.

Please recommend me your favorite music on your Devialet. You might expand my horizon and give me unforgettable listening experiencesSmileSmile
Rusken
Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 - Devialet Phantom
(26-Jun-2014, 18:57)Rusken Wrote: Hi! The whole point of being interested in Hi-Fi equipment in general and Devialet especially is listening to music. I have rediscovered Dire Straits and the sound picture created by the song Ride across the river from Brothers in arms with the dry bass and flute is just amazing, along with the title song of course.

A question: listening to Natalie Merchant, San Andreas Fault, Tigerlily (1995) which is a beautiful song, is there something wrong in the first seconds? The treble is a little harsh and suddenly it improves? It is just me and my ears?

I would once again recommend the forever young and dead Radka Toneff. It is just beautiful and as far as I can go regarding jazz.

Please recommend me your favorite music on your Devialet. You might expand my horizon and give me unforgettable listening experiencesSmileSmile
Rusken

Just listened to Brothers in Arms for the first time on a high-end system. Yep, Ride Across the River has a beautiful soundscape, doesn't it. By coincidence, I listened to a bunch of Natalie Merchant albums this week, including Tigerlily. Don't know if it's my speaker's resolution, but I don't hear any problems in the first seconds of San Andreas Fault (anyone else?). Will have more resolution in a few weeks with speaker upgrade. Right now, I have SF Electa Amator IIs, which have been sounding amazing these days.

Never heard of Radka Toneff, but listening to Butterfly on Spotify as I type and liking it quite a bit so far.

I wonder if you'd like Sara K.'s Made in the Shade (www.stockfisch-records.de/stckff/sf_popup_wdws/sarak_cd_mits_pu.html). It's an elegant, intimate and wonderfully performed and recorded album. I love the way Devialet renders it. I listened to it regularly when auditioning speakers.

Speaking of Dire Straits, how about Mark Knopfler's Privateering (www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=73745 in 24-96). I think it's a fine album, and I like the sound. Favorite tunes: Go Love; Bluebird.

There are no fillers on Rosanne Cash's latest album The River and the Thread (www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=153868 in 24-44-1). Love it.

If you want to show off your Devialet, just put on the studio master of Bob Marley's Kaya. So amazingly recorded. Sun Is Shining blows me away every time, not to mention the hit Is this Love. Legend also sounds great, both available at HDTracks.

As I'm listening to Radka's voice, I'm wondering whether you'd like Louise Rogers, if you don't already know her. I have her Black Coffee in 24-192 and had it on my speaker auditioning playlist.

Let's revisit this regularly...
Hi dannyBCN. Thank you for your answer. I am sorry for my late reply, but you have given me some hours of inspired searching and listening. I can't compete with your source quality as I am solely useing Wimp HiFi (lossless streaming). The MK Privateering is great. It is now a house guest! Quality music and recording. Sara K and Linda Rogers is not on Wimp so I didn't get to those and Rosanne Cash started a little too much country for me, so I skipped on. Bob Marley, Kaya, Fantastic. I can just imagine how it sounds with your studio master high res source. How much does that improve? Maybe not in percentages, but more: neglegible, some, difference, big difference...

Enjoy your music
Rusken
(03-Jul-2014, 18:44)Rusken Wrote: Hi dannyBCN. Thank you for your answer. I am sorry for my late reply, but you have given me some hours of inspired searching and listening. I can't compete with your source quality as I am solely useing Wimp HiFi (lossless streaming). The MK Privateering is great. It is now a house guest! Quality music and recording. Sara K and Linda Rogers is not on Wimp so I didn't get to those and Rosanne Cash started a little too much country for me, so I skipped on. Bob Marley, Kaya, Fantastic. I can just imagine how it sounds with your studio master high res source. How much does that improve? Maybe not in percentages, but more: neglegible, some, difference, big difference...

Enjoy your music
Rusken

I really like the Privateering and find my way back to it regularly. If you have a free Spotify account and are curious about the Sara K.: http://open.spotify.com/album/4ODwvl5k3KeUs3Hm7XAg0U. Or Louise Rogers, but Black Coffee isn't on Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/4fJKIbPQztelYa9z4JA9Co. This is Come Ready and See Me, which is very nice, too. As for Kaya, I've only heard the studio master on my high-end system, so I can't compare to the CD. In general, I find high res recordings more smooth and natural, especially 24-192. The differences you hear, if any, I'm sure depend on your system and how it's components are put together. Bob Marley's recordings are fantastic.
(26-Jun-2014, 18:57)Rusken Wrote: Hi! The whole point of being interested in Hi-Fi equipment in general and Devialet especially is listening to music. I have rediscovered Dire Straits and the sound picture created by the song Ride across the river from Brothers in arms with the dry bass and flute is just amazing, along with the title song of course.

Rusken

Well said! I'm not that technical (unlike many on this forum), but I do love my music.

You might want to give Laurie Anderson's Bright Red a listen; as well as being very engaging, it's also the best recorded music I've ever heard. The vocals are extraordinary.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB